The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm going to reply to you here because this is where we should be talking...

Original post by tateco
Ah, I remember :tongue: You're the person with perfect A-level choices and the natural ability for languages (jealousy :wink: )

Well, I came on TSR in Year 11 and it was here I discovered what subjects I should pick. Generally though, I think it's better picking the subjects you enjoy, which is what did anyway.

Learning a language is generally alright when you've got people to practise it with and media (music, websites and films) in that language to access too. Although, this year I really haven't put enough effort into my German as I should have :s-smilie:
Reply 541
Original post by tateco
I've only had one exam so far, C2. It was pretty good, a couple of silly mistakes but still hoping for high marks! :smile: When is everyone finished their exams by?

June 20th which is C4 for me.
June 22nd, D1, the bane of my existence. :rolleyes:
Does anyone do MEI maths and want to help me pass M1? :smile:
If, hypothetically speaking, I were to get an A* in further maths next year and an A in maths, but my offer was A*AA specifying the A* in maths, what are the chances the likes of UCL, Cambridge or LSE would accept me?
I've always been curious of that..
Reply 543
Original post by SillyString
If, hypothetically speaking, I were to get an A* in further maths next year and an A in maths, but my offer was A*AA specifying the A* in maths, what are the chances the likes of UCL, Cambridge or LSE would accept me?

I think they might give compromises and want an two As in Further Maths and Maths as Opposed to an A* in Maths.
I was just wondering for some advice on the five universities i should choose to do straight economics in. From research i have found that Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bath seem to be some of the most respected for straight economics (l100/l101)
I am currently taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Geography

With predictions of A* in maths A* or A in economics and AA in FM and Geography

Also what chances do you think i have of getting in on any of the above and which would you suggest are the best for lifestyle and best for career prospects.

Thanks in advance
Reply 545

UCL 'only' want AAA if you do further maths, and A*AA if you only do normal maths. Not sure about the others, why do you think you might not get an A* in normal maths?
Original post by tateco
UCL 'only' want AAA if you do further maths, and A*AA if you only do normal maths. Not sure about the others, why do you think you might not get an A* in normal maths?

Oh well that's calming me down slightly xD
Mechanics. I don't mind the 90% in C3 and C4 thing, it's the fact you must level out as an overall A, and it's well.. mechanics. :rolleyes:, I was never the physics type, it doesn't make much sense to me.
Reply 547
Oh well that's calming me down slightly xD
Mechanics. I don't mind the 90% in C3 and C4 thing, it's the fact you must level out as an overall A, and it's well.. mechanics. :rolleyes:, I was never the physics type, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Having just checked UCL's website it seems they have changed it this year, and they still want you to have A*AA (with A* in maths) regardless to whether you do further maths as well :s I'm sure you'll get it! If you're average 90% in all the other units then you'll only need like 40% (maybe even less!) in mechanics to average 80% overall.
Original post by tateco
Having just checked UCL's website it seems they have changed it this year, and they still want you to have A*AA (with A* in maths) regardless to whether you do further maths as well :s I'm sure you'll get it! If you're average 90% in all the other units then you'll only need like 40% (maybe even less!) in mechanics to average 80% overall.

Oh dear. Haha, thank you so much, I always need someone to think rationally whilst I freak out xD
Well I sure hope I got over 90% for C1 and 2 this year too. :tongue:
Reply 549
Oh dear. Haha, thank you so much, I always need someone to think rationally whilst I freak out xD
Well I sure hope I got over 90% for C1 and 2 this year too. :tongue:

Don't panic :smile: Just do lots of revision for the up coming exams and you can re-evaluate the universities you're hoping for in August.
Reply 550
Original post by tateco

I was not aware of this! AAA offer from UCL would be amazing. :eek:
Reply 551
Original post by Groat

It would be good but I'm sure a lot of people in this thread are likely to get the
A*AA anyway if they get accepted. I'm not sure if they do this any more for straight econ, they did it last year and they do it this year for Stats, economics and finance but I can't see anything about it on straight econ :/
Reply 552
Original post by Groat

Indeed it would. Here's hoping!
Reply 553
It amazes me that UCL has more applicants per place than Cambridge - I guess it's because most people realise when they're not Cambridge material?
Original post by tateco
It would be good but I'm sure a lot of people in this thread are likely to get the
A*AA anyway if they get accepted. I'm not sure if they do this any more for straight econ, they did it last year and they do it this year for Stats, economics and finance but I can't see anything about it on straight econ :/

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/prospectus/booklet-pdfs/econs_ug10.pdf

"L100 (Economics): A*AA to include grade A* in Mathematics;
VL51 (Philosophy and Economics): AAA to include grade A in Mathematics;
LG13 (Economics and Statistics): A*AA-AAA to include Mathematics at grade A* or grade A in both Mathematics and Further Mathematics;
LL17 (Economics and Geography): AAA-ABB to include Mathematics at grade A and normally Geography at grade A or B.
A pass in a further subject at AS level or equivalent is required for all programmes."

I remember seeing something about an AAA for UCL L100, if you have further maths, but I can't seem to find the information on it.. either I have a hazy memory (hopefully not) or I'm not searching hard enough.. I'll check through my prospectuses once the exams this week are done :tongue:
Reply 555
Original post by Groat
It amazes me that UCL has more applicants per place than Cambridge - I guess it's because most people realise when they're not Cambridge material?

Really? What's the figure?

SillyString, I'm pretty sure it's what they did last year but not this time round
Reply 556
Original post by tateco
Really? What's the figure?

SillyString, I'm pretty sure it's what they did last year but not this time round

On their FAQ it says 18 applicants per place.
Reply 557
Original post by Groat
On their FAQ it says 18 applicants per place.

That's insane :| Looks like UCL is even more competitive than Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and LSE
Reply 558
Original post by tateco
That's insane :| Looks like UCL is even more competitive than Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and LSE

It wasn't clear whether this was just for L100 or for all their joint honour courses including Economics. Don't forget that some people will apply to UCL with no chance, whereas most people don't go for Cambridge. :eek:
.. I knew that? Not. I don't think far ahead really :rolleyes:

xD Gah. Well, you know, we only need one place each?
We only need to be within the top 200 of all applicants to get a place..

Do they do the same thing as LSE, where they give out more offers than places, to ensure there's no space in the clearing..? That could boost figures. xD

Latest

Trending

Trending