The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ??????????????????
I got that. Though you'd have got 1 mark lol. The other mark is either a lot more detail or say seaweed at the surface produce oxygen through photosynthesis.

I though oxygen is less dense then water so its more likely to float. But that not in the mark scheme i still feel im correct.??:confused::confused:
Original post by therapist_1
lol...:smile:

Thanks...something I'll start to watch from friday evening.

50 eps.
I think grade boundaries are <70% for an A
Original post by HaimishaParekh
Ohhh, thank goodness. Evidently, you can see I panicked. :colondollar:

It's undestandable, the exam's less than two days away. :frown:
last year it was 68/85 for A....I hope its lower this time..
I'm praying for easy maths and economics cos they might be. Chemistry and biology will be hard and need to focus on them :frown:
Original post by Elliekate1
Simply because at the surface it is more exposed to air so the water will be more oxygenated. But as far as I am aware we don't need to know why, we can just take it as a given fact. :smile:

Original post by ??????????????????
I got that. Though you'd have got 1 mark lol. The other mark is either a lot more detail or say seaweed at the surface produce oxygen through photosynthesis.

Or there are waves which overlap the air, which create bubbles which then dissolve into the water. That's our biology teacher's idea anyway.
Reply 466
is everyone ready for unit 2 biology paper?
Reply 467
i really hope tissue fluid doesn't come up thats the worst thing :eek:
Dont worry....we all are!!:redface:

I think I'm okay at most stuff I just need to brush up on a few bits but I'm still really nervous cos AQA always ask really awkward questions !!!
last year it was 68/85 for A....I hope its lower this time..

Really? It was that high? :eek:

Wait.......which year was this? For the paper that we did in June 2010, you only needed 59/85 to get an A and I think it only went up by a few marks to around 62 for the January 2011 paper.

Ah well, here goes the practice run for Unit 5! :biggrin:
what!!! That is quite low...but still wont make it till there...
Ffs. Why is there so much to remember?!?!
On another note, some of the questions they ask are ridiculous. Take this one for example:

2 (d) The scientists found that, in a second species of bacterium, 29% of the bases were guanine.

Explain the difference in the percentage of guanine bases in the two species of
bacterium.

Mark scheme: Different proteins;
Different genes;
Different (DNA) base sequences

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but, that last marking point aside, how do the other 2 points "explain" the difference in % of guanine bases? They merely describe the effects of having different DNA base sequences. :rolleyes:
Original post by Introverted moron
On another note, some of the questions they ask are ridiculous. Take this one for example:

2 (d) The scientists found that, in a second species of bacterium, 29% of the bases were guanine.

Explain the difference in the percentage of guanine bases in the two species of
bacterium.

Mark scheme: Different proteins;
Different genes;
Different (DNA) base sequences

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but, that last marking point aside, how do the other 2 points "explain" the difference in % of guanine bases? They merely describe the effects of having different DNA base sequences. :rolleyes:

There is no need to forgive you cuz your not stupid some answers are truely ridiculous such as the use of pesticide and herbicide...I just dont get where you have to pick that from...
Reply 474
guys, in bio 2 what determines if something happens by mitosis or meiosis and cell cycle, dont really understand the main concept because Qs on it are hard

much help is appreciated
Original post by kingsmod1

Original post by kingsmod1
guys, in bio 2 what determines if something happens by mitosis or meiosis and cell cycle, dont really understand the main concept because Qs on it are hard

much help is appreciated

mitosis happens in the body cells where genetically identical cells are required.
meiosis happens in the production of gametes to produce haploid number and genetically different cells (responsible for variation).
Any one care explaining to me what ethical issues I need to know. Please....:smile:
Reply 477
mitosis happens in the body cells where genetically identical cells are required.
meiosis happens in the production of gametes to produce haploid number and genetically different cells (responsible for variation).

cheers and possible Qs on cell cycle and explanation of cell cycle please?
Reply 478
Anyone tell me how to work out 5dii) on June 2010...
Reply 479
Why in Gods name would you .zip the question paper? It's a PDF for crying out loud.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending