The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No, I didn't think you were.

sick isn't it haha. wear strong padded gloves and you should be OK. remember these guys are pro's so they take much more of a beating...
Original post by Hedgeman49
Yes, you should have open hands when blocking. Holding is a fairly complicated rule, but if you don't grab the guy you can't get it called on you! There are some situations where grabbing would be allowed but these are pretty difficult to judge when you're on the field, and not worth going into now. Read the NCAA rulebook section on holding if you want the wording of the rule.

I think I will probably get by on the principle that I just don't grab them. Don't want to overcomplicate it for myself!

The university league is probably around lower Div 1 / upper Div 2 standard on the whole, but there are a few teams (Birmingham, Loughborough, Hertfordshire and Portsmouth) who could probably hold their own in the Premier. The variance in skill in BUAFL is pretty huge.

I did see that Portsmouth were really good. Is there a reason these are the better teams or did it just happen and then self-perpetuate?

There are a couple of British-born guys in the NFL, Osi Umenyiora and Laurence Tynes (who both happen to play for the Giants) spring to mind. However they may as well be American because they left here at a very young age.

I had read about these guys but they don't really count. I would have thought there would have been at least one or two British players who've been good enough or close. I think I read that some have been in training camps.

You shouldn't have much difficulty getting into the Renegades squad - I know a couple of guys who play there. They play in Div 2. The vast majority of squads will let you turn up and join mid-season because most are short of players! It would make no sense to turn people away.

Ah fair enough, well that sounds good. I'm not sure I really understand the roster system then - I thought you had to declare this at the beginning of the season and only these players could play....

I saw that. Did not like.

Where d'you play nun?
Original post by paddy__power

I saw that. Did not like.

Where d'you play nun?

Nobody seems to know where I should play. The ideas so far have been full back in a pistol (my only game time), traditional i/pro set full back and nose tackle. Then again if I'm fast enough for running back and strong enough for nose tackle it's feasible that I could be earmarked for more positions than that. lol.

In senior I think they're set on me at full back in a 2 back set unless I impress someone playing DT. At Uni I think coach is waiting for the freshers to come in and see where I fit in best.

I can say I won't be quarterback, offensive tackle, defensive back or receiver.
Original post by burningnun
Nobody seems to know where I should play. The ideas so far have been full back in a pistol (my only game time), traditional i/pro set full back and nose tackle. Then again if I'm fast enough for running back and strong enough for nose tackle it's feasible that I could be earmarked for more positions than that. lol.

In senior I think they're set on me at full back in a 2 back set unless I impress someone playing DT. At Uni I think coach is waiting for the freshers to come in and see where I fit in best.

Well at least you've narrowed it down. It's probably a good thing that you can possibly play a variety of positions as you can try and focus on the one you enjoy. This rather than having a choice between a couple of positions.

Do you currently play for two teams then? That must be a lot of training! The uni team I plan to join is three times a week - I don't really know how intensive AF training is but presumably no less than other sports.

:eek: Why has he not got that little finger fixed?!

Do you currently play for two teams then? That must be a lot of training! The uni team I plan to join is three times a week - I don't really know how intensive AF training is but presumably no less than other sports.

Not really a lot of training since the seasons are in each others' off-season. At the moment the Uni team is doing 1 session a week made up of chalkboard and some non-contact drills to prepare us for next year's system. I don't think many Uni teams train hard at football in the off season. I believe even the Lions just have one S&C session a week for the team at the moment. Not that it matters for them because a load of their players play senior anyway.
I think I will probably get by on the principle that I just don't grab them. Don't want to overcomplicate it for myself!

I did see that Portsmouth were really good. Is there a reason these are the better teams or did it just happen and then self-perpetuate?

I had read about these guys but they don't really count. I would have thought there would have been at least one or two British players who've been good enough or close. I think I read that some have been in training camps.

Ah fair enough, well that sounds good. I'm not sure I really understand the roster system then - I thought you had to declare this at the beginning of the season and only these players could play....

Funny little story here actually.

There was a guy at my uni (Staffordshire) quite a few years back called Jermaine Allen who played RB. On one game day, a Chicago Bears scout was travelling through Stoke (not sure why) and popped in to watch the game. He was very impressed with Allen and told him that he would love him to come play in Chicago if only his legs weren't as skinny. So Allen said to him "Give me a month and come back to me". For the next 4 weeks, he tied a tyre to his waist and dragged it round the field every night. After 4 weeks, the scout came back and signed him up to the practice squad. Not only that, he's also been in the New Orleans Saints practice squad. Think he's playing for Kiel Baltic Hurricanes in Germany now. He was meant to play in the Old Boys game the other week (where the current Stallions squad plays some old players) but he's currently doing jail time haha :biggrin:

Point of the story, it is possible for English players to be in the NFL. Just extremely rare. I think Jonny Wilkinson was meant to be joining the NFL at one point as a kicker :s-smilie:

Portsmouth won the title this year, and Birmingham won the two before that (and lost in the final this year). These teams have good coaches and tend to be able to find (and produce) good players. Uni teams tend to fluctuate quite a lot due to graduation, it's not unusual for teams to go from very good to very bad or vice versa within a couple of seasons for this reason.

I'm not entirely sure when it comes to BAFACL rosters, but BUAFL rosters can be updated through the season. As long as the player is registered before Wednesday they can play on Sunday.

Which teams do you play for? FB is a load of fun, basically O-line with a run up and less emphasis on technique, and a chance to touch the ball! Win win win...

Which teams do you play for? FB is a load of fun, basically O-line with a run up and less emphasis on technique, and a chance to touch the ball! Win win win...

Outlaws and Caesars. I kinda like running routes too though. I have quite good hands in general, OK straight line speed and crappy agility. My favourite position so far has been single back in the pistol.
Not really a lot of training since the seasons are in each others' off-season. At the moment the Uni team is doing 1 session a week made up of chalkboard and some non-contact drills to prepare us for next year's system. I don't think many Uni teams train hard at football in the off season. I believe even the Lions just have one S&C session a week for the team at the moment. Not that it matters for them because a load of their players play senior anyway.

The three a week must be during the season then which makes sense. I could do with the fitness anyway, ha!
Original post by Scott129
Funny little story here actually.

There was a guy at my uni (Staffordshire) quite a few years back called Jermaine Allen who played RB. On one game day, a Chicago Bears scout was travelling through Stoke (not sure why) and popped in to watch the game. He was very impressed with Allen and told him that he would love him to come play in Chicago if only his legs weren't as skinny. So Allen said to him "Give me a month and come back to me". For the next 4 weeks, he tied a tyre to his waist and dragged it round the field every night. After 4 weeks, the scout came back and signed him up to the practice squad. Not only that, he's also been in the New Orleans Saints practice squad. Think he's playing for Kiel Baltic Hurricanes in Germany now. He was meant to play in the Old Boys game the other week (where the current Stallions squad plays some old players) but he's currently doing jail time haha :biggrin:

Point of the story, it is possible for English players to be in the NFL. Just extremely rare. I think Jonny Wilkinson was meant to be joining the NFL at one point as a kicker :s-smilie:

Oh awesome. I just need to grow 4 inches and pack on 5 stone of muscle and I can make it at O line :awesome:
Portsmouth won the title this year, and Birmingham won the two before that (and lost in the final this year). These teams have good coaches and tend to be able to find (and produce) good players. Uni teams tend to fluctuate quite a lot due to graduation, it's not unusual for teams to go from very good to very bad or vice versa within a couple of seasons for this reason.

I'm not entirely sure when it comes to BAFACL rosters, but BUAFL rosters can be updated through the season. As long as the player is registered before Wednesday they can play on Sunday.

Makes sense really. I suppose good youth players will be drawn to the universities they know do well also.

The three a week must be during the season then which makes sense. I could do with the fitness anyway, ha!

Which uni are you at? Maybe they train 3x a week off season, I don't know.
Which uni are you at? Maybe they train 3x a week off season, I don't know.

I'm starting Reading in Oct.

It seems they train twice and again if they have no game though from looking again.
Outlaws and Caesars. I kinda like running routes too though. I have quite good hands in general, OK straight line speed and crappy agility. My favourite position so far has been single back in the pistol.

Outlaws seem to have a pretty easy schedule next year, Lions and Aces aside! Should go over .500.

Paddy's Reading on the other hand probably won't...
Outlaws seem to have a pretty easy schedule next year, Lions and Aces aside! Should go over .500.

Paddy's Reading on the other hand probably won't...

Is this because they are bad....

They had .500 exactly last season XD

Latest