The Student Room Group

Best Uni for Programming in C/C#/games programming

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

I would deffo recommend Derby uni if you want to go down the games, programming, animation etc route. My boyfriend is doing CGMA and the teachers there are fantastic! Hes had loads of good companies come in and give advice and stuff like Crytech (Dont know if thats the right spelling) some huge company from london who do films too.

But yeah, it really is a good uni :smile:

Come to one of our open days:

http://www.derby.ac.uk/opendays
http://www.derby.ac.uk/index.php?node=15211&form_refresh_single=0&form1=1&f1_eduCourseSearchText=Animation&f1_ok=Search&f1_fullOrPartTime=&f1_courseLevel=&f1_derbyOrBuxton=&subjectId=&pagetree=&editSessionid=&objectid=

hope this helps!
Reply 41
Since this thread has once more been resurrected: To get into the games industry do a proper course. Honestly, just about any maths, physics or computer science course is better preparation for a career in the games industry- check the "job requirements" pages of most major and minor studios to see what I'm talking about. Learning basic problem-solving and how to write code efficiently is held in significantly higher regard than being able to knee-jerk code in the fashionable language of the moment.

In that vein, doing Game Development at Derby just because they hire an engineer to come in and do a talk every month or so is not a good idea. It doesn't matter if it's "more fun", "fun" doesn't beget a good solid education.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by roblee
Since this thread has once more been resurrected: To get into the games industry do a proper course. Honestly, just about any maths, physics or computer science course is better preparation for a career in the games industry- check the "job requirements" pages of most major and minor studios to see what I'm talking about. .

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/computing/computingcourses

MEng Computing (Games, Vision and Interaction)
:wink: Imperial do games?
Reply 43
Original post by FinalMH
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/computing/computingcourses

MEng Computing (Games, Vision and Interaction)
:wink: Imperial do games?

That's a set of Meng modules supplementary to a BSc in Computer Science, not a standalone course.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by roblee
That's a set of Meng modules supplementary to a BSc in Computer Science, not a standalone course.

btw you do know computing is different compare to computer science right? just wondering
Reply 45
Original post by FinalMH
btw you do know computing is different compare to computer science right? just wondering

In what regard?
It is just a name.

"Computing" at IC is just the same as "Computer Science" at any other university in the same league as it.
Reply 46
Original post by FinalMH

Actually, it is just a different name for the course. It is Computer Science.
Reply 47
Original post by alexmsf
Actually, it is just a different name for the course. It is Computer Science.

naa it depend's some places have it different so i won't sure
Reply 48
Programming languages are really not important, once you understand the concepts you can pick up a new language in a couple of days. I speak from experience, and you can see from my signature that I am not making this up.
Reply 49
Original post by eliotball
Programming languages are really not important, once you understand the concepts you can pick up a new language in a couple of days. I speak from experience, and you can see from my signature that I am not making this up.

I'm starting to think of java and c# to be pretty identical ideologically, although there still are niggly little things like style conventions to familiarise yourself with.
Reply 50
Original post by gamer91
I'm starting to think of java and c# to be pretty identical ideologically, although there still are niggly little things like style conventions to familiarise yourself with.

Yeah, they are broadly the same.
Reply 51
^ As are most programming languages in the same paradigm. Bear in mind that languages really don't matter too much. They all do the same thing, and a skilled programmer shouldn't be bound to a single (set of) languages.
Reply 52
Do a degree in Mathematics or Physics. You will have lectures in MatLab and C++ (nearly same). Plus yours "advanced" knowledge of mechanics and Complex systems will be more valuable thn yours ability to model flying pig in
3D Max.
Yes you have to do MATHS.
Reply 53
Original post by Damix
MatLab and C++ (nearly same)

LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending