The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by Groat
It wasn't clear whether this was just for L100 or for all their joint honour courses including Economics. Don't forget that some people will apply to UCL with no chance, whereas most people don't go for Cambridge. :eek:

Still terrifying, I think it's because there's a lot of international applicants too
Reply 561
Original post by SillyString
.. I knew that? Not. I don't think far ahead really :rolleyes:

xD Gah. Well, you know, we only need one place each?
We only need to be within the top 200 of all applicants to get a place..

Do they do the same thing as LSE, where they give out more offers than places, to ensure there's no space in the clearing..? That could boost figures. xD

LSE only give out an extra 20 or something like that :tongue: But when you say it like top 200 it doesn't sound quite as bad as "You have to fight 18 other people to get your place"
Original post by tateco
Still terrifying, I think it's because there's a lot of international applicants too

The sheer number of international applicants who apply to LSE and UCL make the ratios look like that.
.. I knew that? Not. I don't think far ahead really :rolleyes:

xD Gah. Well, you know, we only need one place each?
We only need to be within the top 200 of all applicants to get a place..

Do they do the same thing as LSE, where they give out more offers than places, to ensure there's no space in the clearing..? That could boost figures. xD

They give out more offers than places (and this is true for pretty much every course at every uni) because :
1) Some will decline the offer
2) Some will insure the course but will get into their firm
3) Not everyone who firms it will get the required grades
Original post by tateco
LSE only give out an extra 20 or something like that :tongue: But when you say it like top 200 it doesn't sound quite as bad as "You have to fight 18 other people to get your place"

I prefer the optimistic version.. :smile: It gives me hope?

Original post by therealOG
They give out more offers than places (and this is true for pretty much every course at every uni) because :
1) Some will decline the offer
2) Some will insure the course but will get into their firm
3) Not everyone who firms it will get the required grades

And there's all those factors thrown in there too :tongue:, in my defence, at the welcome assembly they did also mention the whole clearing situation, (but the rest was probably mentioned too and I didn't make much of an effort to mention them..)
I may just stop talking at this point, I think if I continue, I'll embarass myself :tongue:
I prefer the optimistic version.. :smile: It gives me hope?
And there's all those factors thrown in there too :tongue:, in my defence, at the welcome assembly they did also mention the whole clearing situation, (but the rest was probably mentioned too and I didn't make much of an effort to mention them..)
I may just stop talking at this point, I think if I continue, I'll embarass myself :tongue:

You should apply for Warwick Maths - they offer places to 93% of applicants!!
About 40% accept it as their firm, and only 66% of firmers actually make the ridiculously high offer...
You should apply for Warwick Maths - they offer places to 93% of applicants!!
About 40% accept it as their firm, and only 66% of firmers actually make the ridiculously high offer...

Wow.. but don't they need STEP maths?
I heard the wanted STEP for things like morse too..,
I can do paper I with enough time and practice, but if you ask me to move up to II or III, I will kill myself.
Haha, wow. I knew a sixth form like that.. they gave out offers to basically anyone who applied, even people predicted only 5 B/Cs, and then their offer was 6 A*s..
Reply 567
Wow.. but don't they need STEP maths?
I heard the wanted STEP for things like morse too..,
I can do paper I with enough time and practice, but if you ask me to move up to II or III, I will kill myself.
Haha, wow. I knew a sixth form like that.. they gave out offers to basically anyone who applied, even people predicted only 5 B/Cs, and then their offer was 6 A*s..

It's a pretty good way of doing things I suppose, the MORSE course just looks like a bit TOO much maths for me though...
Original post by tateco
It's a pretty good way of doing things I suppose, the MORSE course just looks like a bit TOO much maths for me though...

If you guys are concerned with the possibility of applying for a Mathsy Economics course and also an Economics course (in regards to writing a personal statement), it can be done. A guy in my year got offers for both Warwick MORSE and LSE Economics, and someone on this forum has offers from Cambridge for Maths and LSE for Maths and Economics.
If you guys are concerned with the possibility of applying for a Mathsy Economics course and also an Economics course (in regards to writing a personal statement), it can be done. A guy in my year got offers for both Warwick MORSE and LSE Economics, and someone on this forum has offers from Cambridge for Maths and LSE for Maths and Economics.

Yes, I'm pretty sure for MORSE the PS can be about Statistics, Mathematics or Economics. They know their course is pretty unique and that lots of different applicants will be applying for it. That's why they have interviews, where you can then talk properly about why you want to do MORSE.
Do the top universities (Oxbridge, all russel group universitieds, UCL etc) allow people into their economics courses through adjustment?
Reply 571
Original post by bob dylan
Do the top universities (Oxbridge, all russel group universitieds, UCL etc) allow people into their economics courses through adjustment?

No.
Reply 572
Original post by Groat
Has anyone considered applying at different times during the period? I'm thinking of submitting Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Warwick by 15th October, then waiting a bit longer to choose my 5th choice. That way, if I've already been rejected by a few before Christmas, I can make my 5th choice a safe one, but if I've already got an offer, I can go for a more risky 5th choice.

Does that sound logical?

I'm thinking to applying to the same 4 but Oxford instead of Cambridge. What 5th choices were you considering, i thought maybe Bristol/Nottingham/Durham? And how do you know you can apply at different times??
Reply 573
okay so i wanted to do law at uni but tbh i don't think i'll get the grades and i've been thinking of economics (i know the grades aren't that much different but hey) HOWEVER i don't do maths or economics! i'm doing as english lit, history, geography, psychology and critical thinking (hopefully dropping critical and psychology - so will be down to 3). i'm looking at first choice being warwick/loughborough depending on my as grades. neither of these require maths but would i be at a disadvantage? it's not that i'm bad at maths, got an A at gcse, just couldn't take it due to subject pools not fitting - would have done it instead of psychology - but i am a bit out of practice and obviously will not have it to the same standard as some applicants. other uni's i'm looking at include leeds, leiecster, nottingham, cardiff, swansea. dunno if this is even relevant but economics isn't offered as an a-level at my school (only business and economics) and i've done gcse business and got an A.
SO yeah my question is would i be at a masiive disadvantage? my main worry is the maths situation, in terms of getting in, i'm sure i will be fine with the maths on the course from what i've heard at open days etc. thanks! :smile:
Reply 574
Original post by vfaz
okay so i wanted to do law at uni but tbh i don't think i'll get the grades and i've been thinking of economics (i know the grades aren't that much different but hey) HOWEVER i don't do maths or economics! i'm doing as english lit, history, geography, psychology and critical thinking (hopefully dropping critical and psychology - so will be down to 3). i'm looking at first choice being warwick/loughborough depending on my as grades. neither of these require maths but would i be at a disadvantage? it's not that i'm bad at maths, got an A at gcse, just couldn't take it due to subject pools not fitting - would have done it instead of psychology - but i am a bit out of practice and obviously will not have it to the same standard as some applicants. other uni's i'm looking at include leeds, leiecster, nottingham, cardiff, swansea. dunno if this is even relevant but economics isn't offered as an a-level at my school (only business and economics) and i've done gcse business and got an A.
SO yeah my question is would i be at a masiive disadvantage? my main worry is the maths situation, in terms of getting in, i'm sure i will be fine with the maths on the course from what i've heard at open days etc. thanks! :smile:

If you are applying to the top universities for Economics, you will need Maths. I suggest you reconsider if that's where you're aiming for.
Original post by vfaz
i'm looking at first choice being warwick/loughborough depending on my as grades. neither of these require maths but would i be at a disadvantage?

Warwick definitely requires full Maths A-Level for Economics I'm afraid...

I'm sure you could get into Law if you work for the grades though :smile:
Reply 576
Original post by donzy
I'm thinking to applying to the same 4 but Oxford instead of Cambridge. What 5th choices were you considering, i thought maybe Bristol/Nottingham/Durham? And how do you know you can apply at different times??

I have the same top 4 choices as Groat and am going to have Nottingham as my insurance (might not apply to LSE depending on UMS scores, maybe Bath instead). I hadn't heard of this submitting it in different parts either, although I imagine it would be quite good as you wouldn't get put into the "Oh, they applied to Oxbridge" category in the LSE admissions process.

To the above poster asking about economics instead of Law. Maths is DEFINITELY needed for Warwick and I think you'd struggle to get an offer from a top 10 university without it. Whilst good universities like Nottingham and York say you don't have to have it they will certainly prefer it, as most top economics courses will be very quantitative.

When is everyone going to start thinking about personal statements?
Original post by tateco
I have the same top 4 choices as Groat and am going to have Nottingham as my insurance (might not apply to LSE depending on UMS scores, maybe Bath instead). I hadn't heard of this submitting it in different parts either, although I imagine it would be quite good as you wouldn't get put into the "Oh, they applied to Oxbridge" category in the LSE admissions process.

To the above poster asking about economics instead of Law. Maths is DEFINITELY needed for Warwick and I think you'd struggle to get an offer from a top 10 university without it. Whilst good universities like Nottingham and York say you don't have to have it they will certainly prefer it, as most top economics courses will be very quantitative.

When is everyone going to start thinking about personal statements?

Ha judging by your Jan results, I don't think you of all people should be worrying about UMS :wink: Have you applied for any open days? I've applied to UCL and Bath :biggrin:

I think we start drafting personal statements when our A2 lessons start in a couple of weeks time.
Reply 578
Original post by jamiepango
Ha judging by your Jan results, I don't think you of all people should be worrying about UMS :wink: Have you applied for any open days? I've applied to UCL and Bath :biggrin:

I think we start drafting personal statements when our A2 lessons start in a couple of weeks time.

Long time since we last spoke! :tongue: How are your current exams going?

I've booked Nottingham, Bath and Cambridge. Was going to book the UCL one but the economics talk was fully booked so I didn't see much point :/ Hopefully I'll go to their next one in September or something.
Original post by tateco
Long time since we last spoke! :tongue: How are your current exams going?

I've booked Nottingham, Bath and Cambridge. Was going to book the UCL one but the economics talk was fully booked so I didn't see much point :/ Hopefully I'll go to their next one in September or something.

I know! I have finished my exams ( bar chinese), all went okay except I couldn't do one question in maths :angry: How did you find your exams? I think I'm gonna drop biology next year, the chemistry is starting to make sense and I'm sure I did better in the chemistry exams...

Nicee, I figured Nottingham would be to far away so I didn't apply for that one. Maybe I'll see you at Bath haha :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending