The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam REVISION THREAD.

Hey guys, lets help each other to get the best grade possible. Please just say your in and i will put you on the list. Good luck and please follow these rules.

.If you have an exam in the morning please get a good nights sleep.

.If you do take part in this cramming session please dont stay up really late if you are tired.

.Stay up as late as you want but please ensure that you get around 6 hours of sleep.

.Remember that our biology unit 2 exam is in the afternoon meaning we can work till late and still get a decent rest before our exam.

.Take pro plus and coffee/redbull but please do not take too much, take it in moderation as you may burn out by exam time. If you want to stay up till around 1 then do not take anymore high caffiene content after 5-7pm.

.Remember if you do not get enough sleep and or crash due to caffiene or sugar then you will heavily deacrease your chances of passing this exam. Take caution and be sensible with your session.

Good luck with your exams guys. Please inform me of any thing you do not like about the thread and i will do my very best to change it. Once again, last time i made this thread i got alot of critisism for advising people to stay up late as it will **** up your abilitie to do well. Once again, take caution and tell me your views on how one should conduct themselves during a late night revision venture. Thank you. :smile:

Mclovin123
STARMissyB
mike2niner4
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Personally, I don't think there's much point in staying up late for revise, you should be well past the 'revision' phase and into the pass paper/old questions phase to ensure you are top notch concerning exam technique. Sleep is there to help us remember the things we have learnt during the day so it's somewhat counter-intuitive to stay up late and expect to learn things.

My sister has this exam tomorrow (WJEC HumanBio Mod 2 - resit) and she's spending her time today going through 5(!!) pass papers and making annotated notes on the mark schemes, she ensures me that it's much more effective than simply 'revising' and has let her to get three 115+/120 UMS in her other three units. She's a know it all though, so she could be wrong!

Nevertheless, good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 01010000 01001010
Personally, I don't think there's much point in staying up late for revise, you should be well past the 'revision' phase and into the pass paper/old questions phase to ensure you are top notch concerning exam technique. Sleep is there to help us remember the things we have learnt during the day so it's somewhat counter-intuitive to stay up late and expect to learn things.

My sister has this exam tomorrow (WJEC HumanBio Mod 2 - resit) and she's spending her time today going through 5(!!) pass papers and making annotated notes on the mark schemes, she ensures me that it's much more effective than simply 'revising' and has let her to get three 115+/120 UMS in her other three units. She's a know it all though, so she could be wrong!

Nevertheless, good luck!

yes but i am cramming. The whole point of this thread is cramming. Its for people not at that stage yet,,, hence the use of the word cramming.
Oh, sorry. Cramming is a bad idea for biology, in my experience! Good luck, nevertheless.
Reply 4
Oh, sorry. Cramming is a bad idea for biology, in my experience! Good luck, nevertheless.

nah no worrys man. Yeh i know its terrible but its my only choice now i guess. Cheers, and good luck with you exams too :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah I have this exam tomorrow, absolutely dreading it!
Reply 6
Original post by STARMissyB
Yeah I have this exam tomorrow, absolutely dreading it!

yeh me too, but lets help each other to get it done :biggrin: spread the word of the thread :cool:
Can i just check something please? :smile:

Are all the 3 main carbohydrates, cellulose, starch and glycogen, all insoluble so the water potential isn't changed, or is it just cellulose??

Many thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by mike2niner4

Are all the 3 main carbohydrates, cellulose, starch and glycogen, all insoluble so the water potential isn't changed, or is it just cellulose??

Many thanks!

startch is insoluble in water and so is glycogen, not too sure about the water potentiol side of things, rivision noob here soooo lol
Reply 9
Original post by mclovin123
startch is insoluble in water and so is glycogen, not too sure about the water potentiol side of things, rivision noob here soooo lol

Do we even need to know about the water potential side of things in Carbohydrates?:confused:
Reply 10
Do we even need to know about the water potential side of things in Carbohydrates?:confused:

no idea but i will try to find out.
Reply 11
Original post by mike2niner4

Many thanks!

Can one of you guys explain to me meiosis. I dont get it. I get mitsosis but not mieosis lol not sure why. Could one of you help me?
In meiosis, does DNA replicate during Interphase, hence the amount of DNA in the cell increases?
Can one of you guys explain to me meiosis. I dont get it. I get mitsosis but not mieosis lol not sure why. Could one of you help me?

Well I'm no expert, I hate this topic, but I'll try...

This is what I remember off the top of my head:

•

There's 2 stages Meiosis I & Meiosis II

•

Meiosis only occurs in the gametes and leads to the production of genetically different cells

•

Haploid gametes are formed by Meiosis - the diploid number is restored at fertilisation

•

Crossing over- leads to new allele combinations on chromosones

•

Independant Segregation leads to new combinations of maternal and paternal chromosones in gametes

•

Both Independant Segregation and Crossing over lead to variation

Don't know if it was of any use really. I'm going to look it up in my revision guide now
Original post by phibetakappa
In meiosis, does DNA replicate during Interphase, hence the amount of DNA in the cell increases?

Yeah DNA replication occurs during prophase I think

Nevertheless, good luck!

I might be off topic but I just had to tell you your spoiler is HILARIOUS!

Remember that our biology unit 2 exam is in the afternoon meaning we can work till late and still get a decent rest before our exam.

Speak for yourself :tongue:

I have Stats 1 OCR MEI in the morning.
Reply 17
Original post by Insanity514
I might be off topic but I just had to tell you your spoiler is HILARIOUS!

it is lol and so is yours :tongue:
Original post by Reminisce
Speak for yourself :tongue:

I have Stats 1 OCR MEI in the morning.

Yeah same.. well, I have 2 exams, S2 and C2...
Woah so much revision to do, I should get off tsr.... :colondollar:
I have this tomorrow too - I've done quite a bit of revision but it's the exam technique I'm worried about :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest