The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Does anyone want to do a Q and A to help revise?
Reply 661
basically am stuck on genetics part. If a gene codes for a specific polypeptide chain how can you have different alleles which are the same gene because different alelles have different polypeptide chains( they usually have one amino acid thats different) and that would therefore make them different genes

Is it that the differences are so small, i.e. one amino acid difference still makes it the same polypeptide chain?

very confused
any ideas or explanation would be helpful?
Original post by liviaaa

Go for it :biggrin:
Reply 663
Original post by ScienceGeek3
Yeah or you could use the immunological comparisons of proteins which is the precipitate one.. I think :/

Yeah the serum thing.
Antigen etc...
more precipitate = more closely related.
Original post by angel1992
basically am stuck on genetics part. If a gene codes for a specific polypeptide chain how can you have different alleles which are the same gene because different alelles have different polypeptide chains( they usually have one amino acid thats different) and that would therefore make them different genes

Is it that the differences are so small, i.e. one amino acid difference still makes it the same polypeptide chain?

very confused
any ideas or explanation would be helpful?

Alleles are alternative forms of the same gene.. I don't know if that helps but I don't really understand what you're asking :/
Reply 665
Original post by liviaaa

Yes (btw i think you had PSYA1 today? hope it went well :biggrin: xx)
Reply 666
ah ok, but do we need to know the method (injecting animals etc)?
Reply 667
Alleles are alternative forms of the same gene.. I don't know if that helps but I don't really understand what you're asking :/

im basically asking if different alleles give different polypeptide chains, and if they do how can they be for the same gene because one gene codes for one polypeptide chain doesnt it?
Reply 668
Original post by EffKayy
Yes (btw i think you had PSYA1 today? hope it went well :biggrin: xx)

Yes I did, think it went quite well, but didn't like the essay Q that much! Thanks :biggrin:

--

Okay..

2 factors affecting transpiration rates, and how they affect the rate? (4 marks)
Original post by emmaf
ah ok, but do we need to know the method (injecting animals etc)?

You need to know the concept behind it which is that antigen binds to the antibody...
How do trees pass on alleles? Meiosis or Mitosis? and how?
Reply 671
Go for it :biggrin:

Function of the cell wall and chloroplasts?
Reply 672
PLEASE SOMEBODY help me! :frown:

Show the results of density gradient centrifugation for 3 replications of E.coli beginning with 14N and then transferred to 15N and the opposite way round.

Can someone explain how to do this - i really don't understand 14N and 15N :/ apart from the fact that 14N is lighter.
Original post by angel1992
im basically asking if different alleles give different polypeptide chains, and if they do how can they be for the same gene because one gene codes for one polypeptide chain doesnt it?

Oh I see, erm well yeah a gene contains the coded information for making polypeptides, so yes, I would assume different forms of a gene go on to make different of polypeptide chains :confused:
Reply 674
Original post by Master S P
How do trees pass on alleles? Meiosis or Mitosis? and how?

Depends on the type of tree. Some will need male/female seeds (meiosis), others can reproduce themselves (mitosis.)
Reply 675
Original post by ksimmi25
PLEASE SOMEBODY help me! :frown:

Show the results of density gradient centrifugation for 3 replications of E.coli beginning with 14N and then transferred to 15N and the opposite way round.

Can someone explain how to do this - i really don't understand 14N and 15N :/ apart from the fact that 14N is lighter.

Isn't this unit one? :confused:
Original post by emmaf
Can someone simply explain immunological response as a way of comparing the relationship between species please? :]

Basically:

Animal A's blood (serum) is injected into animal B who produces antibodies at a quick rate.

The antibodies made by animal B will be specific to the antigens on animal A's somatic (body) cells.

These are then extracted and mixed with animals C, D, E etc. If the antigen of animal C's cells are similar to that of animal A's , antibodies will bind to them and form a precipitate.

The more precipitate formed, the more similar the animal's antigens are to animal A's and so the more similar the species are.

This is my understanding, although don't hold me to it :')
Original post by liviaaa
Function of the cell wall and chloroplasts?

Cell wall provides mechanical strength to the plant and prevent the bursting of the cell due to osmotic pressure..

Chloroplasts are used in the process of photosynthesis as they contain thylakoids which contain the green photosynthetic pigment cholorophyll. They are also used for maximum light absorption!

How does the strutcture of starch differ from that of cellulose?
Reply 678
Original post by liviaaa
Yes I did, think it went quite well, but didn't like the essay Q that much! Thanks :biggrin:

--

Okay..

2 factors affecting transpiration rates, and how they affect the rate? (4 marks)

Temperature - increase in kinetic energy increases rate, water pulled up faster? Im not sure how to word this . cohesion tension theory?

Air movement - the more air movement there is, the more dispersed the humid layer gets so it lowers the water potential in the air. High water potential near stomata? mesophyl layer? Concentration gradient? ?
Reply 679
Original post by Aimo_1
You gonna be able to get the question paper for this one?

i could....but i aint gnna upload or anything after some idiots tried gettin rude :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending