The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by parallal
I think it'll either be structure/function of blood vessels (maybe comparisons), ventilation in fish and/or insects or movement of water through plants.

i just hope it'll be an easy question.

Possibly tissue fluid formation or movement of water thriugh roots ( apoplast/symplastic pathway) transpiration, antibiotic resistance
Reply 741
Original post by LifeIsGood
Starch
-Made from alpha glucose
-Joined by condensation [forms glycosidic bonds]

Features:
-Compact - able to store a large amount in a small space
-Insoluble - no effect on water potential
-Has branches which can be hydrolysed to release glucose

Cellulose
-Made from Beta-Glucose
-Joined by condensation
-Carbons 1 & 4, 1 & 6
-Flipping over of alternate molecules

Features:
-Unbranched chains lie side by side
-To form microfibrils
-Hydrogen bonds link the cross-linkages of chains to give tensile strength

Starch - Plants
Glycogen - Animals [Muscles/Liver]

thats amazing!! is there any chance you could summarise variation topic,the stuff we need to knw. thank you in advance..:smile:
I still haven't gone through all of the text book. And I have C2 Mathematics tomorrow.
Reply 743
Original post by oHellno

Original post by oHellno
Nope, in cells, the chromosome is just one chromatid, it's when the DNA replicates that another sister chromatid is formed.

Thanks seriously! :smile: Makes much more sense now to me about meiosis, because I was wondering before why there meiosis occurs twice.
Original post by al_habib
thats amazing!! is there any chance you could summarise variation topic,the stuff we need to knw. thank you in advance..:smile:

There's not much to Variation as it's an introductory topic to Unit 2.

Just read the Nelson Thornes and understand how standard deviation [not the calculation] works with graphs, cuz that may come up :smile:
Reply 745
Original post by ScienceGeek3
I think I've seen this question, I think it was an oxygen dissociation curve and the curve was shifted to the right, to show higher affinity for oxygen. At higher altitudes the partial pressure of oxygen is low and therefore if the people have many haemoglobin that have higher affinity for oxygen the haemoglobin can become fully saturated at lower partial pressures?:confused:

Why is MRSA transmission more prevalent in hospitals?

I think it was just more red blood cells, means more haemoglobin, so can carry a larger amount of oxygen to respiring cells?

Hmm.. because there are many people in small area (easier transmission), sick and elderly people, have weaker immune systems so more likely to be effected. Not sure what else - can you think of anything?
Reply 746
Once again, just checking my knowledge. Hope I'm not being annoying.

Comparisons between blood vessels:

Arteries: More elastic (to expand and recoil to even out blood pressure) and muscle fibres (to contract and relax to help push blood along) than veins, smaller lumen, no valves, carries oxygenated blood (except pulmonary artery which carries deoxygenated blood). Also has more muscle fibres/less elastic fibres than arterioles.

Veins: Less elastic and muscle fibres than arteries, larger lumen, valves (to prevent back-flow of blood), carries deoxygenated blood (except pulmonary vein which carries oxygenated blood)

Capillaries: One cell thick (for short diffusion pathway), flat cells (to reduce friction), smallest of the blood vessels, closer to tissues/cells so exchange occurs in capillaries, many branching capillaries increase surface area, small lumen

Arterioles: More elastic fibres than arteries (for vasoconstricion/vasodilation), less muscle fibres than arteries

Venules: I actually don't know that much about these. Don't really remember any past questions on venules.

All blood vessels: Have an layer, one cell thick, called the endothelium to prevent the blood from sticking to the sides of the vessel and reduces friction. surrounded by a layer of protein called collagen to protect the vessel from pressure
Reply 747
Hmm this question was in a paper:

The elephant is a very large animal. It has adaptations to increase heat loss from its
body surface. A mouse is a very small animal and it has adaptations to reduce heat
loss from its body surface. Explain why these animals have different adaptations for
heat loss.

The markscheme said:

-Elephant has smaller surface area to volume ratio
-Elephant generates more heat - wouldn't it be less heat, as they loose heat more slowly?
Reply 748
Original post by iguess

Original post by iguess
Thanks seriously! :smile: Makes much more sense now to me about meiosis, because I was wondering before why there meiosis occurs twice.

No problem. It was so badly taught, and I was literally so confused, actually had to google it and sift through all the overly complicated things that didn't apply to us lol.
Original post by liviaaa
I think it was just more red blood cells, means more haemoglobin, so can carry a larger amount of oxygen to respiring cells?

Hmm.. because there are many people in small area (easier transmission), sick and elderly people, have weaker immune systems so more likely to be effected. Not sure what else - can you think of anything?

Erm aside from what you have I don't think there is much more, I guess you could say that there is increased doctor-patient contact and therefore increased transmission if there is a lack of hygiene i.e doctor not washing hands after patient contact or something along those lines.. I guess they would only ask for max 2 reasons so we're okay :tongue:
Original post by liviaaa

Doctors moving from patient to patient as vehicles for the disease?
Reply 751
Original post by Rizzy J
Possibly tissue fluid formation or movement of water thriugh roots ( apoplast/symplastic pathway) transpiration, antibiotic resistance

With antibiotic resistance that's basically just natural selection right?
There's variation in the population. Mutation occurs which results in an allele with resistance to a certain antibiotic. The bacteria with the advantageous allele will survive antibiotic treatment and those without will die. The ones who survive can grow and reproduce, pass on the advantageous allele and its frequency will increase. The antibiotic will become less effective. The gene to resistance can be passed on by either horizontal gene transmission between bacteria of different species or by passing it along to offspring by vertical gene transmission.

Does that sound about right to you?
Reply 752
Original post by ScienceGeek3
Erm aside from what you have I don't think there is much more, I guess you could say that there is increased doctor-patient contact and therefore increased transmission if there is a lack of hygiene i.e doctor not washing hands after patient contact or something along those lines.. I guess they would only ask for max 2 reasons so we're okay :tongue:

Original post by SmithytheDrummer
Doctors moving from patient to patient as vehicles for the disease?

Reply 753

Once again, just checking my knowledge. Hope I'm not being annoying.

Comparisons between blood vessels:

Arteries: More elastic (to expand and recoil to even out blood pressure) and muscle fibres (to contract and relax to help push blood along) than veins, smaller lumen, no valves, carries oxygenated blood (except pulmonary artery which carries deoxygenated blood). Also has more muscle fibres/less elastic fibres than arterioles.

Veins: Less elastic and muscle fibres than arteries, larger lumen, valves (to prevent back-flow of blood), carries deoxygenated blood (except pulmonary vein which carries oxygenated blood)

Capillaries: One cell thick (for short diffusion pathway), flat cells (to reduce friction), smallest of the blood vessels, closer to tissues/cells so exchange occurs in capillaries, many branching capillaries increase surface area, small lumen

Arterioles: More elastic fibres than arteries (for vasoconstricion/vasodilation), less muscle fibres than arteries

Venules: I actually don't know that much about these. Don't really remember any past questions on venules.

All blood vessels: Have an layer, one cell thick, called the endothelium to prevent the blood from sticking to the sides of the vessel and reduces friction. surrounded by a layer of protein called collagen to protect the vessel from pressure

Might be worth noting that arteries have thicker walls to prevent them from bursting. And, about venules, they don't really come up. It's not in the NT textbook anyway. :smile:
If anyone has done June 2010 could you explain how to do 5dii to me please?!
I really don't understand how you get 8 for the answer:confused:

(It was the question about how many different types of gamete could be produced from the cell as a result of different combinations of maternal and paternal chromosomes...)
Original post by liviaaa
Hmm this question was in a paper:

The elephant is a very large animal. It has adaptations to increase heat loss from its
body surface. A mouse is a very small animal and it has adaptations to reduce heat
loss from its body surface. Explain why these animals have different adaptations for
heat loss.

The markscheme said:

-Elephant has smaller surface area to volume ratio
-Elephant generates more heat - wouldn't it be less heat, as they loose heat more slowly?

I'm sure for that question you should of refer to the mouse as it's easier to explain:

-Mouse has a large surface area to volume ratio
-More heat is lost per unit mass
-Smaller mammal has greater rate of respiration
-Oxygen required for respiration
Out of interest, what UMS did everyone get in Unit 1? Quote me :smile:
Reply 757
Original post by qwerty54321
Out of interest, what UMS did everyone get in Unit 1? Quote me :smile:

I got a C in jan, hoping for an 80 this time (paper went well :smile: )
Reply 758
Original post by oHellno
Might be worth noting that arteries have thicker walls to prevent them from bursting. And, about venules, they don't really come up. It's not in the NT textbook anyway. :smile:

Ok, thanks. :smile:
There isn't much information on them in the Hodder Education textbook either.
Reply 759
Does anyone think we'll get a magnification question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending