The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by Jorgeyy
Pm me a model answer regarding tissue fluid? It's the one thing I think I would struggle with if it came up for 6 marker ! <3

me too please ! I hate tissue fluid.
Original post by Nugard123
Is this all we need to know about fish?

- The pharynx is lowered, and pressure decreases inside the fish's mouth, so water is drawn in.
- The pharynx then closes and pressure is high in the mouth, so water is forced out past the gills over the operculum.
- Gills have many filaments and lamallae to increase surface area for efficient gas exchange.
- The counter current system improves gas exchanges because blood travels in the opposite direction of water. This means that blood always has a lower oxygen concentration than the water, so the oxygen will diffuse into the blood.

Can anyone add to that or is that all we need to know?

Yes that's pretty much it. Although you may want to add during inspiration when the mouth opens the pharynx is lowered due to muscle contractions and this also increases the volume of the chamber. But aside from that it looks fine :smile:
Original post by Nugard123
Is this all we need to know about fish?

- The pharynx is lowered, and pressure decreases inside the fish's mouth, so water is drawn in.
- The pharynx then closes and pressure is high in the mouth, so water is forced out past the gills over the operculum.
- Gills have many filaments and lamallae to increase surface area for efficient gas exchange.
- The counter current system improves gas exchanges because blood travels in the opposite direction of water. This means that blood always has a lower oxygen concentration than the water, so the oxygen will diffuse into the blood.

Can anyone add to that or is that all we need to know?

Looks pretty good to me, I probably wouldn't even mention the pharynx myself just that water is drawn in and forced out over the gills ^^
Reply 823
Is the cohesion, in cohesion tension theory, caused by hydrogen bonds or Van der Waals'?
cos the text book says hydrogen, but i'm sure my teacher told us it was Van der Waals' :/

and could someone try explain root pressure to me?

thanks!
Original post by ScienceGeek3

Yes that's pretty much it. Although you may want to add during inspiration when the mouth opens the pharynx is lowered due to muscle contractions and this also increases the volume of the chamber. But aside from that it looks fine :smile:

Ok thanks, that's the bit i was unsure of :smile:
Original post by Jorgeyy

Original post by Jorgeyy
Looks pretty good to me, I probably wouldn't even mention the pharynx myself just that water is drawn in and forced out over the gills ^^

ok thank you :smile:
Reply 826
Original post by DoaaK

Original post by DoaaK
what are the coronary arteries? D:

Blood vessels that supply the heart muscles with oxygenated blood.
Original post by ryan02
Is the cohesion, in cohesion tension theory, caused by hydrogen bonds or Van der Waals'?
cos the text book says hydrogen, but i'm sure my teacher told us it was Van der Waals' :/

thanks!

Hydrogen bonds. Save van der waals for Chemistry :P
Reply 828
Original post by DoaaK
what are the coronary arteries? D:

are they not just the Vena Cava, and the Aorta? otherwise i'm stuck too :/
Reply 829
Original post by ryan02

thanks!

pretty sure it's Hydrogen bonds (they are technically Van der Waals, but it's definitely h bonds.

When the casparian strip prevents water from entering via apoplast pathway, the water switches to symplast.
The salts in the endodermis are actively transported into the xylem and this makes a force which helps draw water up the plant. The force is root pressure.
Original post by Jorgeyy

ive never been taught about the pharynx i hope that doesnt come up
Reply 831
Original post by ryan02
are they not just the Vena Cava, and the Aorta? otherwise i'm stuck too :/

Coronary arteries are the arteries that give the heart oxygen. The vena cava brings deoxy blood into the heart and aorta sends oxy blood to the body.
The coronary arteries come off the aorta and supply the heart with oxygen, the heart doesn't take oxygen as the blood goes through the atrium/ventricles

does that make sense?
Original post by maymaymo
pretty sure it's Hydrogen bonds (they are technically Van der Waals, but it's definitely h bonds.

When the casparian strip prevents water from entering via apoplast pathway, the water switches to symplast.
The salts in the endodermis are actively transported into the xylem and this makes a force which helps draw water up the plant. The force is root pressure.

You may just want to add that due to the endordermal cells actively transporting ions and salts into the xylem, the water potential of the xylem is lowered and therefore water moves into the xylem via osmosis :smile:
Reply 833
Hydrogen bonds. Save van der waals for Chemistry :P

thanks!

...just thing is i remember her saying something about van der waals'. cos she knows nothing about chemistry, and spelt it completely wrong :/
Reply 834
You may just want to add that due to the endordermal cells actively transporting ions and salts into the xylem, the water potential of the xylem is lowered and therefore water moves into the xylem via osmosis :smile:

oh yeah, so what does root pressure do then? :confused:
The pharynx is not on the syllabus
Original post by jessplease

Same but i'll just use what he typed out in my answer if I have too...

It's not in my textbook or revision guide so I doubt it will lol probs done some external research

I'd say it's better to stick to syllabus/mark schemes
oh yeah, so what does root pressure do then? :confused:

You were correct, I was just adding in some details that may gain marks. The whole process creates a root pressure force, which helps to move water up the plant.

Jessplease <3 How did i know you'd be here
Reply 839
sorry it's not really clear.
So originally it's ii,
then this become Ii iI (during sc replication, the strands separate and become I, i, i and I which are joined by free nucleotides all 15N)
becoming : II, Ii, iI, II
this then becomes
II, II, II, Ii, iI, II, II II
8 results!

Sorry late reply, was revising som philosophy and ethics too :frown:

Yayy i get it :biggrin: thanks sooo much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending