The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I love the city so much, I'm finding any excuse to go back and explore. I want it down by heart by December :wink:
Reply 681
Original post by dnumberwang
I went to Edinburgh a few weeks ago... how does anyone take the scottish parliament seriously with a building like that?

Answer is: they don't. We call it "oor wee pretendy parliament." All New Labours cast offs and not good enough for Westminsters ended up there. Except now we have Alexander the Great the Second the Salmond, and Our Great Leader will take us forward into an "interdependent and confederal" future.
Reply 682
Original post by white_orchidea
So, should I consider other subject like Philosophy or Politics? I read that is not crucial to cover all the subjects, which will show up during the course. I visited my new college and they did not mention it that Business and Economics are that similar...

Politics is good, maybe History if you're not already taking it?

The poster who replied to you was right, Business and Economics are too similar to have together to A2. Plus Business Studies at A level is absolutely and utterly terrible. Most mind numbing simplistic stuff I've ever done.

I took it to AS fwiw, really wish I hadn't now, but yeah Politics is really good because it's fun (in my experience anyway), History would also be a good choice too, they like that.
Username: la-dauphine
Subject: English
College: Exeter (although I'm looking at Oriel too)
AS subjects: English lit, French, German, History
GCSEs: 7a* 2a 2b
Reply 684
How does everyone here decide which colleges to choose? I mean, I haven't a clue where to start!
Original post by soup
How does everyone here decide which colleges to choose? I mean, I haven't a clue where to start!

There's a sticky at the top of this board called "choosing a college" - you could start there :smile:
Original post by soup

Visit Oxford and have a look around at all the colleges you want to go to. I was considering the Turl street colleges because they're so central, but then I went there and decided I didn't like the feel of any of them
Reply 687
Original post by LtCommanderData
There's a sticky at the top of this board called "choosing a college" - you could start there :smile:

Wow, I must have just skimmed past that
Original post by dnumberwang
I went to Edinburgh a few weeks ago... how does anyone take the scottish parliament seriously with a building like that?

I know :frown: . Ugly and WAY over budget, and then the roof falls in. Don't get me started.
Original post by candide
Answer is: they don't. We call it "oor wee pretendy parliament." All New Labours cast offs and not good enough for Westminsters ended up there. Except now we have Alexander the Great the Second the Salmond, and Our Great Leader will take us forward into an "interdependent and confederal" future.

"Alexander the Great the Second the Salmond" - :rofl: I love that!
Original post by anyone_can_fly
I know :frown: . Ugly and WAY over budget, and then the roof falls in. Don't get me started.

I don't think it's that ugly. It's just, it's the kind of building that wouldn't look out of place in Disneyland :lol:
Reply 691
Just a quick off-topic question: When on my way to the open day I'll have the opportunity to stay in London for about 5 or 6 hours. I've been once before. Any suggestions on what to do? I figure some of you know their way around so any tips are much appreciated :smile:
Original post by MeeMee
Just a quick off-topic question: When on my way to the open day I'll have the opportunity to stay in London for about 5 or 6 hours. I've been once before. Any suggestions on what to do? I figure some of you know their way around so any tips are much appreciated :smile:

Budget? Touristy? Shopping (I'm assuming you're a girl?)

There's lots of free stuff to do! Especially round the central parts.
:party: so your school & mum let you to go to the open day? Which college & which day?
Original post by MeeMee

Oh and you should definitely visit Tate Modern. I love it! :smile:
Reply 694
I am indeed a girl. I guess more touristy, but some nice cafés to hang out and have comparably cheap lunch would be great too (and yeah, I know london just isn't cheap). I remember Covent Garden to be quite nice, I don't know how close to the center it is. (Is Victoria Station even in/close to the center? Really, I don't know anybody who's worse at orienting themselves than me...) And I guess it would be cool to see Buckingham Palace because last time I was in London I was only there for a day and only saw the back of Buckingham Palace not knowing what it was... Thanks for the help, Brand New Eyes!
Reply 695
Original post by Phia7
:party: so your school & mum let you to go to the open day? Which college & which day?
Oh and you should definitely visit Tate Modern. I love it! :smile:

That's one of the few places I've been to and I loved it and therefore do not want to go there with little time on my hands because really, I could spend days in there :smile:
Original post by MeeMee
I am indeed a girl. I guess more touristy, but some nice cafés to hang out and have comparably cheap lunch would be great too (and yeah, I know london just isn't cheap). I remember Covent Garden to be quite nice, I don't know how close to the center it is. (Is Victoria Station even in/close to the center? Really, I don't know anybody who's worse at orienting themselves than me...) And I guess it would be cool to see Buckingham Palace because last time I was in London I was only there for a day and only saw the back of Buckingham Palace not knowing what it was... Thanks for the help, Brand New Eyes!

Walk from Victoria to Buckingham Palace, across Green Park and to Green Park tube and then bam! you're in Covent Garden (eastbound) :yes:

There's a really nice creperie next to South Kensington (Piccadilly westbound from Green Park). Lots of places around Victoria, like Bella Italia. If you have some money you can have high tea at the Ritz (opposite Green Park tube) :biggrin:
Original post by MeeMee

Go to the Tate and the British Museum :smile: or see a show!

(Buckingham Palace was constructed on a budget and isn't particularly fantastic: Ben Brandt of the architectural blog Rat and Mouse likened it to "Stalinist slab of monochrome with all the warmth of a cell-block") :tongue:

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 698
Might make it to the open day, so any recommendations for stuff to do/see in Oxford? Particularly interested in second hand bookshops, especially ones selling old students' books or music scores (aspiring muso!) :smile:
Original post by Lac.
Might make it to the open day, so any recommendations for stuff to do/see in Oxford? Particularly interested in second hand bookshops, especially ones selling old students' books or music scores (aspiring muso!) :smile:

Blackwell's Music Shop on Broad Street :yep: Also downstairs of Oxfam :yep:

Also: :hi:

Latest

Trending

Trending