The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Syllabus Model answers for :

Insects use of Tracheae to exchange gases?

Adaptations of Fish for gas exchange?

Cheers in advance
Original post by ScienceGeek3
It is through inspiration, in brief, the mouth opens, the floor of the pharynx is lowered due to muscle contractions, the volume of the chamber increases, the pressure decreases and so water enters the mouth. The water then passes over the gills and exchange occurs :smile:

... wat. :nothing:

we don't need to know this do we? :cry:

Edit: I'm on AQA, gonna guess (Hope) you're on a different exam board. :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 862
It is through inspiration, in brief, the mouth opens, the floor of the pharynx is lowered due to muscle contractions, the volume of the chamber increases, the pressure decreases and so water enters the mouth. The water then passes over the gills and exchange occurs :smile:

Thanks! Do you have to include opercular valves because that really confused me as i have never learnt it but it was in the mark scheme..
Reply 863
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Fish can move water by ventilation. Is that what you mean? :smile:

I thought i would've been that but its something about pressure and valves which i haven't learnt :s-smilie:
Don't you agree a paper only takes like 1 hour 15 for a proper run through?

You literally got 30mins to check/maybe do the question you skipped
Original post by cherri3
Thanks! Do you have to include opercular valves because that really confused me as i have never learnt it but it was in the mark scheme..

You could do if you wanted to, however even in the NT books it just states that water after being taken in through the mouth is forced over the gills and out through an opening on each side of the body, so I wouldn't worry too much about them :biggrin:
Original post by cherri3
I thought i would've been that but its something about pressure and valves which i haven't learnt :s-smilie:

I don't know that stuff either. :afraid: This is why I avoid TSR around exam time.

Good luck tomorrow btw! :smile:
im hoping heamoglobin does not come up much!!!
... wat. :nothing:

we don't need to know this do we? :cry:

Edit: I'm on AQA, gonna guess (Hope) you're on a different exam board. :p:

I am on AQA too unfortunately :tongue: I thought this was covered by ventilation in fish? Have you not covered this or maybe you have learnt something differently? I would check on the syllabus to make sure though!
Original post by maymaymo

Sorry late reply, was revising som philosophy and ethics too :frown:

ahh im doing ethics too with biol2 just wished they were on different days :frown:, too much information to know, the theories are a killer,
Reply 870
I don't know that stuff either. :afraid: This is why I avoid TSR around exam time.

Good luck tomorrow btw! :smile:

Hahaa and yet you're on it :P

Thanks you too! :smile:
Reply 871
You could do if you wanted to, however even in the NT books it just states that water after being taken in through the mouth is forced over the gills and out through an opening on each side of the body, so I wouldn't worry too much about them :biggrin:

Okay thank you i am so screwed for this exam i don't know anything although i keep revising and have really bad application skills :/
Original post by cherri3

:eek: :confused:

I've never seen the stuff you lot keep talking about come up? It's not in the markscheme! If it's the Specimen paper then it's just old exam questions put together.

And to the person that asked for gaseous exchange in fish - look at June 2009 markscheme
Original post by cherri3
Okay thank you i am so screwed for this exam i don't know anything although i keep revising and have really bad application skills :/

I'm sure you will be fine, just make sure you cover your content and practise with past exam questions to learn exam technique etc. There is a guaranteed how science works question and so I would go over things like reliability, bias, double blind trials etc just to make sure you pick up those fairly easy marks.

Good luck for it :biggrin:
I am on AQA too unfortunately :tongue: I thought this was covered by ventilation in fish? Have you not covered this or maybe you have learnt something differently? I would check on the syllabus to make sure though!

I'm an idiot, of course you are- thread title. :blush:

Nope, we haven't covered how water gets in and it's not in the textbook. :frown:

Ah well, too late for that now anyway! Good luck tomorrow. :smile:
oh and if there was a 6 marker on transpiration what kind of things would you write about? would you write everything from water moving into the roots, up the xylem? :s-smilie:
Original post by cherri3
Hahaa and yet you're on it :P

Thanks you too! :smile:

I know, I have nooo will power. But I'm not coming in tomorrow, people discussing exams makes me feel awful. :p: And the whole "that was so easy!" thing. D: Oh, man.
I'm an idiot, of course you are- thread title. :blush:

Nope, we haven't covered how water gets in and it's not in the textbook. :frown:

Ah well, too late for that now anyway! Good luck tomorrow. :smile:

Haha, no worries :wink:

Thank you, good luck to you too!
:biggrin:
i dont think transpiration will come up in a six marker coz there was a large part in january although none in the june 2010, that was a nice paper but they did come up with an application one that year about potomewters or somehting which made it a bit worse lol.
Original post by Jessica_94
oh and if there was a 6 marker on transpiration what kind of things would you write about? would you write everything from water moving into the roots, up the xylem? :s-smilie:

They will never make it that vague. They will give you a starting point e.g how water is moved up the xylem vessel etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending