The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolo-x
Insects have an waterproof exoskeleton made of chitin which prevents unwanted water loss.
They have tracheae which lead to holes in the surface of their exoskeleton called spiracles that can close to prevent evaporation of water when the insect is inactive. Branching off from the tracheae are tracheoles: the site of gas exchange in insects.

Smaller insects and inactive ones just use diffusion for gas exchange.

Larger insects during intense activity (e.g. flight) require more ATP so cells need more oxygen (because muscle contraction increases, so need for ATP increases, so rate of resp increases, so more oxygen is required to maintain rate of resp). Larger insects increase their oxygen supply by pumping their abdomen so more air moves in and out of the trachea

Water is withdrawn from the ends of the tracheoles during exercise because oxygen diffuses faster in air than in water, and to decrease the pressure so that air is pulled in faster.

Do they have waxy cuticles or is it just plants?
Reply 1001
Just found out that a 6 mark question came up on fish exchange in June 2009, is it likely to come up tomorrow then?
Original post by lolo-x
Insects have an waterproof exoskeleton made of chitin which prevents unwanted water loss.
They have tracheae which lead to holes in the surface of their exoskeleton called spiracles that can close to prevent evaporation of water when the insect is inactive. Branching off from the tracheae are tracheoles: the site of gas exchange in insects.

Smaller insects and inactive ones just use diffusion for gas exchange.

Larger insects during intense activity (e.g. flight) require more ATP so cells need more oxygen (because muscle contraction increases, so need for ATP increases, so rate of resp increases, so more oxygen is required to maintain rate of resp). Larger insects increase their oxygen supply by pumping their abdomen so more air moves in and out of the trachea

Water is withdrawn from the ends of the tracheoles during exercise because oxygen diffuses faster in air than in water, and to decrease the pressure so that air is pulled in faster.

Thanks! :biggrin: +ve rep. :wink:
Original post by heavencanwait_
OMG I actually understand this now lol, thank you! :biggrin:

I'm really glad you do. You cheered me up by saying that. :colondollar:

Bonne chance!
Original post by Kishanpatel
haha... -.- i know that... :tongue:

i was hoping for more like 'don't panic' or 'read the questions thoroughly' or something like that....

also can some1 shed some light on COHESION-TENSION THEORY

thanks!!

The water molecules have hydrogen bonds between each molecule so this causes them to stick to each other creating tension. You also have adhesive which causes it to stick to the walls of the stem. Cohesive is useful because it causes water to easily go up the stem when as it is pulled up by the others. Adhesive prevents the water falling back down the stem due to gravity.

So when water evaporates from the spongy mesophyll, the water potential is lowered. Mineral ions are pumped into the xylem through active transport to lower the water potential as well. Water goes up the stem. The cohesive forces cause it to pull up other water molecules and adhesive prevent it falling. Might also mention root pressure.
Original post by ??????????????????
Do they have waxy cuticles or is it just plants?

Put "waterproof coverings" for insects. :smile:
Original post by Kandy_Kain_94
Just found out that a 6 mark question came up on fish exchange in June 2009, is it likely to come up tomorrow then?

Probably not as a 6 marker then.
If it does, just mention counter currant system creates a concentration gradient allowing easier diffusion of oxygen into the blood. Stacked filaments and stacked lammele to increase surface area which also increases rate of respiration. Say it needs this because less oxygen in water than air.
Reply 1008
Arghhh, this is bad i'm still getting confused is transpiration..

A- evaporation of water vapour from plants
or
B- Uptake of water through a plant or tree

??
Just got 71/85 on June 2010 mock... think I marked it fairly

Now im gonna do Core2 Math papers for my exam in morning tomorrow instead

Happy with that lol, good luck everyone x
Original post by iguess

or

??

Transpiration is the evaporation of water from leaves
The Transpiration Stream is the passage of water through a plant. :-)
Original post by iguess

or

??

A. B is transpiration pull.
Reply 1012
Probably not as a 6 marker then.
If it does, just mention counter currant system creates a concentration gradient allowing easier diffusion of oxygen into the blood. Stacked filaments and stacked lammele to increase surface area which also increases rate of respiration. Say it needs this because less oxygen in water than air.

Yep, and DNA hybridisation has come up in June 2010 so not that either. Probably:
tissue fluid
gas exchanges in plants
Meiosis/Mitosis

Has factors affecting transpiration come up, I have feeling I've come across it?
Original post by iguess

or

??

Evaporation of water causes transpiration as water leaves the leaves causing a lower water potential so water travels from the soil, into root hair cells through the cortex, either atoplastically or systoplastically. Root pressure, cohesive tension and something else I forgot push it up.
The water molecules have hydrogen bonds between each molecule so this causes them to stick to each other creating tension. You also have adhesive which causes it to stick to the walls of the stem. Cohesive is useful because it causes water to easily go up the stem when as it is pulled up by the others. Adhesive prevents the water falling back down the stem due to gravity.

So when water evaporates from the spongy mesophyll, the water potential is lowered. Mineral ions are pumped into the xylem through active transport to lower the water potential as well. Water goes up the stem. The cohesive forces cause it to pull up other water molecules and adhesive prevent it falling. Might also mention root pressure.

I think thats cohesion which causes water molecules to stick together, and tension which pulls more water in to the leaf
Reply 1015
Original post by Some random guy

Original post by Some random guy
A. B is transpiration pull.

Thanks! It's because the NT book has the first definition!!
Reply 1016
Original post by iguess

or

??

Transpiration is the upward moving column of water in a plant from the roots cells to the stomata, according to my textbook. Its what happens after B, in your post, and A happens after transpiration. The evaporation of water from plants helps to maintain transpiration rate, as it creates a water potential gradient in the stomata.

Original post by Jorgeyy
Just got 71/85 on June 2010 mock... think I marked it fairly

Now im gonna do Core2 Math papers for my exam in morning tomorrow instead

Happy with that lol, good luck everyone x

AQA have a UMS converter, so 71/85 converts to 136/140, which is almost full marks, as you can see. 73 marks is 140/140, so good work. If you want to check your other papers-http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/ums_converter_as.php?id=04
Reply 1017
http://www.studentcreche.co.uk/resources/biol5.pdf

please pass this on to other people so it helps everyone! i just hope i told you this much earlier!
Original post by BeejTheone
I think thats cohesion which causes water molecules to stick together, and tension which pulls more water in to the leaf

I said that. Maybe poorly worded. The water is bonded with hydrogen bonds that cause them to stick to each other so when one is pulled they are also pulled with it. However tension is also created cos it's a bond. If you have a tug of war, there is tension due to the pulling.
I said that. Maybe poorly worded. The water is bonded with hydrogen bonds that cause them to stick to each other so when one is pulled they are also pulled with it. However tension is also created cos it's a bond. If you have a tug of war, there is tension due to the pulling.

Oh right i thought you mixed cohesion and tension up. Anyway gl tmo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending