The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jim Lee
Sorry that was me-my textbook defines transpiration as "the upward moving column of water from the root cells to the stomata", which is pretty much the answer that will get you all the marks in a definition, based on mark schemes. A is just evaporation, it speeds up transpiration rate by creating a water potential gradient.

My book defines transpiration as loss of water from plants surface :/
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
I'm really glad you do. You cheered me up by saying that. :colondollar:

Bonne chance!

Bonne chance pour tu aussi! [:
(Sorry probs spelt wrong xD)
What do we need to know about tissue fluid?
Reply 1043
Original post by Jim Lee
My book is AS only, but they have an A2 book in the same series as well. Its AS Biology for AQA by Michael Kent. I thinks its got a pretty good definition list in the back, and its easy to read as they cover pretty much everything you need in ever double page spread, and they give enough good images to help you understand.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=ISBN-13%3A+9780-19-915267-4&x=0&y=0

And the A2 level link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=ISBN-13%3A+9780-19-915267-4&x=0&y=0

My school also gives the book by Bill Indge, but i thinks its pretty awful to be honest. Here's the link anyway:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Biology-A2-Bill-Indge/dp/0340946199/ref=pd_sim_b_5

Hope this helps

Thanks Jim:smile: Definitely helped i think you accidently put the AS link for A2 too but got it thanks:http://www.amazon.co.uk/A2-Biology-AQA-Student-Book/dp/0199152705/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Thanks for it anyway, if it's awful definitely not using it I get confused easily enough anyway! +ve rep but me being new i've finished for today, so tommorow:tongue:

Good luck for the exam:wink:
Reply 1044
Original post by NewCrack
Grade boundaries are really low for this paper xD its about 62-67% for an A

For the jan 11 paper you needed 64 raw marks for 140 UMS.

How can you be so sure? Don't they decide after they mark?
Reply 1045
Original post by Some random guy
Well my textbook (the official one that's endorsed by AQA) says that transpiration is the evaporation of water vapour from plants. So does wikipedia for that matter. What you're describing is called Transpiration Pull.

You could have asked me this instead of negging me :P

Original post by BeejTheone
My book defines transpiration as loss of water from plants surface :/

Yeah, i think my book is wrong here-you really can't argue with wikipedia. Apologies for negging you.
Reply 1046
Original post by humy369
How can you be so sure? Don't they decide after they mark?

Technically yes-but they usually find that a lot of people only get around 65-70%. Apparently exam boards use the standard 80%=A, 70%=B usually, but because they write harder biology exams, they lower the grade boundaries. You also only need about 87% for them to scale up your mark to full UMS marks-i think its probably because very few people or no-one gets full actual marks, so they have to make it a bit fairer.
Reply 1047
how the **** do u do it??? whats your technique
(edited 12 years ago)
So who else is planning to pull an all nighter? We can help each other study and stay awake :smile:
Reply 1049
I wont-i'd rather be up early tomorrow to keep revising, and i don't have any red bull or caffeinated coffee. Probably wont sleep anyway, but i'm gonna try now.

Good luck everyone who has the exam tomorrow, and with any of your other exams as well-i know some people have maths tomorrow morning. Best of luck all!
I'm gonna go to sleep about 4ish....and then wake up at 6ish :teehee:
AH I GOT 48/85 in June 10.. I'm gonna fail:frown:
Could somebody explain what the hell root pressure is?
Original post by SugarLips.
AH I GOT 48/85 in June 10.. I'm gonna fail:frown:

AQA is the worst when it comes to Biology! :sigh:
Good Night and good luck :smile:
Original post by Master.K
Could somebody explain what the hell root pressure is?

When water encounters an apoplast block in the form of the casparian strip in the endodermis it enters the symplastic pathway into the endodermis. Active transport of ions reduces the W potential of the xylem so all the water moves into it.

The pressure created by the water diffusing in is responsible for root pressure, it is very low. Transpiration pull is more important.
Reply 1056
So who else is planning to pull an all nighter? We can help each other study and stay awake :smile:

Mate, I am
and ive just found an incred technique for memorising provided you have already shortened your notes.

litterally imagine a place known to you ... and associate everything with vivid objects and make funny scenarios ..
e.g
imagine a river near you ... except its flowing with blood.......
then this massive rectangular boat splits into 4. flows with it ... (haemoglobin ..quartenary structure.. each strip of boat= pp chain..)
each strip has a Bright red block letter H ( represents haem groups) containing iron and giving it red colour.
then imagine 4 massive O2 phones flying into boat ( represents 4 molecules of oxgen haemoglobin can carry) imagaine loads of O2 phones as if they were flying around like the keys in harry potter 1st movies... and that that the boat is attracted to to the keys like a magnet ( high affinity with high partial pressure).
the boat now flows down the blood river making stops in places that do no not have any 02 phones around them ( respiring cells ....)
etcetc

i have been doing this 5 minutes for each topic... and its like i cant forget it ...
use sexy women ..
use whatever you want .. just make sure you can repeat the story..
its speeding up my revision like Mad...
i might even be able to get some sleep.
apparently this how the Memory champions of the world ... remember 32000 words/deck of cards with ease..
and its working for me
That's an interesting scenario :P
Reply 1058
That's an interesting scenario :P

yeh man you've just got to come up with random ideas fast ..
honestly if you really put effort in ... so you can like see the place through your eyes..
you can't forget it in short term....
its like if you watch a Movie... you can explain everything that happens .. but 5 weeks later ... you won't be able to explain with as much detail etc....
play that movie in your head now ... watch it ... make it interesting ..
and talk about it tomorrow when they ask you to explain it :biggrin:
Original post by A_clizzy
yeh man you've just got to come up with random ideas fast ..
honestly if you really put effort in ... so you can like see the place through your eyes..
you can't forget it in short term....
its like if you watch a Movie... you can explain everything that happens .. but 5 weeks later ... you won't be able to explain with as much detail etc....
play that movie in your head now ... watch it ... make it interesting ..
and talk about it tomorrow when they ask you to explain it :biggrin:

I use this technique, I do it to memorise like a list of 50 + numbers. Understanding the material is equally as important because a lot of the q's test your understanding of the subject :smile:

Nice scenario btw :smile:

When is your BIOL2 exam? 1:30 right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending