AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
Need help with mitosis

could someone explain why the answer is BCDEA
Reply 1061
and this question 5, i have no answers, but it makes no sense

(edited 12 years ago)
6marker on apoplast and symplast pathway -------> no thanks!!!!!!!!!
Reply 1063
Original post by A_clizzy

Original post by A_clizzy
Mate, I am
and ive just found an incred technique for memorising provided you have already shortened your notes.

litterally imagine a place known to you ... and associate everything with vivid objects and make funny scenarios ..
e.g
imagine a river near you ... except its flowing with blood.......
then this massive rectangular boat splits into 4. flows with it ... (haemoglobin ..quartenary structure.. each strip of boat= pp chain..)
each strip has a Bright red block letter H ( represents haem groups) containing iron and giving it red colour.
then imagine 4 massive O2 phones flying into boat ( represents 4 molecules of oxgen haemoglobin can carry) imagaine loads of O2 phones as if they were flying around like the keys in harry potter 1st movies... and that that the boat is attracted to to the keys like a magnet ( high affinity with high partial pressure).
the boat now flows down the blood river making stops in places that do no not have any 02 phones around them ( respiring cells ....)
etcetc

i have been doing this 5 minutes for each topic... and its like i cant forget it ...
use sexy women ..
use whatever you want .. just make sure you can repeat the story..
its speeding up my revision like Mad...
i might even be able to get some sleep.
apparently this how the Memory champions of the world ... remember 32000 words/deck of cards with ease..
and its working for me

Hahah I know did a similar cue to psychology.. U find yourself smirking in exam! :smile:

Just had coffee - a few hours should do it seen as exams in afternoon :wink:

GOOD LUCK to everyone! x
Can somebody tell me how to do the magnification question in the jan 10 paper q 1bii thanks. :smile:
Original post by Master.K
Can somebody tell me how to do the magnification question in the jan 10 paper q 1bii thanks. :smile:

Magnification = image / original size
Reply 1066
Original post by Benevolence
I use this technique, I do it to memorise like a list of 50 + numbers. Understanding the material is equally as important because a lot of the q's test your understanding of the subject :smile:

Nice scenario btw :smile:

When is your BIOL2 exam? 1:30 right

yeh I think so ... 1:30 or 2:00pm
understanding is vital ... because almost everything you asked requires you to apply knowledge.. but if you cant remember it is very difficult to apply...
I don't know if its because of the pressure for me to remember that this technique is working so well....
because I sware im having a great time ... in my head right now :biggrin:

Dna helicase = is an Axe seperating siamese twins (breaks down h bonds)... btw the siamese twins are the most gorgeous women ..
Dna polymerase= is superglue (joins H + bonds/ specific base pairing)
all this happens in a conservatory... = semi conservative replication.

IMAGINATION =:smile:
I have wasted alot of time in the past with inefficient revision.. so happy right now
Reply 1067
Magnification = image / original size

imagine a rubbish drawing of a house on paper.... you make it into a paper aeroplane... then just throw it outside .. and lands on top of your own house...
image/original size. you cant believe it is the paper on top of the house... so you bring out your magnifying glass to check....

sounds long ... but it can be dne in 5 seconds... u wnt forget
What time is the exam tomorrow?
Depends on your centre. I believe they have to take place between 1-2pm. So if you're not sure, get there before 1.
What time is the exam tomorrow?

In the afternoon. Depends when your college starts it. I have it at around 1:15,
urgh......... cant bear the thought of sitting in there till 3pm :O
Good luck!!!!!!
Im more scared of maths at 9:30 lols
Reply 1072
Original post by Rahul.S
going over biol2...probz finish all papers by late 2night

Yo chem 1 mark scheme geeeeezer wa u think coming up??
good luck to evy1!!:smile:
Original post by lolo-x
Insects have an waterproof exoskeleton made of chitin which prevents unwanted water loss.
They have tracheae which lead to holes in the surface of their exoskeleton called spiracles that can close to prevent evaporation of water when the insect is inactive. Branching off from the tracheae are tracheoles: the site of gas exchange in insects.

Smaller insects and inactive ones just use diffusion for gas exchange.

Larger insects during intense activity (e.g. flight) require more ATP so cells need more oxygen (because muscle contraction increases, so need for ATP increases, so rate of resp increases, so more oxygen is required to maintain rate of resp). Larger insects increase their oxygen supply by pumping their abdomen so more air moves in and out of the trachea

Water is withdrawn from the ends of the tracheoles during exercise because oxygen diffuses faster in air than in water, and to decrease the pressure so that air is pulled in faster.

when insects respire an aerobically, they produce lactic acid in muscle cells which lowers the water potential :. so water diffuses from tracheoles into muscle cells by osmosis.this makes diffusion of O2 faster, so actively respiring cells get O2 quicker.

do we need to knw this stuff coz i didnt find in the syllabus.
In general what do we need to know about the variation topic..Tx alot
good luck everyone!!
How do you work out questions 2b in the jun10 paper, the diameter question.
Original post by al_habib
when insects respire an aerobically, they produce lactic acid in muscle cells which lowers the water potential :. so water diffuses from tracheoles into muscle cells by osmosis.this makes diffusion of O2 faster, so actively respiring cells get O2 quicker.

do we need to knw this stuff coz i didnt find in the syllabus.

No we don't. :smile:
Original post by Some random guy
No we don't. :smile:

Do we need to talk about water potential at all for the insects gas exchange?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending