The Student Room Group

TSR Piano Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1840
Original post by Haeron
Oh Schumann, why are you so hard? I used to hate you, NOW I SPEND MY MORNINGS TRYING TO PLAY YOU.

What are you playing?
Reply 1841
Original post by scherzi
What are you playing?

I have volume 4 of an old Augener collected works edition including the three sonatas, the concertos, and the Fantasie, as well as other bits and pieces. I also have the Symphonic Etudes lying around...
Reply 1842
Original post by Haeron
I have volume 4 of an old Augener collected works edition including the three sonatas, the concertos, and the Fantasie, as well as other bits and pieces. I also have the Symphonic Etudes lying around...

Admittedly I'm not too familiar with those, I don't think I've ever played Schumann. IIRC you were learning Chopin etudes a while back in the space of weeks, how did that go?
I have no idea what to play =/ I failed my grade 8 by 2 marks and decided to retake it sometime in the future but just play for pleasure now.

Can I have some suggestions please or just tell me what you guys are playing and i'll check them out :smile:
Original post by Ducklighter
I have no idea what to play =/ I failed my grade 8 by 2 marks and decided to retake it sometime in the future but just play for pleasure now.

Can I have some suggestions please or just tell me what you guys are playing and i'll check them out :smile:

I've been learning (for a while now, on and off) a couple of pieces by Ludovico Einaudi (Questa Notte, Nefeli, Passaggio, Le Onde) and Michael Nyman (The Heart Asks Pleasure First, Big My Secret), but you might find them a bit easy if you're at (near) Grade 8 level.
did my grade 7, now i'm just trying to build up repertoire, trying to learn the Great Gate of Kiev and rachmaninoff prelude in C# minor. Is it worth doing grade 8?
Oo cool didn't know theres a piano society on here! hi :biggrin:
Original post by seanfromtheblock
did my grade 7, now i'm just trying to build up repertoire, trying to learn the Great Gate of Kiev and rachmaninoff prelude in C# minor. Is it worth doing grade 8?

Yeah its not that bad after grade 7, the pieces are only a little more challenging although they may look unapproachable at first. Plus its some extra ucas points if you're applying to uni.

Love that prelude too, especially the mid part!
Shostakovich's Piano Concerto No.2, Andante. So beautiful. I performed this at school and some audience members shed a tear... :colondollar:
Hmm.. 3 favourite pieces..
Gotta be

Notturno (opus 57?)

Nocturne in Db major

DrGradus ad Parnassus

With the Notturno being by Edvard Grieg, the nocturne by Frederic Chopin and the final one by Claude Debussy. The notturno is one of the lyric pieces, easy to play, but sounds gorgeous, especially after the tempo change. And I'm not sure of the exact number of the nocturne by Chopin, but I know the Debussy one is from childrens corner. Actually the Cakewalk is quite good as well :biggrin:
Original post by flubadiblam
Yeah its not that bad after grade 7, the pieces are only a little more challenging although they may look unapproachable at first. Plus its some extra ucas points if you're applying to uni.

Love that prelude too, especially the mid part!

Don't really need the points, I've got my place for next year, the problem is i'd have to do it without lessons, as i won't be able to afford them at uni :frown:.

Yeah, the middle parts amazing, although the part when it goes into 4 staves is the bit that's tripping me up
Original post by Miller693
Hmm.. 3 favourite pieces..
Gotta be

Notturno (opus 57?)

Nocturne in Db major

DrGradus ad Parnassus

With the Notturno being by Edvard Grieg, the nocturne by Frederic Chopin and the final one by Claude Debussy. The notturno is one of the lyric pieces, easy to play, but sounds gorgeous, especially after the tempo change. And I'm not sure of the exact number of the nocturne by Chopin, but I know the Debussy one is from childrens corner. Actually the Cakewalk is quite good as well :biggrin:

Is the Notturno the one where the right hand plays the melody in the 'top' fingers and the 'lower' fingers of the same hand play a kind of accompinament?
Original post by seanfromtheblock
Don't really need the points, I've got my place for next year, the problem is i'd have to do it without lessons, as i won't be able to afford them at uni :frown:.

Yeah, the middle parts amazing, although the part when it goes into 4 staves is the bit that's tripping me up

If you can play the prelude you should be fine for grade 8 pieces, which you get a big choice of, unlike any other grade. Mind you i see why you'd have second thoughts, with uni and other things to worry about, plus you won't have proper lessons so it'll be harder. Its up to you mate, give it a go.
Original post by Florence321
Is the Notturno the one where the right hand plays the melody in the 'top' fingers and the 'lower' fingers of the same hand play a kind of accompinament?

Yes!!! I especially like the piu mosso section. Do you like that piece?
Yes!!! I especially like the piu mosso section. Do you like that piece?

Yeah! I played it last year :smile: At first I found it hard to make the melody stand out, but soon it came more naturally and I found it really relaxing to play! Have you played it?
Original post by Ducklighter

Maybe have a look at fantasy impromptu by Chopin or liebestraum by Liszt. They're some of my favourite pieces. They are challenging but really rewarding to play.

Funny thing is, I only just found this society today. I'm grade 8 at the moment, might try for a diploma before uni.
Original post by Florence321
Yeah! I played it last year :smile: At first I found it hard to make the melody stand out, but soon it came more naturally and I found it really relaxing to play! Have you played it?

Yeah I love playing it. I think I am somewhat biased to it though - it was the first ever piece I actually did in a proper piano lesson. Yeah I struggled getting the melody to sing at first, I found I actually got better at that just by listening to other people play it better than me! It's one of those pieces that sounds much tougher than it actually is, but once you get the 2s against 3s it is actually really not crazily difficult to play. :smile:
Original post by roar558
Maybe have a look at fantasy impromptu by Chopin or liebestraum by Liszt. They're some of my favourite pieces. They are challenging but really rewarding to play.

Funny thing is, I only just found this society today. I'm grade 8 at the moment, might try for a diploma before uni.

Good luck at your Grade 8 and Dipolma. :smile:

Thanks I will give them a go as well as some Rachmaninov.
Yeah I love playing it. I think I am somewhat biased to it though - it was the first ever piece I actually did in a proper piano lesson. Yeah I struggled getting the melody to sing at first, I found I actually got better at that just by listening to other people play it better than me! It's one of those pieces that sounds much tougher than it actually is, but once you get the 2s against 3s it is actually really not crazily difficult to play. :smile:

Yeah definitely. When I learnt it, I'd just done a piece that had some 3 against 4s so that bit wasn't too hard for me! :smile: Great piece. hehe.
Reply 1859
Hi guys - I'm currently using the 2009-2010 ABRSM piano book for Grade 8, do any of you guys know the last dates I can enter for my exam? (As I think for piano - the 2010 syllabus can last for two years?)

Quick Reply

Latest