The Student Room Group

AQA June 2011 Mechanics 1B 26th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i got -1.73 oops..40 seconds sounds familiar, i found the 2 balls , find m and v question horrid and i couldnt prove what P was
Reply 41
Ah the one where you had to prove P was crazy. It took me from quarter to 10 til 25 past on that one question. Ridiculous , but I got there in the end.
Reply 42
I messed it up and put, T^2 = 1600, for the helicopter one >_< forgot to square root it to get T... but all the other questions were fine ^_^
Reply 43
Original post by Miller693
Ah the one where you had to prove P was crazy. It took me from quarter to 10 til 25 past on that one question. Ridiculous , but I got there in the end.

yeh =s I was looking at that question for a while, just started playing around with substituting and got there in the end ^_^
Reply 44
on the cliff projectile question, did anyone else get u=250? v=211 ish i cant remember exactly ? and how did you find the angle :s-smilie:
Reply 45
I got about 253 something. The horizontal speed, plus the gain in speed vertical.
Reply 46
The question where u had to work out P, i just did simultaneous equations on the vertical and horizontal components to cancel out Q. And to work out the angle its just trig using the vertical and horizontal components of its velocity.

I didnt find it bad at all, but im hoping the grade boundaries dont go up, and im guessing they wont seems as most people have found it hard.
Reply 47
Angle, was around 8/9 degree below level.
Using tan, and the final horiz. speed again the final vert. speed.
Does that sound about right? Anybody else get that?
Reply 48
Original post by JimmyP

Cant quite remember but yea i defo used tan of vert over horizontal since tan(angle)= opposite/adjacent
Reply 49
That momentum question had me thinking, i think i got m=9 and v=7 or maybe other way, did anyone else get this?
Original post by Joshp93
That momentum question had me thinking, i think i got m=9 and v=7 or maybe other way, did anyone else get this?

I got m = 5 and V = 3 or the other way around, can't exactly remember.. :/
Reply 51
Original post by ShahzaibMuneeb
I got m = 5 and V = 3 or the other way around, can't exactly remember.. :/

Oh. :tongue: well either one of us is wrong or we are both wrong :smile:
Got 1.73 for a, to make Q = 0 , the other part was long but i got there =D, helicopter and projectile was a pain though.
Original post by Joshp93

Yup
Reply 54
For the 5 marker helicopter one where you had to find the time all i did was found the magnitude of the acceleration and then used a suvat to work out that t^2 was 1600 so t=40s. Cant see why it would be worth 5 marks unless ive done it wrong, although others have got the same answer :/
Reply 55
Original post by flubadiblam
Yup

Oh that's good then :smile: It was the hardest momentum one ive seen in ages, normally you have to work out the speed of the particles when they stick together not when the go off in different directions, but i managed, i think....
Original post by Joshp93
Oh that's good then :smile: It was the hardest momentum one ive seen in ages, normally you have to work out the speed of the particles when they stick together not when the go off in different directions, but i managed, i think....

Yah the only thing that kind of reassured me about that was how well the last part fitted, like 63j = 9Vj so v is 7 and not some random .023564 number lol
Reply 57
Yea :biggrin: and i put all my values in at the end and they all went perfectly, so unless there is some other combination of values which work perfect, then i think we are right :smile:
Original post by Miller693
It was alright IMO, it took a while to get my head around the questions, but I think I answered everything fine. :smile: but it was definitely harder than usual. Anyone else get 1.73 ms^-2 for the last question. Or 40 seconds for the helicopter?

Yep, I got these answers. :smile:

I didn't find the paper hard. The question with P and Q was a bit dodgy, lots of rearranging of equations with sin and cos. But overall I think it was a reasonable paper.

For the momentum question, I got m=9 and v=7 if I remember rightly.

Yeah I got that, using the same method.
Reply 59
I initially got the right answers for the helicopter one then changed it because I thought there is no way U=0.

Would I still have gotten carry on marks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending