The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
what did you put for the frog eggs one?
Reply 1181
Original post by zimmobug

The answer was that frog eggs are small and have a high surface area: volume ratio, which means that nutrients oxygen and what not can diffuse across it's body surface. As a result, so does the water containing pesticides, which kills the eggs

I put pesticides enter the eggs (by osmosis, which is wrong, I should have put diffusion) and may cause harm to the developing tadpoles.
One of my friends put the small eggs have a large SA:vol ratio so a lot of pesticide diffuses in which sounds better than my answer :tongue:
Another one of my friends put that pesticide lowers the water potential of the surrounding water, and so water is drawn out of the eggs by osmosis.
Original post by thestare
percentage i got 35.7% i did

(14-9)/14 x 100.

Which is wrong, the answer is 55%

(14-9)/9 x 100

but i'm going to assume you get a mark for doing 14-9 = 5

wahoo i got 55%
I think I'm going to get a B. :frown:
Reply 1185
For the 6 marker at the end, what did we have to say? I know about vertical and horizontal gene transmission, but selection? What did we have to say for that?
Reply 1186
Original post by ThEStArE
The answer was that frog eggs are small and have a high surface area: volume ratio, which means that nutrients oxygen and what not can diffuse across it's body surface. As a result, so does the water containing pesticides, which kills the eggs

Original post by sunnybacon
I put pesticides enter the eggs (by osmosis, which is wrong, I should have put diffusion) and may cause harm to the developing tadpoles.
One of my friends put the small eggs have a large SA:vol ratio so a lot of pesticide diffuses in which sounds better than my answer :tongue:
Another one of my friends put that pesticide lowers the water potential of the surrounding water, and so water is drawn out of the eggs by osmosis.

Yay I put large s.area: volume ratio!
Reply 1187
Original post by NutterFrutter
I think I'm going to get a B. :frown:

If I don't get an A in this paper there's no hope for me haha, I'll shoot myself! I'm sure you'll do better than you think!
Reply 1188
How did you work out the time for the cell cycle?

I got 774? You had to times the minutes by 3, from what I've seen in questions I've done off the old spec.
Original post by ThEStArE
For the 6 marker at the end, what did we have to say? I know about vertical and horizontal gene transmission, but selection? What did we have to say for that?

Basically, the bacteria with the advantageous mutation that results in them being resistant to the antibiotic are the ones more likely to survive, and thus more likely to reproduce. This is essentially natural selection - biological traits become more or less common in a population due to the increased chance of survival having those traits - in this case, antibiotic resistance. :smile:
Reply 1190
Original post by swiftylol
Err I thought i finished till I found out I missed 2 pages :colonhash:

Btw what did you guys put for the athlete question?

They have more red blood cells, so more haemologlobin, so can load more oxygen. Oxygen is needed for aerobic respiration during excercise. So more oxygen allows more aerobic respiration in muscles. :smile:
Horizontal, vertical gene transmission, natural selection leads to resistant bacteria survivng and further reproducing asexually.

Further expansion of that for 6 marks.
Original post by CrazyDaisy123
wahoo i got 55%

I must have read the graph wrong because I didn't get 9 at 1996 I read it around 9.6, so got a percentage of 45.8%. Ah well that'll teach me for rushing.
Reply 1193
Original post by liviaaa
How did you work out the time for the cell cycle?

I got 774? You had to times the minutes by 3, from what I've seen in questions I've done off the old spec.

i swear you have to times the minutes by 4 to get 8 eggs? because 3 divisions makes 7 eggs
Anybody who cares about or values their worry free state of mind leave this thread now, as there will be a lot of conjecture! I am going in five minutes...maybe 6
Reply 1195
Original post by liviaaa
Yay I put large s.area: volume ratio!

I think i wrote small surface area to volume ratio!!!! i was rushing and wasn't thinking and when i saw the word small eggs it made me write down small AHHH haha only 1 mark, i got the second mark but that's pretty stupid thing to do :P
Now it's my turn to ask a question :tongue:
What did you guys put for the second part of the frog eggs question, about what effect evaporation of water had? I put the concentration of pesticide increased....
And also, what about the question asking why ten leaves were used in the experiment, measuring water loss in milligrams? For that, I put because the change in mass of one leaf is too small to measure, so ten leaves allows a significant change to be measured.

...or similar words to that effect :biggrin:
Horizontal, vertical gene transmission, natural selection leads to resistant bacteria survivng and further reproducing asexually.

Further expansion of that for 6 marks.
Anyone else get 4% for the MRSA thing?
i swear you have to times the minutes by 4 to get 8 eggs? because 3 divisions makes 7 eggs

No, one forms two

Two forms four

Four forms eight

Times by 3...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending