The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
Original post by beelz
What was the answer to the question which said to suggest how scientists could measure the normal EPO levels?

Grade boundaries will probably be average - about 56/85 for an A.

Take blood samples of healthy people, and create an average conc of EPO in their blood?
Original post by liviaaa
Yay same as me :biggrin: (Well 774 if that's what you meant, lol)

Yeah I got the egg question wrong though. I wrote about water potential.
Hi guys..
What did you put for the question asking about why she used 10 leaves instead of one... :s-smilie:
And also the specifics behind the answer of how scientists could establish a normal EPO concentration in the blood? :biggrin: cheers
Reply 1243
Original post by Rahul.S
thts 6 marks so far.....wt did u write my the syntetic EPO will cause red blood cells to increase...i said its made for the original EPO and its in solution...so can get taken in. etc.

The EPO will causes the amount of haemoglobin to increase, as EPO causes an increase in red blood cells, and so the more red blood cells, the more haemoglobin.
Original post by liviaaa
Take blood samples of healthy people, and create an average conc of EPO in their blood?

Yeah i wrote create average, then compare with the other
I got the frog thing wrong, totally! Forgot about SA:V ratio.
Got 9 for the amino acids? I think..
then the second part i wrote about introns and multiple repeats which im not sure is correct :frown:
Original post by liviaaa

I got this :3, wasn't too sure though! It was just a guess
Yes introns were correct
Reply 1247
Original post by Fletcher94
Hi guys..
What did you put for the question asking about why she used 10 leaves instead of one... :s-smilie:
And also the specifics behind the answer of how scientists could establish a normal EPO concentration in the blood? :biggrin: cheers

I put she measured in milli(whatever it was) as this increased prescision, so she was able to compare against the 10 leaves. Think that's wrong though. :tongue:

I put take a blood samples from normal people and measure the amount of EPO in their blood, make an average from these people.
Original post by EffKayy
then the second part i wrote about introns and multiple repeats which im not sure is correct :frown:

9 is right!
and yeah for the second part you had to write about introns, which are basically bases that are non-coding.
Reply 1249
Original post by EffKayy

Yeah I got 9 amino acids, and introns :smile:
Reply 1250
what about the question where they asked why EPO was measure in time and kg?
Also how did the EPO increase blood concentration?
Ughhh, I was soo tired from my previous 3hour exam that I ran out of time in this one AND misread most of the questions, along with misinterpreting the graph with the percentage question. Results day will be fun............. :///
Original post by liviaaa
Yeah I got 9 amino acids, and introns :smile:

why cant you conclude that the urhh.. thing... increased death rates?
Original post by foldingstars45
I got this :3, wasn't too sure though! It was just a guess

I was gonna put this but then I thought it can't be that simple...the question was asking HOW they measure the EPO concentration in people's blood :s-smilie:
I put they could count the number of red blood cells in various samples of blood from healthy people as this would be proportional to the amount of EPO (more EPO=more red blood cells)
Original post by foldingstars45
9 is right!
and yeah for the second part you had to write about introns, which are basically bases that are non-coding.

or start stop codes
for the first question i put flagellum and chlorplasts
Original post by zimmobug
what about the question where they asked why EPO was measure in time and kg?
Also how did the EPO increase blood concentration?

i wrote it allows comparison as the patients body mass differs? :s-smilie:
:facepalm2: Lost so many silly marks.
Reply 1258
Original post by liviaaa

But the athletes may have different levels of EPO to other people.
Original post by ChemistryProNOT
I must have read the graph wrong because I didn't get 9 at 1996 I read it around 9.6, so got a percentage of 45.8%. Ah well that'll teach me for rushing.

Dont worry about it!
it was only two marks and a lot of people will have stuffed up the calculations.
You can always retake it like i've just done, so no worries :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending