The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3040
Original post by Randa1010
Well I just discovered this thread, i did biology physics chemistry and math AS hopefully I have 4 exams left and I ll be done, I ll be free to work on my application I'm thinking of applying to Leeds, newcastle, Kings London and Manchester.
I have a question about the chemistry A level is it necessary in all unis or a physics a level would do ?

theres a link on here which lists the ones that don't specify chem. Newcastle don't. link should be on the medicine faqs page. I've had offers from manch, leeds, newc so pm if you want details-and practise for your ukcat once the AS exams are over
Original post by Normandy114
Oh god, D1 and Unit 2 biology tomorrow, then Critical thinking and unit 2 chemistry on friday. Not a good couple of days :eek:

Woo D1 *high-5!* lol I'm hoping I have a repeat of my Mechanics exam last year. I kept getting D's, E's and U's in Mocks for M1 right up until 3 days before and came out with 96... I'm realllllly hoping D1 is a repeat of that as the 3 day thing has more or less happened again! lol I don't like D1... I'm not a computer, nor do I want to be one! lol

Original post by banana_smoothie
not sure yet! cardiff might be my 1st option , as i live nearby so yeaah :smile: but atm, (middle of as-levels exams) im considering to study tesco-logy or macdonald-ology, as i think i failed most of my exams ehhhh :frown:
How about you?

My nearest is Newcastle and although its a 40min-1hr drive its still to close to home :tongue: Ah I'm also considering these degrees too though I was wondering about a joint degree in procrastion-ology and facebook-ology - could write a paper and do research into how many people have now failed to do as well as they should in exams due to the existance of facebook... I'd have many research subjects :tongue:

I still not looked any at anymore, for the time being I don't think I need anything else to distract me from revision lol As soon as I get on study leave me and my laptop will need to have a Ross and Rachael type break lol
Reply 3042
hello,
I dropped biology after AS but some universities want it up to A-level. I am planning to take a gap year- if i do biology so that I bring it up to a-level-is that considered retake because i want variation so i dropped biology and kept chemistry maths and history.
i want to apply for medicine-would the biology be considered a retake even though i havnt done the A2 part and want to pick it up( and not do the AS part)
Reply 3043
Original post by mashalli
hello,
I dropped biology after AS but some universities want it up to A-level. I am planning to take a gap year- if i do biology so that I bring it up to a-level-is that considered retake because i want variation so i dropped biology and kept chemistry maths and history.
i want to apply for medicine-would the biology be considered a retake even though i havnt done the A2 part and want to pick it up( and not do the AS part)

don't think it would as you're doing it in 2 years but email the unis you like most and ask. your referee can make it clear in your reference and if you already have AAA I don't think it would be a problem. Or just apply to those that don't specify biology and have a fun gap year instead!
Reply 3044
Original post by conorcd
don't think it would as you're doing it in 2 years but email the unis you like most and ask. your referee can make it clear in your reference and if you already have AAA I don't think it would be a problem. Or just apply to those that don't specify biology and have a fun gap year instead!

hey,
I will be doing the biology second part (the a-level part) as I already have done the AS in my gap year so after two years of college-would you say that is like a resit...and I want to apply to bm6 incase i dont meet the aaa grades and get aab and bm6 want biology.
Original post by Quackers93
Woo D1 *high-5!* lol I'm hoping I have a repeat of my Mechanics exam last year. I kept getting D's, E's and U's in Mocks for M1 right up until 3 days before and came out with 96... I'm realllllly hoping D1 is a repeat of that as the 3 day thing has more or less happened again! lol I don't like D1... I'm not a computer, nor do I want to be one! lol

How did the exam go? Mine went all right, very time pressured though (ocr btw).
Biology was reasonable. Hopefully have gotten an A. Loved the mitosis questions. That last one on antibiotics went well too.
Reply 3047
hello,
I dont have biology up to a-level just up to AS.If in my gap year i do the rest so that it is a complete A-level then would bm6 consider me?
Anyone had any experiences with this, is this counted as a retake because it will be the ffirst time i will be sitting it and it isnt within the two years.
Reply 3048
*but it wont be within the two years though#?
Can someone tell me please, if I get 2 A's and B at AS (B in maths), will I end up being rejected from uni straight away when we apply in September ??? :frown:
I'm really worried :s
Original post by 05jwappleyard
Can someone tell me please, if I get 2 A's and B at AS (B in maths), will I end up being rejected from uni straight away when we apply in September ??? :frown:

Nope, I doubt it. As long as you're predicted 3 As. :smile:

But wait for results first- everyone is feeling equally **** about exams atm. :p:
Original post by navarre
Biology was reasonable. Hopefully have gotten an A. Loved the mitosis questions. That last one on antibiotics went well too.

I absolutely lovedddddd the EPO question :biggrin: :five:

We did a really similar question in class so that's like 4 or 5 free marks :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Applying for medicine PART 2!
I didn't get my required chem grade last year so I have to retake it :frown:
Didn't apply for the 2011 cycle because my confidence was pretty much blown to smithereens. BUT! I'm now back and raring to go! Good luck all!!!!
How did the exam go? Mine went all right, very time pressured though (ocr btw).

Ah screw you! lol jokes. Erm I wasn't a huge fan of it really. There were quite a few explain questions and some similar questions (the ones with semi Eulerian graphs and some with orders 1,1,2,2,4 and another different so i messed those to up cause read wrong one :angry: but oh wells) Yeh my timing wasn't great either. In mocks I'd average 50mins-1hr, that exam took me the full time with only a few minutes checking over. I think it was slightly harder than earlier papers and longer, was so disappointed no bubble/shuttle sort or packing algorithms :/

The 8 mark question confused me, cause I couldn't get the correct answer, I was always off by just a little bit. Though I have heard quite a few people questioning whether the question was actually right.

I'm hoping that the grade boundaries are low although I only need like a d to get an a overall but still! lol How did you find it? Did you think the format was sort of different? (particularly using the same graph in two different questions, that threw me greatly :P)

ps. sorry for the mini essay :tongue:
-snip-

Yeah the 8 mark question was a joke! Half of my year are saying that the answer was actually 1.9 higher than what the question said, which means if that's the case that question will be disregarded all together, so the paper will be out of 64 rather than 72. Not a very good paper really, the algorithm questions early on were really bad as they gave so few marks for such a long question, and the question involving x for an arc length was horrible. Shame there was no sorting or bin packing, those are quite easy. Oh well, more exams tomorrow haha.
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Nope, I doubt it. As long as you're predicted 3 As. :smile:

But wait for results first- everyone is feeling equally **** about exams atm. :p:

Thanks, I know that if I need to stand a chance I need to be predicted three A's at A2, but I was just thinking that if I got 2 A's and a B at AS they would immediately reject me because my AS results are all they've got to go with PS. Yeah, your right. I suppose best thing to do is just wait for results first. Just feel really crap now thinking I probably have just missed out through some really really silly mistakes, under pressure that under normal circumstances I would have probably got right :frown:

Results day is the 18th August isn't it because it's the week before GCSE?

Thanks, a lot :smile:
Yeah the 8 mark question was a joke! Half of my year are saying that the answer was actually 1.9 higher than what the question said, which means if that's the case that question will be disregarded all together, so the paper will be out of 64 rather than 72. Not a very good paper really, the algorithm questions early on were really bad as they gave so few marks for such a long question, and the question involving x for an arc length was horrible. Shame there was no sorting or bin packing, those are quite easy. Oh well, more exams tomorrow haha.

Same I think i got 1.9 higher too but because it was wrong I dont thijnk i wrote it down and stressed about where I'd gone wrong... so if its discounted i will be pretty happy :smile: although I do know I've lost stupid marks. I was gutted with no bubble, I'd finally learnt it :tongue: (I even had bubble written on my water bottle [long story but thats what my sister calls me] but i though "oh i better cross that out incase they think im cheating or something" and it didn't even come up :/

...and where was the space for drawing the minimum spanning trees?! I wondered if it was an error that they printed the proper graph with all the lines rather than just the nodes.

Good luck with your exams tomorrow, I hope they are better than this mess :biggrin:
Original post by Pomppufiilis
Applying for medicine PART 2!
I didn't get my required chem grade last year so I have to retake it :frown:
Didn't apply for the 2011 cycle because my confidence was pretty much blown to smithereens. BUT! I'm now back and raring to go! Good luck all!!!!

Did you resit the year or just chemistry because I think I'm going to have the same problem with maths when I get my AS grades :frown:

Would you mind advising me on how you got through it because I equally sympathise with you that it blows your confidence.

Good luck, you'll do great :smile:
Same I think i got 1.9 higher too but because it was wrong I dont thijnk i wrote it down and stressed about where I'd gone wrong... so if its discounted i will be pretty happy :smile: although I do know I've lost stupid marks. I was gutted with no bubble, I'd finally learnt it :tongue: (I even had bubble written on my water bottle [long story but thats what my sister calls me] but i though "oh i better cross that out incase they think im cheating or something" and it didn't even come up :/

...and where was the space for drawing the minimum spanning trees?! I wondered if it was an error that they printed the proper graph with all the lines rather than just the nodes.

Good luck with your exams tomorrow, I hope they are better than this mess :biggrin:

The minimum spanning tree question was so annoying, I got really confused thinking my paper was a misprint or something as all the edges were still there haha. Critical thinking unit 1 and Chemistry unit 2 retake tomorrow, I'm confident the chemistry will go well, but even if i muck it up I've already got an A at AS, so it's fine. Critical thinking I'm not too bothered about, would like a decent grade like a B or an A though. Are you finished with exams yet?

Latest

Trending

Trending