The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CrazyDaisy123
Dont worry about it!
it was only two marks and a lot of people will have stuffed up the calculations.
You can always retake it like i've just done, so no worries :smile:

I was wondering how people did actually conclude it was 9 because the graph went up like, 0,2,4,6,8,10 and it was 0.4 for each graduation so 9 would have been a point that did not actually lie on the line and I'm sure it did lie on a line. However, nobody else seems to have got this so I'm obviously talking absolute nonsense haha!
Didnt have a calculator so i failed % increase but wrote equation yeah boi! but i failed.
Original post by biologyunit1may16
for the frogs egss questions, could you say anything about eutrophication to get marks?? :s-smilie:

what do you guys think grade boundaries will be for A?

probs 58.
sup with your username?!
Original post by kingsmod1
the answer was 55.6% and strand a and b had each 74 bases

grade boundaries will probz be about 58 for an A from experience

loved the enzyle Qs guys

Ohhhh yeahhhhh the mark scheme immediately flashed across my mind :biggrin:
I've also got AQA CHEM2 tomorrow.
I got 9.1 and 14 for the Wales MRSA and something like 53.8% for the percentage increase.
I mentioned antibiotic presence exerting a selection pressure, resistant bacteria surviving and reproducing and the proportion of bacteria with resistance increasing due to natural selection, vertical gene transmission in division and horizontal transmission by one bacterium forming a conjugation tube, the plasmid being replicated and made linear, and the allele for resistance being passed on. I then said that this could cause different species of bacteria to develop resistance.
I talked about osmosis at the venous end of the capillary causing reabsorption from tissue fluid and drainage of excess fluid into lymph vessels which empty into two ducts close to the heart.
I got diagonal values for strand A and B because it was complementary strands, not the percentage of organic base in the DNA as a whole molecule in which case A=T and C=G.
Strand A: 19 26 9 20
Strand B: 26 19 20 9

They weren't possibly in that order but that's the answer, A is 20.
Original post by EmmaStokess
omg really? thats what i wrote about but i thought it would be wrong!

Hopefully we're right! I didn't know what it meant by selection tho :indiff:
I missed alot, failed alot, and will be getting a D grade MAX........fml
Original post by failingatm
Hopefully we're right! I didn't know what it meant by selection tho :indiff:

yeah me neither, but maybe we'll get at least some marks? :3
Original post by ScheduleII
I've also got AQA CHEM2 tomorrow.
I got 9.1 and 14 for the Wales MRSA and something like 53.8% for the percentage increase.
I mentioned antibiotic presence exerting a selection pressure, resistant bacteria surviving and reproducing and the proportion of bacteria with resistance increasing due to natural selection, vertical gene transmission in division and horizontal transmission by one bacterium forming a conjugation tube, the plasmid being replicated and made linear, and the allele for resistance being passed on. I then said that this could cause different species of bacteria to develop resistance.
I talked about osmosis at the venous end of the capillary causing reabsorption from tissue fluid and drainage of excess fluid into lymph vessels which empty into two ducts close to the heart.
I got diagonal values for strand A and B because it was complementary strands, not the percentage of organic base in the DNA as a whole molecule in which case A=T and C=G.

i also talked about large proteins which remain in blood that decreases the water potential
Original post by sablarrr
I was pushed for time! I could have done with another 10 minutes to check my answers tbh.

I'm not looking forward to results day

Grade boundaries are usually low for this unit so you never know, results day might turn out better than expected!

Anyway, good luck if you have any more exams.
I'm off to partake in some mass junk food consumption. :smile:
Hey :wink:

I'm a little bit nervous. I know I was strong for about 70% of the paper but I really needed the loo towards the end. At that point onwards I was compulsively answering the questions. I think I got most of them okay but I have a weird feeling now that I misread some questions through lack of concentration -.- It didn't help that that part of the paper had a lot of HSW stuff about Synthetic EPO.

I didn't get the percentage increase either, that's the only question I missed.

Btw, what did people put for the reason why Carbohydrate would be a good storage source in water? I said that it was insoluble in water and so wouldn't pass through the cell membrane and be lost, but that was really a stabby answer; I skipped it and it was literally the last question I did right at the end >_>
I have lost 20 marks minimum! Nightmare!
Reply 1453
Original post by NutterFrutter
Strand A: 19 26 9 20
Strand B: 26 19 20 9

They weren't possibly in that order but that's the answer, A is 20.

Doesn't each strand have to add up to 100? That's what I read in a past paper.
Original post by Digg93

Each strand has to add up to 74, 148 in total. It's not percentages.
Original post by JSLCampbell

Btw, what did people put for the reason why Carbohydrate would be a good storage source in water? I said that it was insoluble in water and so wouldn't pass through the cell membrane and be lost, but that was really a stabby answer; I skipped it and it was literally the last question I did right at the end >_>

I put insoluble so doesn't draw excess water in by osmosis, as the pond is freshwater with a high WP

and hey :wink:
Original post by Digg93

No the question said it was 74.....
Original post by JSLCampbell

I'm a little bit nervous. I know I was strong for about 70% of the paper but I really needed the loo towards the end. At that point onwards I was compulsively answering the questions. I think I got most of them okay but I have a weird feeling now that I misread some questions through lack of concentration -.- It didn't help that that part of the paper had a lot of HSW stuff about Synthetic EPO.

I didn't get the percentage increase either, that's the only question I missed.

i guess it's got sth to do with the fresh water of the pond, so i put down "no osmotic effect"
Original post by EffKayy
probs 58.
sup with your username?!

58, thats high... :frown:

n its the exam which caused me to join tsr :P Lol, its for lols really tbh.
Reply 1459
Original post by SittingOnCornflakes
Grade boundaries are usually low for this unit so you never know, results day might turn out better than expected!

Anyway, good luck if you have any more exams.
I'm off to partake in some mass junk food consumption. :smile:

Yeah I could have done with 10 more mins, I mean i finished the paper but would have liked to have checked.

Haha, the mass junk food consumption sounds like a plan, although it goes totally against what we learnt in unit 1 haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending