The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
Original post by Kisskoli
was it silly to have written than evap of water means all the water evap from the pools in which the eggs were layed. so they had no water left around them..

lol i dont think thats what is going to be written in the mark scheme. i thought it would be that the pesticide will be more concentrated in the water after it evaporates. because same amount of pesticide in less volume of water ==> more conc. i dunno if thats correct tho. i talked some rubbish about more concentrated will therefore draw water out by osmosis. but thank god aqa dont do negative marking :biggrin:
I think the grade boundaries will be higher this year. I don't know why though, I'm just making a guess. :smile:
Original post by Wick3d
1 mark for correct working out, 1 work for correct answer. Or it might be 2 marks for correct answer. But it does always state to show your working out. :smile:

Pretty sure it's always 2 for correct answer with or without working (think that was in the Jan 10 mark scheme too), however for a wrong answer, the working can get you 1 mark, which is why they say to do it; cos we all know how much people tend to **** up at maths :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ReMos
was the answer to the frog egg question that there is a higher concentration of pesticides in the water due to there being less water, which affects the frog eggs more? i really had no time left for that questions as i left it out.

was the cell cycle question SPECIFICALLY stating to give answer in minutes?

Sorry to say it, but yes.
Original post by JSLCampbell
Pretty sure it's always 2 for correct answer (think that was in the Jan 10 mark scheme too), however for a wrong answer, the working can get you 1 mark.

That's what I was thinking, but my put the emphasis on showing correct working out? :smile: You never know to be honest.
No animal cells have cell walls btw, just to clear that up.

And, what did you guys put for the athlethe question?
Original post by heavencanwait_
I'm not too sure really.. I thought it was horrible at first then I didn't think it was too bad lol, I hope I'm right in thinking that I've only lost 20 marks maximum but knowing me it's more like 30 and I'll get a B again ):
How bout you?

Losing 30 marks will either get you a high B or low A so it's all good. :smile:

Same, I dont know... I know I've lost at least 6 marks and that's just from what I've gone through but meh, at least it's done! :smile:
Original post by swiftylol
No animal cells have cell walls btw, just to clear that up.

And, what did you guys put for the athlethe question?

Animals never had cell walls, we've covered that in Unit 1. Who said they have cell walls?! :eek:
Original post by ReMos
was the answer to the frog egg question that there is a higher concentration of pesticides in the water due to there being less water, which affects the frog eggs more? i really had no time left for that questions as i left it out.

was the cell cycle question SPECIFICALLY stating to give answer in minutes?

what were the marks for the EPO 4 marker?
i wrote:
more red blood cells
more haemoglobin
can carry more O2
more atp production in the muscle
can be used for muscle contraction
no need for anaerobic respiration as there is always enough oxygen to undertake aerobic respiration.

excuse my grammar and language, english isnt my mother tongue~ :frown:

Pretty sure the cell cycle question specifically wanted answer in minutes. As for EPO 4 marker, I think you got the 4 marks from the first 5 points a least, although the last point doesn't seem relevant (but it might be, I don't know). I wrote the same;

- more red blood cells
- more haemoglobin
- can carry more O2
- cells can produce more ATP through respiration for muscle contraction
Original post by ??????????????????
Three cell cycles needs to produce 8 cells.
1->2->4->8

wahoo i did that too , yay me, i think i have a solid A in the bag for BIOL2, i just need to do hope that my overall is an A, because my ISA was a B on the dot :mad:
Reply 1630
Original post by EffKayy
it was a eukaryotic, so introns/multiple repeats

sorry, but what was eukaryotic?? :/
Original post by JSLCampbell
Pretty sure the cell cycle question specifically wanted answer in minutes. As for EPO 4 marker, I think you got the 4 marks from the first 5 points a least, although the last point doesn't seem relevant (but it might be, I don't know). I wrote the same;

- more red blood cells
- more haemoglobin
- can carry more O2

I always learn something new in exams. We've now learnt that athletes use a performance enhancing drug called EPO. :smile:
Original post by ryan02
sorry, but what was eukaryotic?? :/

Eh, where on the paper was the word eukaryote mentioned?
Reply 1633
Original post by Wick3d
Animals never had cell walls, we've covered that in Unit 1. Who said they have cell walls?! :eek:

i did :colondollar: cos its what our teacher said...that if u want to write a diff between animals and plants, that it has to specifically be CELLULOSE cell walls
she could be wrong tho, which is why i added a question mark to the end when i posted it lol
Original post by Wick3d

Never mind Unit 1; that's GCSE level stuff, that is. :tongue:
Original post by Wick3d
I always learn something new in exams. We've now learnt that athletes use a performance enhancing drug called EPO. :smile:

:L major abuse of research for those poor anaemic's right there
Original post by NutterFrutter
The answers and marks I'm giving are from past exam papers,

thank you. :tongue:

Not a personal attack, but from experience it can be very unnerving when people give out marks that they perceive to be from the markscheme. Often they don't reflect what is actually on the markscheme; I was worried for about 2 months after unit 1 biology as when I looked at a thread on here I thought I must have lost "X" marks, which would give me a B, when in fact I got a comfortable A.
I need a high A in this paper, got a D in the ISA, and a high A in January. It's possible to get an A overall, but if not I can retake the ISA next year.
Reply 1638

- more red blood cells
- more haemoglobin
- can carry more O2

i only wrote it because the question specifically said LONG DISTANCE events or something like that that has to relate to endurance ~ :s-smilie:

and for the 6 marker i wrote:
resistant bacteria arent killed by antibiotics
larger proportion
(because no competition for food)
reproduce by binary fission
genetically identical bacteria produced
have the gene for resistance
(vertical transmition)
other bacteria can get a copy of the plasmid with the gene for resistance via conjugation tube
they then are resistant
(horizontal transmittion)
more resistant bacteria=less affective antibiotics=difficult to treat with antibiotics ~ :biggrin:
Original post by Wick3d

Original post by Wick3d

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=31731000#post31731000

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending