The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kpopjpop
Right, I know my questions are rather silly but..

*Just to check when reading the entry requirements on the StA website it only shows you the first sitting requirements for Higher.. What about the second sitting? Do they prefer people with only 1 sitting?

*Can someone tell whoever makes the StA website to change it? It's the most confusing university website I've ever seen - they don't really make it easy for you to see how the course works and what you do etc. :L

1. If your results for first sitting aren't good enough then they may make you a conditional offer based on your 6th year results. This is different for every candidate though.

2. I don't think it's as simple as that :tongue: What are you looking for? I personally find it easy to navigate as all departments have their own websites, they have a course catalogue with detailed descriptions of modules, etc.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 6001
I'm going to be studying Economics and Maths and maybe a language in my first year, so I was wandering how much its likely to cost me for books, field trips, materials etc? Just hoping this can help me get a better appreciation of the costs for budgeting
Original post by jim152
I'm going to be studying Economics and Maths and maybe a language in my first year, so I was wandering how much its likely to cost me for books, field trips, materials etc? Just hoping this can help me get a better appreciation of the costs for budgeting

You probably won't have any field trips and the cost of books depends on what you want to buy. I easily spent about £60 just on 2 1st year economics books.
Reply 6003
Original post by Ecosse_14
You probably won't have any field trips and the cost of books depends on what you want to buy. I easily spent about £60 just on 2 1st year economics books.

I suppose it could get pretty expensive then. Are there any students who sell them on after their first year? And do you generally only need the required reading or do they expect you to get other books?
Original post by jim152
I suppose it could get pretty expensive then. Are there any students who sell them on after their first year? And do you generally only need the required reading or do they expect you to get other books?

Yeah there will be different booksales in fresher's week (some societies organise them so look out for them). I only ever bought the required reading stuff, and even then, I didn't buy all the required books. There will be a massive list of books for each course and you can pick and choose what you wish to buy.

*Just to check when reading the entry requirements on the StA website it only shows you the first sitting requirements for Higher.. What about the second sitting? Do they prefer people with only 1 sitting?

*Can someone tell whoever makes the StA website to change it? It's the most confusing university website I've ever seen - they don't really make it easy for you to see how the course works and what you do etc. :L

"Exuse me, Mr website designer. A boy from TSR told me to tell you that your website is too confusing. Could you change it now, please?"

Something tells me that wouldn't go so well :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6006
Yeah there will be different booksales in fresher's week (some societies organise them so look out for them). I only ever bought the required reading stuff, and even then, I didn't buy all the required books. There will be a massive list of books for each course and you can pick and choose what you wish to buy.

Alright, thanks. Doesn't sound as bad as i had feared.
Reply 6007
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
"Exuse me, Mr website designer, a boy from TSR told me to tell you that your website is too confusing. Could you change it now, please"

Something tells me that wouldn't go so well :colonhash:

*girl :P
I think it will go down well:colone:
Reply 6008
Hello everyone,

I've firmed St Andrews, and I have a couple of questions I couldn't find the answers to.

I'm an IB student; my results are released on July 5. Do I have to wait until August 18 for the university to confirm my place, or will they do it earlier?

I'm an international student. When will I get my visa support letter, and when should I apply for a visa?

What about my university e-mail address? I've read on previous years' threads that people got it pretty early, but I am yet to receive any correspondence from the university regarding this matter (or, for that matter, any correspondence from them at all, save a couple postcards :smile:).

Lastly, what are the chances of me getting a single room?

Thank you :smile:
I'm an international student too. I read that as soon as they receive your scores they switch you to unconditional. So if they receive them July 5th then that's when they'll confirm your place.
I recieved preliminary visa emails this month, but the bulk of email info should come in June bc you can only apply for a visa 3 months before the start of term.
I emailed the registry and they keep saying be patient and we will receive our email accounts in time for the start of term. Email them if you are worried.
Also the admissions say most ppl get the single or shared room they want. They also told me that if I asked for single catered I'm almost guaranteed to be in Melville.
I've been looking at the course catalogue for geography and geoscience and to get into 2nd year for geoscience it says you need passes in either GG1001 or GS1001 and GG1002 and GS1002 or something similar but I can't find the GS modules anywhere! They're not on the timetables or anything. Do they mean the ES modules when they say GS?
Also I have applied for Geography and will be doing Physics and Maths with it but I prefer the more scientific/physical aspects of Geography so would rather do Geoscience/Earth Science. I can't do the semester 1 module in Earth Science because it clashes with physics in semester 1 but I could do the semester 2 module. I have a couple of questions regarding this:

Would I be allowed to drop Geography after 1st semester (if I didn't like it) in favour of the Earth Science module considering that they are very similar subjects and I'd still be a part of the school of Geography?

It says that the ES1001 module is (usually) a prerequisite for ES1002 so do you think they would allow me to take ES1002 because I will have done GG1001?

Original post by alasdair1993
I've been looking at the course catalogue for geography and geoscience and to get into 2nd year for geoscience it says you need passes in either GG1001 or GS1001 and GG1002 and GS1002 or something similar but I can't find the GS modules anywhere! They're not on the timetables or anything. Do they mean the ES modules when they say GS?
Also I have applied for Geography and will be doing Physics and Maths with it but I prefer the more scientific/physical aspects of Geography so would rather do Geoscience/Earth Science. I can't do the semester 1 module in Earth Science because it clashes with physics in semester 1 but I could do the semester 2 module. I have a couple of questions regarding this:

Would I be allowed to drop Geography after 1st semester (if I didn't like it) in favour of the Earth Science module considering that they are very similar subjects and I'd still be a part of the school of Geography?

It says that the ES1001 module is (usually) a prerequisite for ES1002 so do you think they would allow me to take ES1002 because I will have done GG1001?

For environmental geoscience, it says you need to do (ES1001 or GG1011) AND (ES1002 or GG1012) so I don't know what you're looking at?

Yes you can drop geography after the 1st semester if you wanted to do earth sciences which is still in the school of geography (usually, your adviser will decide if you can drop it or not).
For environmental geoscience, it says you need to do (ES1001 or GG1011) AND (ES1002 or GG1012) so I don't know what you're looking at?

Yes you can drop geography after the 1st semester if you wanted to do earth sciences which is still in the school of geography (usually, your adviser will decide if you can drop it or not).

Ah I was looking at the course catalogue from a couple of years ago! That'll be why! :tongue:

Now looking at the 2011-2012 timetable ES1002 clashes with PH1012 so I won't be able to do it anyway! Sorry for the confusion.
Original post by signin
Hello everyone,

I've firmed St Andrews, and I have a couple of questions I couldn't find the answers to.

I'm an IB student; my results are released on July 5. Do I have to wait until August 18 for the university to confirm my place, or will they do it earlier?

I'm an international student. When will I get my visa support letter, and when should I apply for a visa?

What about my university e-mail address? I've read on previous years' threads that people got it pretty early, but I am yet to receive any correspondence from the university regarding this matter (or, for that matter, any correspondence from them at all, save a couple postcards :smile:).

Lastly, what are the chances of me getting a single room?

Thank you :smile:

1. Your offer will change to unconditional when they receive the information that you've met your conditions.
2. I have no idea about visa's sorry.
3. You will receive information on your uni email address and things only when your status is unconditional, you will not receive it if you're still conditional.
4. A lot of single rooms are given to returning students in halls, but there is still a good chance you'd get one I think.
Original post by Washington_Capital
I'm an international student too. I read that as soon as they receive your scores they switch you to unconditional. So if they receive them July 5th then that's when they'll confirm your place.
I recieved preliminary visa emails this month, but the bulk of email info should come in June bc you can only apply for a visa 3 months before the start of term.
I emailed the registry and they keep saying be patient and we will receive our email accounts in time for the start of term. Email them if you are worried.
Also the admissions say most ppl get the single or shared room they want. They also told me that if I asked for single catered I'm almost guaranteed to be in Melville.

You have to pick Melville if you want to be in there. If you just pick standard catered then you don't get Melville, you get one of the others (Sallies, Uni Hall, JBH, Regs)

I AGREE!!! Its very confusing....especially for prospective students who usually dont even know what the scottish system is like.
Hi everybody! Congrats on the offers. I've also got a 35 point offer for the 'International Baccalaureate', but I'm wondering if the absence of the word 'Diploma' means that the offer is 35 out of 42? I'm worried since I feel that I messed up my exams a bit.
Reply 6017
As a postgraduate student, would you advise me to take a room for 37 or 50 weeks? when can I finish my pg studies soonest ( including the master thesis! )

THANKS
Original post by Zvonky
As a postgraduate student, would you advise me to take a room for 37 or 50 weeks? when can I finish my pg studies soonest ( including the master thesis! )

THANKS

If you took 37 weeks, you'd have to find alternative accommodation for over the Summer.
To a current St Andrews student :

Is it easy to make friends in St Andrews ?, I.E will everyone become part of a friend group eventually?

This is the part that worries me the most about applying for St Andrews. I'm worried that I'll go there and end up not making friends with anyone and being stuck for 4 years in a small town where I'd have to walk past everyone everyday. Does this ever happen, or is it just me being hugely paranoid ?

Latest

Trending

Trending