The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 786girl
also, most of the work experience i will do is AFTER the ucas deadline, so do i jus say in my PS that i hope to learn xyz from my work experiencece at xyz ?
:s

word of warning one uni's feedback to me was basically they can only score me on stuff I have done (because I had arranged work exp at a GP for the week after the deadline)
Reply 2221
Guys,the idea of doing a gapyear, yeah sure ill get lots of experience and bump up my ukcat but will that garentee me a place. Sorry im just losing motivation :frown:...
Original post by fruitfan
Guys,the idea of doing a gapyear, yeah sure ill get lots of experience and bump up my ukcat but will that garentee me a place. Sorry im just losing motivation :frown:...

Nothing guarantees you a place I'm afraid :frown:
Reply 2223
Hmm yeah, I figured
Original post by atomos
word of warning one uni's feedback to me was basically they can only score me on stuff I have done (because I had arranged work exp at a GP for the week after the deadline)

Yh this is something u really have to be careful with.
Many unis only give points for work xp u have done!
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Nothing guarantees you a place I'm afraid :frown:

do medical/dental schools expect a lot more from applicants applying after a year out? considering they probably have had more experience?
Original post by chestntrapzbrah
do medical/dental schools expect a lot more from applicants applying after a year out? considering they probably have had more experience?

I think as long as u have done something valuable to build up on ur previous experiences and skills.
It doesnt all have to be med related, like a job or something shud be fine, along with work xp and volunteering with disadvantaged people.

As long as u can talk about it
Original post by garlicbreadman
I think as long as u have done something valuable to build up on ur previous experiences and skills.
It doesnt all have to be med related, like a job or something shud be fine, along with work xp and volunteering with disadvantaged people.

As long as u can talk about it

As GBM said above. If you are taking a gap year then unis want to see you used your time well but I wouldn't say they expect any more than they would from a school leaver. You can get into medicine as a graduate with one days work experience at a GP's, so anything is possible. The old maxim of quality>quantity applies :smile:
Reply 2228
Original post by mashalli
I want to apply to bm6 as one of my options because i meet the other requirements. They want biology up to a-level but i have it up to AS and if i do take it its outside two years so i dont know what bm6 would say seeing as they havnt specified it has to be done within two years-anywher to find out if its need to be done within two years?
will my application be disadvantaged? What would I put on my ucas form?

Seriously, the only thing you can do is email the univerisities you are thinking about applying. Look on their website for someone who deals with admissions. If you don't get a response, give them a ring :smile: Some universities may specify, but you NEED to contact them and ask.

Original post by fruitfan

I knoww, I have days like this as well. Nothing will guarantee you a place, its true, but just think how excited and hopeful you were this time last year. Be like that again :smile: Think positive, and we're all here to keep you motivated :biggrin: You can only do your best, and as cheesy as it sounds, right now, you need to focus on enjoying your life at the moment. You can work for your UKCAT, and plan for your gap year, but try not to think ahead of that.

I started feeling down the other day while I was trying to think of something to put down as a fifth option, knowing that if I don't get in this year, I'll have to take it. And also knowing that with grad entry being so competitive, its more than likely that whatever I choose will be my new career plan. I can't help it, all I want to do is medicine. Nothing else compares. It was the same when I was first doing career research, and its still the same now, if not more so. I want to be a doctor. I don't want to be a biomedical scientist, or a pharmacist, or do an academic degree and be a teacher or a nurse or anything. I want to be a doctor :/

But yeah, DON'T think like that. Gets you all sad :frown: Just enjoy the year out :smile:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
As GBM said above. If you are taking a gap year then unis want to see you used your time well but I wouldn't say they expect any more than they would from a school leaver. You can get into medicine as a graduate with one days work experience at a GP's, so anything is possible. The old maxim of quality>quantity applies :smile:

if i cant get a job by september/october, what should I put down in my statement? that i am "in the process" of finding a job? because apart from a job, all i can write down is that im doing more work experience and more voluntary work (perhaps abroad). which doesnt really fill a whole year up
Reply 2230
Okay so i'm concentrating on these A2 exams coming up and then I'll plan my gap year properly

but I can't think of what i'd do in that year apart from maybe work exp here and abroad for a few weeks altogether max, and maybe get a job in the nhs?

what else is there?!
and going abroad on one of those gap medic schemes looks a real adventure but it's expensive :/
if i cant get a job by september/october, what should I put down in my statement? that i am "in the process" of finding a job? because apart from a job, all i can write down is that im doing more work experience and more voluntary work (perhaps abroad). which doesnt really fill a whole year up

Well if that is the truth then that is all you can say :smile: Hopefully you will get a job to mention. Maybe set out the goals i.e what you hoped to develop from this year.
Reply 2232
Original post by twelve
Seriously, the only thing you can do is email the univerisities you are thinking about applying. Look on their website for someone who deals with admissions. If you don't get a response, give them a ring :smile: Some universities may specify, but you NEED to contact them and ask.

I knoww, I have days like this as well. Nothing will guarantee you a place, its true, but just think how excited and hopeful you were this time last year. Be like that again :smile: Think positive, and we're all here to keep you motivated :biggrin: You can only do your best, and as cheesy as it sounds, right now, you need to focus on enjoying your life at the moment. You can work for your UKCAT, and plan for your gap year, but try not to think ahead of that.

I started feeling down the other day while I was trying to think of something to put down as a fifth option, knowing that if I don't get in this year, I'llT have to take it. And also knowing that with grad entry being so competitive, its more than likely that whatever I choose will be my new career plan. I can't help it, all I want to do is medicine. Nothing else compares. It was the same when I was first doing career research, and its still the same now, if not more so. I want to be a doctor. I don't want to be a biomedical scientist, or a pharmacist, or do an academic degree and be a teacher or a nurse or anything. I want to be a doctor :/

But yeah, DON'T think like that. Gets you all sad :frown: Just enjoy the year out :smile:

Thank you for that. I needed it :smile:
Reply 2233
did anyone do D1 on OCR today?
Reply 2234
Original post by atomos

which uni was it if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by dmz
did anyone do D1 on OCR today?

How was it?! :zomg:
Reply 2236
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
How was it?! :zomg:

fail, ran out of time. Got between 76 and 82, no-one seemed to finish so hopefully they lower the boundary enough for me to get 86, most of it was easy tho different from the usual style
Original post by dmz
fail, ran out of time. Got between 76 and 82, no-one seemed to finish so hopefully they lower the boundary enough for me to get 86, most of it was easy tho different from the usual style

Ah, fair enough. Never did D1 so no idea what the exams would usually be like but hopefully you've done well enough to change your grade overall. If not, you're still gonna be at uni? :gah:
Reply 2238
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
Ah, fair enough. Never did D1 so no idea what the exams would usually be like but hopefully you've done well enough to change your grade overall. If not, you're still gonna be at uni? :gah:

Haha Yea my offer is unconditional :smug: only did it for money but I'm happy no matter the outcome :smile:
Original post by dmz
Haha Yea my offer is unconditional :smug: only did it for money but I'm happy no matter the outcome :smile:

Just hope for the best and even then, no matter!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending