The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ReMos
I put that that in B the grease covered the stomatal pores which did not allow water to leave through the stomata which prevented loss in eater which reduced loss in mass :s-smilie: not sure if that is right tho :biggrin:

well i thought it didnt completely prevent water loss, because on the graph it did show water lost from the leaf covered in grease so i wrote it increased the distance of the diffusion pathway therefore reducing the amount of water lost :confused:
Reply 1761
Original post by edebsi10
i dnt know how people got 3 cycles produces 8 cells coz ther r two produced in one cycle 2x4 = 8 so i timesd it by 4 not 3??

No, it doubles each time:

1 cell splits, so 2 cells produced. These 2 cells split, so 4 cells produced. These 4 cells split, so 8 cells produced.

3 cycles required for all that :tongue:.

I require this thread to become closed!
Original post by biologyunit1may16
ye agreed, we need an unofficial mark scheme.

yerrr....but how do we go about getting one???
Original post by ChessMister

I require this thread to become closed!

Is that the fat controller from Thomas the Tank Engine or the Monopoly man?
Original post by Kisskoli
some animal cells have cell walls.... its cellulose cell walls that are only in plants?

I'm pretty sure only plants/prokaryotae have cell walls.
Original post by edebsi10
i dnt know how people got 3 cycles produces 8 cells coz ther r two produced in one cycle 2x4 = 8 so i timesd it by 4 not 3??

You should of drawn it out in the exam.

C will represent the cell:

C
C C (1)
C C C C (2)
C C C C C C C C (3)
Original post by SoftMusk
yerrr....but how do we go about getting one???

work together, someone make a new thread, everyone puts down all the questions they can remember, suggests answers are used as the real asnwers. done :smile:
Original post by M | k e
Oh gah that one I just wrote alotttt of different stuff haha.

Went for some stomata covered by grease so water will take longer to diffuse out, also said the actual thickness of the leaf will be increased, increasing diffusion pathway so water loss is reduced through the leaf. And put less light will be able to be absorbed (no idea if this is true :P) so less photosynthesis will be taking place, hence less exchange gases required and stomata can close. And about water potential.

Was a "**** it go for a mark :biggrin:" question :smile:.

wow !!! LOOL I didn't think of all that
I hope water potential scores me the marks too =(
Reply 1769
Original post by M | k e
No, it doubles each time:

1 cell splits, so 2 cells produced. These 2 cells split, so 4 cells produced. These 4 cells split, so 8 cells produced.

3 cycles required for all that :tongue:.

Yeah, i got that, its something like 1032 minutes i got.

What did all of you think of the 6 marker at the end? I didn't think it was that hard for a question. The only questions i didn't understand much were the "why use 10 leaves" one, and how you could get 3 points for the question on tissue fluid being put back into the bloodstream again.
Original post by ??????????????????
Is that the fat controller from Thomas the Tank Engine or the Monopoly man?

Oh you fool, can you not see. IT WAS ALL SO OBVIOUS. THE FAT CONTROLLER IS THE MONOPOLY MAN!

Original post by Jim Lee

What did all of you think of the 6 marker at the end? I didn't think it was that hard for a question. The only questions i didn't understand much were the "why use 10 leaves" one, and how you could get 3 points for the question on tissue fluid being put back into the bloodstream again.

For minutes it was 774.

For the six marker, I wrote
Resistant bacteria survive
Higher proportion of resistant bacteria
Can transmit vertically through binary fission
Can transmit horizontally using conjugation tunnels (should have said tubes but do I get a mark for tunnels? :O)
Dead resistant bacteria still transmit vertically.

For 10 leaves I said increase the sample size to make it more reliable as you can identify outliers.
Lower water potential in blood due to large proteins lowering it.
Tissue fluid re-enters the blood
Excess tissue fluid enters the lymphatic vessels and rejoins circulatory system later.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ChessMister
Oh you fool, can you not see. IT WAS ALL SO OBVIOUS. THE FAT CONTROLLER IS THE MONOPOLY MAN!

THEN WHO IS THE PRINGLES GUY!?!?!?
Madness.
Reply 1773
Original post by Jim Lee

Should of got 258x3 = 774 minutes if I remember. 1032 is 4x the cycle length :3.

Tissue fluid I said: Hydrostatic pressure of tissue fluid > pressure in capillary at venous end, so tissue fluid forced back into blood vessel. And large proteins present in plasma, but not tissue fluid, so lower water potential, so water enters via osmosis. And finally the "used" tissue fluid passes down the lymphatic system, where it rejoins the circulatory system at 2 nodes near the heart.

6 marker I went for: Horizontal gene transmission (conjugation), Vertical gene transmission (binary fission), and selection being that using antibiotics kills off the non-resistant bacteria, reducing competition for resistant strain, increases their likelihood of surviving and reproducing. All clones will now contain the resistant gene, increasing their numbers etc.
Original post by ??????????????????
THEN WHO IS THE PRINGLES GUY!?!?!?
Madness.

don't be ridiculous.
Reply 1775
for the tissue fluid going back into the circulatory system i mentioned diffusion, hydrostatic pressure and Lymphatic system all expanded of course:smile:
Original post by davis053
for the tissue fluid going back into the circulatory system i mentioned diffusion, hydrostatic pressure and Lymphatic system all expanded of course:smile:

Diffusion? :s-smilie:
Original post by ReMos
introns, stop/start codons, some amino acids require more than one triplet, minisatelites, everything really

how about stop start bases?
Original post by davis053

how many marks was that question? 3?
Reply 1779
Original post by Midnight_sun
how many marks was that question? 3?

yeah it was 3, I didn't mention diffusion but osmosis instead?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending