The Student Room Group

How can people pass A levels without revision?!

Hey
There are quite a few people who pass A levels with little or no revision! How do they do it?! Anyone else like this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zoof
Hey
There are quite a few people who pass A levels with little or no revision! How do they do it?! Anyone else like this?

Some people are naturally gifted and have the knowledge. Some people on the other hand work tremendously hard to get the grades they want. Depends how you revise i guess and how quickly your grasp the subject. (I am not one of those many naturally gifted people unfortunately)
1) Naturally gifted.
2) Not a very difficult subject for the individual.
3) They work hard continuously throughout the year and therefore don't need to intensely revise near exams.
4) They were lucky.
5) They cheated.
Some are just fortunate enough to retain information like a sponge throughout the year

Or, much more likely, they lie and revise just as hard as everyone else does
Reply 4
A pass, which is an E, requires very little revision.

For an A, they probably do lots of revision at home, but say they don't.
If this is based on them saying they dont revise, theyre probably lying as they dont think its cool to revise

If you know they definitely dont revise they are just lucky and the information sticks in their head easily (also I am extremely jealous of anyone like that :frown:)
Reply 6
Its highly subject dependent - certainly achievable for certain subjects such as maths and maybe chemistry. Subjects like history or english though, is another matter.
Reply 7
I think the quality of teaching you have throughout the course influences the amount of revision you have to put in in exam season.
It is about working hard from the start and not cramming
Reply 9
I'm talking about As level economics mainly. Some guys last year dossed around and hardly did any revison..but came out with Cs'-A's! Maybe economics AS is easy....i don't know
Reply 10
Work hard throughout the year and you will have to do minimal revision when it comes march/april. When picking your A-Levels you should really choose ones which you have a passion for e.g. say if you had a passion for ICT although you wanted to choose Maths because ICT was a softer subject although you disliked Maths. It will probably bite you in the back when it comes exam time.

That naturally gifted thing is bull**** in my opinion. There are some people who are either stupid and will never be able to pass and then there are those who are lazy who have the ability but don't work and loseout
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
I call shenanigans.
By taking A-Levels which are suited to them/significantly easier than other A-Levels?
Reply 13
by being a genius
To get an A to C in most A levels requires only remembering how to do repetitive formulaic questions. For example, anyone doing maths will know that the difference between the required knowledge and understanding of an A* to A grade candidate, is much greater than the gap from A to B, or B to C. That's why only passing is so easy, you don't even have to underrstand what you are doing.
Reply 15
So these people could of passed but having a good understand and working well throughout the year - making up for not doing any revision?
I do it, and i don't work very well in the year. I'm not saying im naturally gifted, i just retain knowledge MUCH more when it's spoken to me. so instead of taking class notes, i just sit there and listen. then all i need is a quick skim of notes and it's done.
Reply 17
I can get an a in maths with minimal revision. Mainly because I've been taught well, did my homework, memorised the method; easy. But for chemistry, physics and music I have to bloody work hard for anything to stick in. But I'm quite lucky in the fact that good coursework generally helps in those 3 subjects; far less pressure. :smile:
Reply 18
I passed my A levels with no revision and little effort.

But that's also why my grades are average at best. I still regret not doing more work and if I could go back in time and change that I would.
Original post by Nightstar-27
1) Naturally gifted.
2) Not a very difficult subject for the individual.
3) They work hard continuously throughout the year and therefore don't need to intensely revise near exams.
4) They were lucky.
5) They cheated.

this is true
well said

Quick Reply

Latest