The Student Room Group

OCR AS - Chemistry Unit F322 - Chains, energy and resource - REVISION!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by breed77
I hope we get a question on the Cahn-Ingold-Prelog nomenclature, its the one thing i really understand!

pardon? what on earth is Cahn-Ingold-Prelog nomenclature?
Original post by breed77
I hope we get a question on the Cahn-Ingold-Prelog nomenclature, its the one thing i really understand!

The syllabus specifically says we don't have to know about it. Don't try to freak people out :smile:
Reply 402
Is Entgegen-Zusammen naming scheme for alkenes where it contains more than one functional group (so you have to determine molecular mass) likely to come up or is it not in the specification? :s

Just realised it the same thing as what the pro log sopadjnsaofj system person was speaking about.. fail much? :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 403
Original post by lolo-x
if anyone wants to see some notes, i've attached mine here and pleeease let me know if there's anything wrong or missing that i need to know about! :smile:

Very nice notes - out of rep :frown:
Reply 404
Original post by breed77

My teacher is actually a legend, and she has never mentioned it as that. Its classification of E/Z isomers-thought it would be with prelog. There should be a question on cis/trans or e/z isomerism, of structural isomers.

Original post by Cleoleo
huh which paper asks about Boltsmann distribution ???

I think jan 2011 and june 2010 both have essay questions where they ask for it. Bit stupid how they only give ONE mark for a fully correct Bolztmann distribution-but at least if you get it wrong, you only lose one mark, i guess
Reply 405
Original post by breed77

the what now??
Reply 406
What is sustainability
and how do ezymes make reactions more "sustainable"
Reply 407
so basically Cahn-Ingold-Prelog nomenclature is just E/Z isomerism
Reply 408
can someone please symmarise Carbon Capture & Storage & the cabonate thing
Reply 409
Original post by Jubilee~

Waste carbon dioxide can be removed as a liquid and injected deep in the oceans, or it can be reacted with metal oxides (e.g. CaO) and stored as stable carbonates (e.g. CaCO3)
Reply 410
Original post by lolo-x
Waste carbon dioxide can be removed as a liquid and injected deep in the oceans, or it can be reacted with metal oxides (e.g. CaO) and stored as stable carbonates (e.g. CaCO3)

doesnt it involve reusing the CO2 aswell? or is that differant bit?
Reply 411
has anyone got the mark scheme for the jan 11 paper? x
Reply 412
Original post by J DOT A
What is sustainability
and how do ezymes make reactions more "sustainable"

Catalysts are sustainable because they enable reactions to take place at a lower temperature, saving energy as less fuel is needed which means that less CO2 is emitted (so less global warming). Also, reactions with a higher atom economy can be used so waste is reduced. Catalysts aren't consumed so little is required.
Reply 413
do we need to know the equation for CCS? like the one using decarbonised fuels etc
Reply 414
has anyone got the mark scheme for the jan 11 paper? x

:smile: enjoy

Carbon Capture and Storage is the removal of waste carbon dioxide. Decarbonised fuels where hydrocarbons are reacted with water to produce CO2 and H2 are used. CO2 is then siphoned off under ground deep in the sea beds where oil drills used to be, which then pushed up any excess oil. Or CO2 can be "scrubbed". CO2 reacts with Metal Oxides to produce unreactive Metal Carbonates :smile:

If it comes up in a question like "Suggest how scientists are trying to minimise the effect of global warming." then you'll get one mark for mentioning Carbon Capture and Storage, and 2 marks for the examples given above. You can also mention finding a use for carbon dioxide such as fizzy drinks (Yes it actually gets you the mark!) and decaffeinated coffee. Then you'll want to mention the Kyoto agreement in which all of the countries that signed up pledged to reduce carbon emissions by 2012 or pay a carbon tax. You could also say about how scientists are keeping the government informed, educating schools about climate change, and monitoring the effects of global warming. Finally, you should mention that scientists are assessing the impacts of CO2 increasing.

Hope that helps :smile:

EDIT: As you mentioned the decarbonised fuel equations:

C4H8 + 8H2O -> 4CO2 + 12H2

Just as an example :smile: I'd remember it incase it comes up!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 416
Original post by shyro1000

No thats alternative uses for CO2-i thing the syllabus says we probably wont be asked about this, but i would still revise it in case we are. CCS (carbon capture + storage) is all about storing it in used oil reserves, and storing as metal carbonates.
Reply 417
Original post by lolo-x
:smile: enjoy

thankyou :biggrin:
Reply 418
Original post by shyro1000

If the question asks you to outline carbon capture and storage, just say what I just told you :smile:
Reply 419
how does the infrared being absorbed by bond contribute to global warming?
is it because the radiation will be re-emitted as heat & therefore contribute to the global warming?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending