The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kpatb
I'm not so much worried about my offer, I'm just worried I'll do REALLY badly because I've been lacking any motivation over the past few months.

Which exam is it? Have you done any modules in the exam already?
I'm sure you will do fine! Good luck!

I know what you mean! I keep telling myself I need to work then I get distracted by something stupid :tongue:

It's English Lit. Did a module in January and did well so I need 84% now for an A* but I have no idea what I did last time to do well ! :L Ack well I'll just have to answer as best I can :smile:
Thanks! Good luck to you too :biggrin:
Original post by cpdavis
For me, it's really physics but I have decided to go on the idea of Positive thinking! :biggrin: :woo: :jebus: :grin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Not a good idea if there's a question about electrons.
Reply 1682
Original post by magicalyoghurt
I know what you mean! I keep telling myself I need to work then I get distracted by something stupid :tongue:

It's English Lit. Did a module in January and did well so I need 84% now for an A* but I have no idea what I did last time to do well ! :L Ack well I'll just have to answer as best I can :smile:
Thanks! Good luck to you too :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm in a very similar position to you.
Oh my gosh, I'm glad it's not just me who doesn't remember what they did in January xD

All I really remember about January is worrying a lot about Cambridge decisions coming out, followed by me receiving an offer, followed by lots of happiness which then ended in a huge amount of panicking because I had barely revised for any of the exams I had that month :P

I'm sure we'll be fine :smile: What's important is that we meet our offers, and I'm sure you will!
If you miss it by a small amount, they'll surely make allowances too - so dont worry :smile:

ahhhh I'm so nervous!

I have 6 exams in the space of a week.
FML -_______-
Original post by kpatb
Yeah, I'm in a very similar position to you.
Oh my gosh, I'm glad it's not just me who doesn't remember what they did in January xD

All I really remember about January is worrying a lot about Cambridge decisions coming out, followed by me receiving an offer, followed by lots of happiness which then ended in a huge amount of panicking because I had barely revised for any of the exams I had that month :P

I'm sure we'll be fine :smile: What's important is that we meet our offers, and I'm sure you will!
If you miss it by a small amount, they'll surely make allowances too - so dont worry :smile:

ahhhh I'm so nervous!

I have 6 exams in the space of a week.
FML -_______-

Aw thank you that is comforting :L We're all in the same boat I suppose :smile:

You'll be grand too!!! 6 exams in a week - sure that's nothing for a future Cambridge student :wink: Lols but I suppose you could think about positively cos in that week you'll get loads of them done and dusted rather than waiting forever to finish? I'm always being optimistic but only for others not for me :tongue:

I'm trying not to think about all the ones I've done now :redface: I'll worry in August time! Just 2 to go now anyways - cannot wait!:cool:

Good luck!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 1684
Hi everyone!!

need some serious help here... anyone doing PPS?

:smile:
Two exams down, one to go! Maths was pretty tough, but Stats seemed to go slightly better - really hoping they're both As! I'm hopefully studying CompSci with Social Psychology next year at Fitzwilliam, so naturally Computing is my strongest subject, but I can't be arsed studying for it! Something of a paradox considering I studied so much for the first two. Ah well, it's still a week away, it'll be fine...
Reply 1686
Was just looking through Catz' website, and read that they wanted financial guarantee by 31 May 2011. They didnt send any email or any notification about it, so i am wondering if anyone has sent their financial guarantee document to their college yet?

Also it asks for a letter from the parent's employer stating the parent's salary, and a letter from the parent stating that they will support their child fully.

My dad got a letter from his employer but its in german, is that ok? or do they need it in english? (well the salary figure is in numbers, so anyone should be able to read that)

Also the letter from the parent, is it ok if its just 2,3 sentences stating that they will financially support the child's university, or is there anything they need to write?

Also have people started sending their colleges any documents yet? (like gcse certificates etc.?)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1687
Original post by jsadapa1
Was just looking through Catz' website, and read that they wanted financial guarantee by 31 May 2011. They didnt send any email or any notification about it, so i am wondering if anyone has sent their financial guarantee document to their college yet?

Also it asks for a letter from the parent's employer stating the parent's salary, and a letter from the parent stating that they will support their child fully.

My dad got a letter from his employer but its in german, is that ok? or do they need it in english? (well the salary figure is in numbers, so anyone should be able to read that)

Also the letter from the parent, is it ok if its just 2,3 sentences stating that they will financially support the child's university, or is there anything they need to write?

Also have people started sending their colleges any documents yet? (like gcse certificates etc.?)

Are you an international student?
I think they'll probably need the letter in English - if you can it's probably best to provide the original letter with an english translation.

I haven't sent my financial guarentee yet, but thats only because each college operates differently - it's probably best to email the admissions tutor if you still have to send it by 31st May.

I'm only going to send my documents during the holidays - I'm too stressed at the moment to think about all this stuff right now xD

In my opinion, just email and ask them any questions you have :smile:

Trinity sent me a financial guarantee form and it must be returned no later than 1st of August. I will send it when I get back to my country in July because it needs to be signed by the parent(s)

Like kpatb suggested, email them to ask for sure.

I also think you should send the original letter from your dad's employer together with the English translation. About the letter from the parents, mine is quite short, it's just a few sentences saying that they will financially support me throughout my time at Cambridge.

So far, I have only sent some documents for my visa and some others in support of my scholarship and bursary applications.
Reply 1689
Original post by sandyefs
Hi everyone!!

need some serious help here... anyone doing PPS?

:smile:

Some guy on the PPS thread used to be a SPS student... what's your problem?
Reply 1690
Original post by Jacke02
Some guy on the PPS thread used to be a SPS student... what's your problem?

mm well I know that they put up the reading lists and the paper choices with each of theeeeir reading lists up in "spring summer" but i can't find them and i don't know where to find them and i don't knwo when they should be up....so i was wondering if anyone was a little more informed than me...

also, i was wondering if ANY first years don't want to live in the college?
Reply 1691
mm well I know that they put up the reading lists and the paper choices with each of theeeeir reading lists up in "spring summer" but i can't find them and i don't know where to find them and i don't knwo when they should be up....so i was wondering if anyone was a little more informed than me...

Oh i can help, last year's paper list is online here:

http://goo.gl/HmsVu

All the papers are outlined, and the reading list for each is below*. things may change since last year though, there may not be the same lecturers and courses so reading lists may change.

*edit: well i think its what you mean by a reading list, not sure if something different will be given in spring/summer. I definately need to read up on some sociology anyhow.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1692
Original post by Jacke02

All the papers are outlined, and the reading list for each is below*. things may change since last year though, there may not be the same lecturers and courses so reading lists may change.

*edit: well i think its what you mean by a reading list, not sure if something different will be given in spring/summer. I definately need to read up on some sociology anyhow.

ok brilliant that's exactly what i meant! BUUUUT what i was saying was that anytime now, the 2011-2012 version will be put online...but i don't know when and i don't knwo where....

any thoughts on my accomodation situation? do you happen to know anyone living off the colleges or that wants to?

whats your offer btw?

Original post by Jacke02

You don't really need to do any pre-reading for PPS.

If you do want to (it can vaguely help you because it saves you a little time), just ask and I can suggest you some stuff :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1694
Original post by JamesMcAulay
Two exams down, one to go! Maths was pretty tough, but Stats seemed to go slightly better - really hoping they're both As! I'm hopefully studying CompSci with Social Psychology next year at Fitzwilliam, so naturally Computing is my strongest subject, but I can't be arsed studying for it! Something of a paradox considering I studied so much for the first two. Ah well, it's still a week away, it'll be fine...

Jealous! I have 2 down and 5 to go! :'( and neither of the 2 are in my offer! It's so hard to keep motivated!! It's just the final stretch!
Are you starting in Fitz next year? (2012/2013?) Sure you will do fine!
Reply 1695
Original post by ArchedEdge
You don't really need to do any pre-reading for PPS.

If you do want to (it can vaguely help you because it saves you a little time), just ask and I can suggest you some stuff :smile:

Oh okay, well can you suggest something not too massive to read for sociology?
Reply 1696
ok brilliant that's exactly what i meant! BUUUUT what i was saying was that anytime now, the 2011-2012 version will be put online...but i don't know when and i don't knwo where....

any thoughts on my accomodation situation? do you happen to know anyone living off the colleges or that wants to?

whats your offer btw?

My offer's A* in psychology and two As in maths, physics and english lit. Im on track for an A in maths which im hardly worried about, physics should be fine but psychology can be marked very badly... what's your offer? Mines not to bad compared to those having to get A*s in further maths and such.

And i don't think they want you living out of college accomodation in the first year or the last year. In the first year they want you to meet new people, and i was told in the last year they like having you in college accomodation for finals and looking after you during them. I don't know anyone who hasn't lived out of college accomodation. Personally i don't want to, Corpus Christi is right next to the lecture halls for PPS and there's a new college library.
Good luck to everyone :smile: I haven't even started exams yet... not sure whether it's a blessing or a curse. I kinda just want them over with now! Suppose I'll still be stressing about my offer whether they're done or not though...
Original post by Ajka
Jealous! I have 2 down and 5 to go! :'( and neither of the 2 are in my offer! It's so hard to keep motivated!! It's just the final stretch!
Are you starting in Fitz next year? (2012/2013?) Sure you will do fine!

Woah! Are you doing 5 A Levels? That's intense! What's your offer for, and which college? :smile: I'm starting this year, I've heard they don't like maths/science students taking gap years because your level of ability can drop!
Original post by Jacke02
Oh okay, well can you suggest something not too massive to read for sociology?

Towards Pragmatism by Patrick Baert

It's essentially your entire first term lecture course, in a concise and easy to read manner. If any specific parts interest you then go and read the original texts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending