The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1960
i put light sensitive eyespot...or wateva that thing was for question 1! is that wrong?/
Original post by ChessMister
Not really, as the nature of HSW contradicts the nature of a markscheme'd examination, in that there are hundreds of ways they can be answered, but only one way AQA want you to answer.

I would agree with that point though. You can counter that by writing every possible point that might be on the mark scheme.
Original post by TheBlueNowhere
I can see where you are coming from but how can the gifted people stand out if all the a-level required was learning a text book off by heart. If that was the case I think it would de-value the who a-level. One of the reasons Maths is a respected A-level is because each question is unique, you can't just learn textbook definitions, you actually have to show you have the ability to apply your knowledge to a wide range of questions.

If student X did know all the Biology in the world then they would've drifted through those questions. The impression I got when I spoke to people after the exam is the ones I know to be of higher abilities seemed to be getting the rights answers, the lower ability ones generally struggled to apply what they knew to those situations.

Not rly, Biology back in the day according to my teachers was basically all knowledge, none of this HSW 'crap'. The A level was harder and people can argue that it has been getting easier. It's the HSW that unfairly trick candidates and they lose marks.

This paper did not contain enough biology from unit 2, like I said prolly around 20% maybe a bit more but how can this be fair and a better way to assess someone's biology knowledge because at the end of the day that's waht exams are. There's nothing wrong with papers with a few HSW but when it fills a paper that is so weighted like this unit I would hardly call this fair.

What's done it done, however. I know I will lose so many marks for not 'applying' it correctly and I will be deemed the 'worse' candidate even thought I might have known the content from the text book inside out.
Reply 1963
So you could've gone to no biology lessons and you still would've known about DNA being in triplets and that introns are non-coding parts of the base sequence? Don't be ridiculous! I'm not saying it takes no intelligence, obviously it takes an intelligence of some level. However I'd say that most people that get accepted onto Biology A-level courses could get an A if there was no HSW and they learnt the text-book off by heart.

what i am saying is the amount of HSW questions were excessive. cant you agree with me that there were more HSW questions in this exam paper than previous yeas?

Im all for HSW questions but within limits like previous years. HSW is what the EMPA is for which I found was quite easy actually.

your saying its people of higher intelligence should get As rather than people with less intelligence. when youve got a job your gonna employ someone with the required knowledge not just someone wiht high IQ. for brain surgery would you rather have the guy who has the knowledge and worked hard for his degree. or some guy with really high intelligence. Knowledge is importnat. you build on it at uni so youve got to know the basic stuff at As so they shuold examine it and see if its there. I think a Uni would rather have someone who undertands how genetics works rather than someone who can answer why using 10 leaves is beneficial (I put reduce percentage error is that right :P)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jamescook
on the first question, was it only cell wall, starch and chloroplasts? i wrote chloroplasts and that eye thingy mabob...

x

I think the light sensitive eye may be a neutral, it's quite a strange thing.
Reply 1965
You're not wrong, it was a competitive inhibitor. Not sure that stating that will be worth anything ont he mark scheme though.

ok thanks
yh i explained it too :smile:
Original post by SpecialApple
I think the light sensitive eye may be a neutral, it's quite a strange thing.

The only place I can think of the light sensitive eye exiting in humans is ine the eye itself. If humans don't contain that eye thing then surely you will get a mark. Can't see it being classed as neutral though, it's either right or wrong.
I wouldn't class HSW as 'crap'. It obviously differentiates between candidates who simply learn the book off by heart and those who can adapt the knowledge they have learned into given situations.
The only place I can think of the light sensitive eye exiting in humans is ine the eye itself. If humans don't contain that eye thing then surely you will get a mark. Can't see it being classed as neutral though, it's either right or wrong.

So wouldn't that make the light sensitive eye as being present in eukaryotes, as we are consistent of eukaryote cells only?
Original post by razzler
what i am saying is the amount of HSW questions were excessive. cant you agree with me that there were more HSW questions in this exam paper than previous yeas?

Im all for HSW questions but within limits like previous years. HSW is what the EMPA is for which I found was quite easy actually.

your saying its people of higher intelligence should get As rather than people with less intelligence. when youve got a job your gonna employ someone with the required knowledge not just someone wiht high IQ. for brain surgery would you rather have the guy who has the knowledge and worked hard for his degree. or some guy with really high intelligence. Knowledge is importnat. you build on it at uni so youve got to know the basic stuff at As so they shuold examine it and see if its there. I think a Uni would rather have someone who undertands how genetics works rather than someone who can answer why using 10 leaves is beneficial (I put reduce percentage error is that right :P)

I'll agree that the amount of HSW questions was higher in this paper than most, it's just one of those curveballs that you have to be prepared for though. My point is that the intelligent people still have to work hard to get to the top of any medicine field, but getting to the top shouldn't purely just be about working hard. It would be no good having a brain surgeon who suddenly didn't know what to do as something was out of the ordinary and he hadn't read about it in textbooks. I'd want one who could make an informed decision without having to pause in the middle of an operation to check case studies.

I presume by reduce percentage error you were getting at increase reliabilty, which would be right. Not completely sure examiners will give reduce percentage error though. That has more to do with the equipment and accuracy of results, as oppose to reliability. I'd need to look how the question was phrased again to say with complete confidence though.

My last reply tonight. Need to get up early to start Chemistry revision.
So wouldn't that make the light sensitive eye as being present in eukaryotes, as we are consistent of eukaryote cells only?

Well I don't know if they actually exist in animals (meant animals not humans in my last post). I would guess they do though, which would mean that it was wrong. That question looked quite easy on the face of it but both flagellum and light senstive bit were there to trap you I think.
Well I don't know if they actually exist in animals (meant animals not humans in my last post). I would guess they do though, which would mean that it was wrong. That question looked quite easy on the face of it but both flagellum and light senstive bit were there to trap you I think.

Haha yeah, I definitely think they were both there to trick us! Oh well I put starch grains and chloroplasts :smile:
Haha yeah, I definitely think they were both there to trick us! Oh well I put starch grains and chloroplasts :smile:

yeah same, forget about the rest and just put the 2 most obvious ones lol
I was confused to why the graph for set A leaves decreased dramatically at first and then became flat? Was it because there was no water left to evaporate or did the stomata close or what?..
Original post by SmithytheDrummer
I was confused to why the graph for set A leaves decreased dramatically at first and then became flat? Was it because there was no water left to evaporate or did the stomata close or what?..

I think less water left in the leaf, so lower concentration gradient, slower diffusion.
Original post by Liam 09
I think less water left in the leaf, so lower concentration gradient, slower diffusion.

Dayum, that makes so much sense!

I put that the leaf can only lose so much water, given that it has no way of uptaking new water. So by definition the more it water it loses, the less it has left to lose, hence the decrease in the steepness of mass loss. :erm:
Original post by kingsmod1
yeah same, forget about the rest and just put the 2 most obvious ones lol

I always find it is best just putting down the really obvious answer rather than trying to be overly scientific :wink:
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Dayum, that makes so much sense!

I put that the leaf can only lose so much water, given that it has no way of uptaking new water. So by definition the more it water it loses, the less it has left to lose, hence the decrease in the steepness of mass loss. :erm:

Well what you've said seems pretty logical, no idea if they would give marks for that.
And who knows maybe i'm talking crap too :tongue:
Original post by Kisskoli
sorry if ive missed it, looked thru most of the posts... but
what did people write for how diff base sequence for protein may lead to a diff in structure?

Not sure if this is right but:

Different DNA base sequence = Different genes (?) = Different /change in amino acid sequence = Different primary structure = Different bonding = Different tertiary structure?

This question has come up on previous papers.
Original post by Introverted moron
Not sure if this is right but:

Different DNA base sequence = Different genes (?) = Different /change in amino acid sequence = Different primary structure = Different bonding = Different tertiary structure?

This question has come up on previous papers.

That's like 6 marking points so if you put that then yes you got the 3 marks. And i put it too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending