The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by Aiko
Indeed, from my recollection, the only thing of any significance to come from this OVA. Shame it lacked a decent plot.

It hasn't been too bad actually (although this is in comparison to the 'terribad' OVA's I've been watching lately), but yes the main point of the series seems to be the carnage more than anything else :giggle:

Original post by Susant
So I just finished Gunbuster. I'd heard it was good, but I underestimated it when I first got into it. It's only six episodes and I'd seen the 'epic battle' clip, so I assumed that all there was to it.

Surprisingly, it had a lot to offer for its length and is quite deep. I especially loved the developement of Noriko from weak to strong, then regressing back to weak once the terms of her situation really hits her before coming back stronger. I can see bits of Gurren Lagann in there, and it is sort of the similar but more condensed. I really liked it, maybe even more than TTGL but that might be because I've just finished it.

The ending was quite :cry: WELCOME HOME!!!!!

Imma gonna watch Diebuster (or Gunbuster 2) now. Hope it's just as good.

Gunbuster's ending was brilliant - Diebuster is much more shiny & you can see a lot more of the GAINAX stamp on it (particularly FLCL / TTGL). Great series though, the ending is particularly good if you've seen Gunbuster :yes:
Reply 921
Original post by caraniel
It hasn't been too bad actually (although this is in comparison to the 'terribad' OVA's I've been watching lately), but yes the main point of the series seems to be the carnage more than anything else :giggle:

Terribad? Aha, that's an amalgamation I haven't encountered before. :giggle: Curiously, what have you been watching? As for 3 x 3 Eyes, it's quite possible my impression may differ to when I saw it, stemming back to the late 90s.
Reply 922
Original post by Aiko
On my voyage to revisit some of the older anime I've enjoyed over the years, I've picked up Lupin III again. They don't make anime like they used to.

:shakecane:

doobeedoobedo, just watching Deadman wonderland 5, ah yes, hmmm OH GOD WHY THE ****ING EYE? :nyoron:

Now my eyes feel odd :emo:
Reply 923
Original post by Aiko
Terribad? Aha, that's an amalgamation I haven't encountered before. :giggle: Curiously, what have you been watching? As for 3 x 3 Eyes, it's quite possible my impression may differ to when I saw it, stemming back to the late 90s.

The words terrible & bad on their own don't cover the awfulness XD

Been watching Terribad with a small group on skype every week - thus far I've watched with them:
Rebirth of Buddha (Woo film made by a cult!)
Legend of Duo (poorly animated effeminate vampires!)
Project ICE (2nd time watching - still a pretentious mess)
California Crisis: Gun Salvo (Hilariously nonsensical)
Blue Flames (terrible sex scenes & horrible writing)
Itsudatte My Santa! (painful)

This week is Mars of Destruction & Ibunai Sisters........should be interesting :laugh:
Finished watching Reborn :puppyeyes: I can't believe I got through 203 episodes in 2 1/2 weeks considering I have exams... What do I do against the post-anime blues :frown: :frown: :emo:
Reply 925
Original post by Aiko
Akira is something of a masterpiece, but consider Eden, Domu (same mangaka) and Gunnm.

That's a shame. I shall!
Reply 926
Finished Hakuouki, both series, very very pretty.
Reply 927
haha The end of the latest Beelzebub chapter made me :lol: like never before.
Reply 928
Original post by Truered
:shakecane:

I'm beginning to feel like an old aged pensioner. :sadnod:

doobeedoobedo, just watching Deadman wonderland 5, ah yes, hmmm OH GOD WHY THE ****ING EYE? :nyoron:

Now my eyes feel odd :emo:

Tru-pyon. :emog: Consider yourself lucky that it was censored, for the most part, unlike its manga counterpart. :tongue:

Original post by caraniel
The words terrible & bad on their own don't cover the awfulness XD

Been watching Terribad with a small group on skype every week - thus far I've watched with them:
Rebirth of Buddha (Woo film made by a cult!)
Legend of Duo (poorly animated effeminate vampires!)
Project ICE (2nd time watching - still a pretentious mess)
California Crisis: Gun Salvo (Hilariously nonsensical)
Blue Flames (terrible sex scenes & horrible writing)
Itsudatte My Santa! (painful)

This week is Mars of Destruction & Ibunai Sisters........should be interesting :laugh:

I've only seen Project Ice from that list and agree with your assessment. :tongue:
Just watching the first Gintama episode... :mmm:

:teehee:
Reply 930
Original post by Susant
haha The end of the latest Beelzebub chapter made me :lol: like never before.

The start and the end made me LOL I love how Alaindelon was blushing as Oga did his thing. :colone: And Furuichi! I thought what he did was incredibly sweet until.. that. Oh this manga make me lol too much.

Original post by whitepearlbaby
Just watching the first Gintama episode... :mmm:

:teehee:

Wahoo! Don't stop now! :biggrin:

Just finished Arakawa Under the Bridge. O.o One of the craziest and most random anime I've ever watched. Highly enjoyable and recommended though!
Bring on AUBxBridge! :biggrin:
Reply 931
Original post by Aiko

Tru-pyon. :emog: Consider yourself lucky that it was censored, for the most part, unlike its manga counterpart. :tongue:

I can generally handle most gore (but I think I've mellowed out in recent times, and gave up on one of the newer saw films after about two minutes*) but eyes and things to do with throats at times just make me all :yucky: Mainly eyes. If only for the odd feelings I get (I've started having to rub my eyes while typing this after recalling the scene :teehee: ) However with the throats thing it's more things being jammed into them (Tracheotomy :afraid: ) as opposed to slashing things used by assassins etc :yes:

On actually on topic related news, slowly making my way though the dragon ball manga (want to take my time) just finished volume 4. It's odd to think about how male dominated the more famous part of the series is, given how there have been at least three female characters playing a role so far...well until the tournament arc :tongue:

*I sat through the build up to the opening death and thought "nope **** this I'm out" and went and watched the simpsons (probably :tongue:). Plus I've never really held saw/hostel films in very high regard.
According to ANN, Mysterious Cities of Gold has been confirmed for three new 26 episode series. :zomg: Doubt they'll count as anime this time around though, since they seem to be fully French productions.
Is it weird that anime has awoken my interest in Japanese cuisine and interior design? :rofl:
I want to make onigiri at some point this summer :colondollar:
Original post by Aiko

Latest episode has been so so... I still look forward to watching this each week, more so than most, but the slow pacing is bugging me a little. :sadnod:

same, but i duno if its cos i dont get to marathon through it anymore or the last few eps have been generally slow, for me :p:

this weeks ep looks like flashbacks :s-smilie: god i hope its not gona be the start of a filler arc :sigh:

Is it weird that anime has awoken my interest in Japanese cuisine and interior design? :rofl:

:nah: their food makes we wana try some :yum:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 935

Not weird at all! :biggrin: I've even come to appreciate eating pot noodles with the thought that I'm eating ramen. (I'm pretty shallow huh? lol)

Oooh there's this shop in my town where they sell most of the things you need to make sushi, from the materials to the ingredients! I think they only thing they don't sell is the fish. :biggrin:
Original post by ella37
Not weird at all! :biggrin: I've even come to appreciate eating pot noodles with the thought that I'm eating ramen. (I'm pretty shallow huh? lol)

Oooh there's this shop in my town where they sell most of the things you need to make sushi, from the materials to the ingredients! I think they only thing they don't sell is the fish. :biggrin:

Oh god, check out the youtube channel "cookingwithdog" (great name huh), they have a recipe for yakibuta ramen and it looks sooo nice, but most of the ingredients take like 2 hours to cook and the egg has to be made the day before and there's 5000 little ingredients, waaaaah xD
I want to go to your shop, the height of Asian cooking is our Chinese shop, I hope I can at least get some short grain rice from there for my balls ( :mmm: ), luckily (or not?) I don't like sushi much, at least not the fish version :frown: But yeah, so many recipes to try, I'm probably gonna start with a Japanese sort of omelette (I forgot the name), they were constantly eating that in Reborn :ninja:

Okay I'll stop now, I'm all hyped up from the youtube recipe videos :rofl: Aaah go check it out!
2nd ep of Koe de Oshigoto! :toofunny:
Reply 938
Oh god, check out the youtube channel "cookingwithdog" (great name huh), they have a recipe for yakibuta ramen and it looks sooo nice, but most of the ingredients take like 2 hours to cook and the egg has to be made the day before and there's 5000 little ingredients, waaaaah xD
I want to go to your shop, the height of Asian cooking is our Chinese shop, I hope I can at least get some short grain rice from there for my balls ( :mmm: ), luckily (or not?) I don't like sushi much, at least not the fish version :frown: But yeah, so many recipes to try, I'm probably gonna start with a Japanese sort of omelette (I forgot the name), they were constantly eating that in Reborn :ninja:

Okay I'll stop now, I'm all hyped up from the youtube recipe videos :rofl: Aaah go check it out!

Oddly enough, it's from a shop where they sell random things. Tiger? Ever heard of it? http://www.tigerstores.co.uk/
I think I've watched one of that user's video! I vaguely remember the woman and the dog. Haha. I just saw the melonpan video and I'm set to making one! I'm crap at making dough though.
Doesn't those omelettes need some special rectangular pan? :s-smilie: It seems like a lot of work too! Freaking omelette! XD (Tamagoyaki?)

Original post by eugenius 8
2nd ep of Koe de Oshigoto! :toofunny:

I actually was waiting for this too. I watched it last week. :colone: It is weird for a girl to watch something like that? xD
nice ep of Ano Hana :cute: but those 2 piss me off :unimpressed:

ep 7

Spoiler

Original post by ella37

I actually was waiting for this too. I watched it last week. :colone: It is weird for a girl to watch something like that? xD

no of course not :ahee: :five:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest