The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths A Level Grade Help

Right. Basically, I'm confused on how I'm going to achieve the grade I want. And was wondering if anyone could help. I would like a B overall for my maths... So far I don't think that's achievable. Here are my grades so far...

C1 - Retook, but think I'm at a B.
C2 - Retook, but think I'm at a C.
S1 - Got a D at 57 UMS
M1 - Got a U 27 UMS (To be ignored I guess).
C3 - Not Done...
C4 - Not Done...

Since C3 and C4 are part of the A2 course... I was curious whether I could still get a B even with my dissapointing AS results? And if I can't... Which do people suggest I resit (M1 I struggle to understand, so I don't know whether it's worth resitting). I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what grades I need to the best accuracy you can. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Are you doing AS or A2? Well C2 and C1 majority of people get A's, S1 is a bit of struggle and i assume i even i got a D this time around...I would recommend you boost your c2 and c1 grades, aim for high 80's at least, which would be two A's..M1 is hard, but if you find it hard and won't get higher than a U then don't retake it...but surely you can do better than that? Just try and get A's in c3 and c4, so you can hopefully get a B overall
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
You can't just ignore your M1 and still expect to get a high grade. If you want a B overall, then it makes sense to resit everything that was under a B. I kind of disagree with the above poster - you can't just say 'just get As in c3 and c4' when your past 4 modules have all been considerably less than that - you don't have the chance to resit c3/c4 remember... I'd definitely resit C2, S1 and M1 and sit C3, C4 and by averaging a B across those 5 modules, you'll get one.

Assuming your B and C in your core modules are mid-level, you need 196 extra points to get a B. Without any resits, that is 98% on both C3 and C4. It's up to you to decide where those 196 will come from, but resitting M1 could give a hefty amount of them...
Original post by ak9779
You can't just ignore your M1 and still expect to get a high grade. If you want a B overall, then it makes sense to resit everything that was under a B. I kind of disagree with the above poster - you can't just say 'just get As in c3 and c4' when your past 4 modules have all been considerably less than that - you don't have the chance to resit c3/c4 remember... I'd definitely resit C2, S1 and M1 and sit C3, C4 and by averaging a B across those 5 modules, you'll get one.

That is true, but i did say to retake c1 and c2 because they are probably the easier modules out of the rest...OP said he did struggle with M1, so a tutor may be helpful with this module...Fine fair enough an A in c3 and c4 is a lot to ask for especially with a B and C in c2 and c1 but it is possible.

I was possibly wondering if you can tell me whats a B in a level maths? All modules are 75 marks each, so altogether it would be out of 450?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for the help. I'll end up resitting S1 most likely... I think I can pull of an A in C3 and C4... As for C1 and C2, it wasn't my intelligence, it was just me not working as hard as I could have. Just gotta put lots of practise into C3 and C4. I might resit C2 aswell, it should be easy enough to bump some marks from that. Thanks again.

Original post by Kray
Right. Basically, I'm confused on how I'm going to achieve the grade I want. And was wondering if anyone could help. I would like a B overall for my maths... So far I don't think that's achievable. Here are my grades so far...

C1 - Retook, but think I'm at a B.
C2 - Retook, but think I'm at a C.
S1 - Got a D at 57 UMS
M1 - Got a U 27 UMS (To be ignored I guess).
C3 - Not Done...
C4 - Not Done...

Since C3 and C4 are part of the A2 course... I was curious whether I could still get a B even with my dissapointing AS results? And if I can't... Which do people suggest I resit (M1 I struggle to understand, so I don't know whether it's worth resitting). I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what grades I need to the best accuracy you can. Thanks.

C3/ C4 are like a gillion times harder than M1; retake M1, you're gonna get raped by C3 and C4.
Reply 6
I don't mean to be rude, but the chances of you getting A's in C3 and C4 are pretty slim if you didn't get A's in C1 and C2 as those modules are much harder. Your best bet would be to go back and repeat all of the modules you've already done, to try and boost them by a couple of marks.
Original post by Veem
I don't mean to be rude, but the chances of you getting A's in C3 and C4 are pretty slim if you didn't get A's in C1 and C2 as those modules are much harder.

Very true, personally i find core much easier than stats....If you can retake then you should and try boost your grades if you want a B
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Veem
I don't mean to be rude, but the chances of you getting A's in C3 and C4 are pretty slim if you didn't get A's in C1 and C2 as those modules are much harder. Your best bet would be to go back and repeat all of the modules you've already done, to try and boost them by a couple of marks.

This, plain and simply put. C3 and C4 are so much harder than c1 and c2. plus after having learned c3 and c4, c1 and c2 will seem very easy, trust me, so you might as well resit them to get some extra UMS. you can get them to A's second time round beleive me, thats what i did. u definately HAVE TO resit M1 if you want to get a B because a U will make it difficult when it doesnt have to be. there is so much space for improvement in your m1 grade that u really should resit it. your best option is always to make your AS grade as high as possible so theres less pressure (and more of a safety net so to speak) for your A2 exams. so i would also resit S2 if i was you. trust me when i say exams are so much easier when they are a resit. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Kray
Thanks for the help. I'll end up resitting S1 most likely... I think I can pull of an A in C3 and C4... As for C1 and C2, it wasn't my intelligence, it was just me not working as hard as I could have. Just gotta put lots of practise into C3 and C4. I might resit C2 aswell, it should be easy enough to bump some marks from that. Thanks again.

best option would be to resit all 4 tbh. I know that this may sound like a lot of work but it doesnt have to be really. just smash the past papers for a few days before each subject. I think you can get most past papers of a module done in 3-4 days, and definatley come out with a atleast a B. so its not too much work surely, especially when it gives you a MUCH better chance at getting your desired grades. who knows, u may even still be able to pull out an A overall. :biggrin:
Reply 10
It will be highly unlikely that you will get a B, as all the modules weigh the same amount so your U will pull you down a lot. I would recommend you to try D1 (decision 1) which is another maths module, which is like really easy instead of M1!! My friend was in the same position as you, she took Decision and got a high B. If you do continue onto AS I would recommend you resit C1, because you should find it REALLY easy next year. Don't resit all 4 because you'll just put too much stress on yourself and it will be difficult for you to manage. Aim for really high on C1 enough so that the average of C1 and C2 is a B overrall. Then see your results and see what you should next in the summer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
does anyone know all of the c3 and c4 grade boundaries????????? thank you
Reply 12
hey, what marks do it need to get all together to achieve an A? im doing C1,C2,C3,C4,S1 and S2
Reply 13
Original post by lil-nessa1
hey, what marks do it need to get all together to achieve an A? im doing C1,C2,C3,C4,S1 and S2

480/600 UMS, 80%.

Every paper is out of 75 raw marks, scaled to 100 UMS.
Reply 14
Original post by lil-nessa1

You need 480 out of 600 to get an A.
Reply 15
Original post by tommm
You need 480 out of 600 to get an A.

Hey, what do you need to get a B overall?
I got C1- B
C2-B
C3-D
C4-A
M1-D
S1- E
Reply 16
Original post by HunniBunni
Hey, what do you need to get a B overall?
I got C1- B
C2-B
C3-D
C4-A
M1-D
S1- E

You need to know the scores out of 100 for each module, rather than just the grades. The total score for a B is 420 out of 600.
Reply 17
Original post by tommm
You need to know the scores out of 100 for each module, rather than just the grades. The total score for a B is 420 out of 600.

My maths papers r out of 75:s-smilie:

C1- 72
C2- 68
C3- 54
M1- 54
S1- 43
C4- 75
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18

C1- 72
C2- 68
C3- 54
M1- 54
S1- 43
C4- 75

When you get your scores back on results day, they should be converted to UMS which is out of 100.
Reply 19

C1- 72
C2- 68
C3- 54
M1- 54
S1- 43
C4- 75

The scores you gave are out of 100, so they are your UMS scores.. Can i ask when you did those exams and got those grades?? Cos they're not too bad...
Btw you have a total of 366 UMS out of 600, which is a C.. So you need 54 more UMS to get a B :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest