The Student Room Group

Upcoming Edexcel AS Biology: Unit 2 exam on 26 May 2011

Scroll to see replies

I also but C and B. >.<

For the Zoo question, I just rambled. I did not know enough for five marks xD
Reply 241
I mentioned genetic drift, inbreeding depression, reintroduction into wild, use of stud books in my zoo answer... what did other people write??
Original post by Cleoleo
I mentioned genetic drift, inbreeding depression, reintroduction into wild, use of stud books in my zoo answer... what did other people write??

I mentioned breeding programs, reintroduction of the species, use of studbooks. Another question I just wrote down everything I could remember about the topic :colondollar:
Original post by Alakamind
For the bacteria questions, the awnser was evenly spread the bacteria all over the petri dish to create accurate results whilst using gloves.

I think that's completely wrong.
-make agar solution
-pipette out bacterial broth
-open lid just enough to allow entry of bacteria
-use aseptic conditions
Original post by snow leopard
The first thing in bold - you are absolutely right, it is a capsule, the cell wall was already labelled I think, but nevertheless it was capsule, see the annotations here on this link.

The second thing in bold, again, you're right!

Umm...i don't think the slime capsule is right..that's cuz there was no LABEL for the cell wall..i'm super sure about that..so it's gotta be cell wall..and a the question said that the diagram showed a TYPICAL prokaryotic cell..and typical cells dont have slime capsules, slime capsules are only SOMETIMES present..so yeh
what did everyone put for the telophase q?
Reply 246
hello how did you find edexcel unit 2 biology?? can i ask you for the question about fertilised eggs i put that nucleus removed from patients body and fused with egg cell and put into bone marrow is that correct? and for the question about how to put bacteria i put bacteria shoud be suspended into agar? the last question about reliable i put that it is not reliable as it was tested on only one bacterium
?
are these similar to what you got?
Original post by emmakh123
what did everyone put for the telophase q?

The three things that happen in telophase, but adapted to question, like, you'll see decondensed chromosomes, etc.

Original post by Great
hello how did you find edexcel unit 2 biology?? can i ask you for the question about fertilised eggs i put that nucleus removed from patients body and fused with egg cell and put into bone marrow is that correct? and for the question about how to put bacteria i put bacteria shoud be suspended into agar? the last question about reliable i put that it is not reliable as it was tested on only one bacterium
?
are these similar to what you got?

It didn't ask about how the egg was fertilised, the IVF had already happened, it was looking for some description of embryos as blastocysts after the 8/16 cell stage after 3/4/5 days of fertilisation in their pluripotency.

I referenced the ranges about the last question as it was a follow up from the data with plus/minus figures.
Original post by reefataziz
Umm...i don't think the slime capsule is right..that's cuz there was no LABEL for the cell wall..i'm super sure about that..so it's gotta be cell wall..and a the question said that the diagram showed a TYPICAL prokaryotic cell..and typical cells dont have slime capsules, slime capsules are only SOMETIMES present..so yeh

There was an unlaballed solid, thick, black line preceding the jelly, wavering, jagged structure, i.e. the cell wall. Preceding the thick black line (cell wall) was the empty tubular surrounding (thin double black line) - cell surface membrane.

Cell walls are linear, composed of carbohydrates in straight chains from the beta glucose monomers. We had to label a non-straight structure, otherwise known as the capsule. Cell walls can not be wavy like that, they surpress the hydrostatic pressure from within the cell, and completely unfold, maximising like an over-inflated balloon so that we see a line like this: _____________________
Reply 249
There was an unlaballed solid, thick, black line preceding the jelly, wavering, jagged structure, i.e. the cell wall. Preceding the thick black line (cell wall) was the empty tubular surrounding (thin double black line) - cell surface membrane.

Cell walls are linear, composed of carbohydrates in straight chains from the beta glucose monomers. We had to label a non-straight structure, otherwise known as the capsule. Cell walls can not be wavy like that, they surpress the hydrostatic pressure from within the cell, and completely unfold, maximising like an over-inflated balloon so that we see a line like this: _____________________

It wasnt wavy it was the same shape as the membrane and did you see the link about the june 09 paper which clearly shows the slime capsule to be a completely different shape to the cell membrane and cell wall
It was only a one mark question anyways
Okay heres what I can remember.. first the shape question.. with that part about which area showed an endemic species.. which was D coz it had that flag shaped thingy.
Then there was that tensile strength of nylon question?
What was gene locus? And that question abt which species.. the one with the less number of alleles or more was at a greater advantage..and then why did two samples from the same species vary?
That magnesium and calcium question was pretty easy.
i thought this was a very generalized paper... none of the really detailed theory came apart from RER and Golgi Bodies question =/
will the boundary be higher or lower for a generalized paper =/
Reply 251
Original post by xstrawberryswingx
Okay heres what I can remember.. first the shape question.. with that part about which area showed an endemic species.. which was D coz it had that flag shaped thingy.
Then there was that tensile strength of nylon question?
What was gene locus? And that question abt which species.. the one with the less number of alleles or more was at a greater advantage..and then why did two samples from the same species vary?
That magnesium and calcium question was pretty easy.
i thought this was a very generalized paper... none of the really detailed theory came apart from RER and Golgi Bodies question =/
will the boundary be higher or lower for a generalized paper =/

high grade boundaries without any doubt
Reply 252
Original post by Luckyk
It wasnt wavy it was the same shape as the membrane and did you see the link about the june 09 paper which clearly shows the slime capsule to be a completely different shape to the cell membrane and cell wall
It was only a one mark question anyways

Exactly! The shape was regular - and clearly a Cell Wall! Good luck if you want to argue with Snow Leopard, there have been people on here all day trying to say it was a cell wall.. but getting nowhere!

Look at it this way - if Snow Leopard put Capsule, thats one incorrect answer - which lowers the boundaries ever so slightly :wink:
By high does that mean 60/80 for an A =/
Original post by TheChief
Exactly! The shape was regular - and clearly a Cell Wall! Good luck if you want to argue with Snow Leopard, there have been people on here all day trying to say it was a cell wall.. but getting nowhere!

ARE YOU SAYING IT WAS STRAIGHT LIKE THIS LINE: _________________ ?

Lol, please prescribe yourself to specsavers - like, now. :|

Chemically and logically a cell wall cannot be deflated like a shrivelled prune or semi-wavey ocean, it has to withstand the immense internal hydrostatic pressure of the prokayote and is stretched like rubber band under a tonne of dense gold.

I assure you, the layer we had to label was alternating gently in its peaks and troughs, as flacid as a floppy banana.
Original post by xstrawberryswingx
By high does that mean 60/80 for an A =/

One year the raw A boundary was at 65 :/ hopefully won't be as much.
Reply 256

Chemically and logically a cell wall cannot be deflated like a shrivelled prune or semi-wavey ocean, it has to withstand the immense internal hydrostatic pressure of the prokayote and is stretched like rubber band under a tonne of dense gold.

I assure you, the layer we had to label was alternating gently in its peaks and troughs, as flacid as a floppy banana.

there were no peaks and troughs unless you drew them in lol :P
Reply 257

It was a straight line!! Now you really are boring me.. it was a Cell Wall, get over it!
65 =O are you serious =/ craaap thats outrageously high.. what year was that =S
Reply 259
For the zoo question it sed how wud reintrodcution n captive breedin help so surely u cannt refer to research, education-
u can talk about organisms matin wiv same species, increase numbers
keep them protected from hunters,
increase gentiv diversity

restore habititts facilitate other species that rely on these species that are released into the wild.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending