The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Normandy114
The minimum spanning tree question was so annoying, I got really confused thinking my paper was a misprint or something as all the edges were still there haha. Critical thinking unit 1 and Chemistry unit 2 retake tomorrow, I'm confident the chemistry will go well, but even if i muck it up I've already got an A at AS, so it's fine. Critical thinking I'm not too bothered about, would like a decent grade like a B or an A though. Are you finished with exams yet?

Looking at the thread on D1 it seems that most people thought the 8 marker was wrong so hopefully it was a misprint... seems more and more people are thinking it :tongue: The whole paper was just a joke, wrong answers IN the paper, misprinted diagrams - i think they forgot about this exam and just put it together at mid-night last night lol

Ah how I hated critical thinking, so glad I dropped it, I was happy to get a C lol Ah so are you a second year? or just resitting jan stuff? Nah, I've still got 4 to do, C3 resit (that i dont need so may just drop out of it) Biology, Chem and C4 all between 13th-16th then I'm freee :biggrin: Finish college tomorrow.. scary thought - it means i have to grow up :'( lol
Original post by Quackers93
Looking at the thread on D1 it seems that most people thought the 8 marker was wrong so hopefully it was a misprint... seems more and more people are thinking it :tongue: The whole paper was just a joke, wrong answers IN the paper, misprinted diagrams - i think they forgot about this exam and just put it together at mid-night last night lol

Ah how I hated critical thinking, so glad I dropped it, I was happy to get a C lol Ah so are you a second year? or just resitting jan stuff? Nah, I've still got 4 to do, C3 resit (that i dont need so may just drop out of it) Biology, Chem and C4 all between 13th-16th then I'm freee :biggrin: Finish college tomorrow.. scary thought - it means i have to grow up :'( lol

I'm year 12 but second year, we do a 3 year sixth form but do no exams in year 11, so universities are fine with it, but as a result of it the school makes us do critical thinking, general studies and an EPQ. I've got critical unit 2 and psychology unit 2 on the 7th, so I've got a while to revise for that then I'm done :biggrin:. Also good luck "growing up", whatever that is :wink:
Original post by 05jwappleyard
Did you resit the year or just chemistry because I think I'm going to have the same problem with maths when I get my AS grades :frown:

Would you mind advising me on how you got through it because I equally sympathise with you that it blows your confidence.

Good luck, you'll do great :smile:

I finished the standard two year course at my sixth form with AACC (Art, Bio, Chem and Maths respectively).

My offers required A in chem which I didn't get.

Initially I just wanted to revise by myself and then take the exams as an external candidate.

I found out that another college provided what they call 'Intensive A-levels' which are basically AS and A2 subjects compressed into one year and because I was 18 when term started I wouldn't have to pay for lesson or exams. (Privately would have cost A BOMB) since I wanted to retake all the modules and all the practical assessments.

In the end I decided to retake the whole AS and A2 Maths as well as it means I get free transport :colondollar:

In your case, I'm assuming that you are in year 12 here, you wouldn't need to redo the whole year from scratch. You will probs have to take a few modules next Jan or June.

HOWEVER, I heard that exam boards are changing their policy on retaking modules. The best thing to do would be to talk to your teacher. I wouldn't worry too much though!

Regarding the knock of confidence... I initially wallowed in self pity and told everyone I was fine. I developed a serious addiction to meme websites and watched four seasons of One Tree Hill in the space of two weeks. I then forced myself out of the house because I was starting to resemble sasquatch. Going to college helped because the people on my course were in similar situations. Also I started revising and got myself a tutor (something I wish I did for my A2 exams last year!).

Having been through the application process once before I would be happy to talk about what it was like my first time around.:biggrin:
Thanks, I know that if I need to stand a chance I need to be predicted three A's at A2, but I was just thinking that if I got 2 A's and a B at AS they would immediately reject me because my AS results are all they've got to go with PS. Yeah, your right. I suppose best thing to do is just wait for results first. Just feel really crap now thinking I probably have just missed out through some really really silly mistakes, under pressure that under normal circumstances I would have probably got right :frown:

Results day is the 18th August isn't it because it's the week before GCSE?

Thanks, a lot :smile:

Well, to be honest, there's not that much difference between a B and A- a B can turn into an A from A2 exams, especially if you're only a few marks off. :smile: I'd say it's pretty crucial to get a B in your fourth AS though.

Awww. :hugs: Don't worry, I feel the same, and it's a pretty common thing. Grade boundaries will take that into consideration. :redface:

Yeah, it is. :smile: I miss it, I'm on hol. I wanted to see the Y13's faces when they get into uni. :frown:

Good luck tomorrow!
Reply 3064
Original post by mashalli
hey,
I will be doing the biology second part (the a-level part) as I already have done the AS in my gap year so after two years of college-would you say that is like a resit...and I want to apply to bm6 incase i dont meet the aaa grades and get aab and bm6 want biology.

what grades do you have now? I think you'd be ok but unis get lots of applicants so it would be sensible to contact them and check in case it isn't obvious to them when your form goes in. are you eligible for any widening participation schemes through your local unis/Leeds etc? they give reduced offers so aab would be fine.
Reply 3065
Thanks, I know that if I need to stand a chance I need to be predicted three A's at A2, but I was just thinking that if I got 2 A's and a B at AS they would immediately reject me because my AS results are all they've got to go with PS. Yeah, your right. I suppose best thing to do is just wait for results first. Just feel really crap now thinking I probably have just missed out through some really really silly mistakes, under pressure that under normal circumstances I would have probably got right :frown:

Results day is the 18th August isn't it because it's the week before GCSE?

Thanks, a lot :smile:

most unis don't seem very bothered by AS levels. your predicted grades are more imp. you can ask your referee to comment on why you got a B but most unis shortlist by ukcat or bmat score/ gcses or a combination of things in your reference/ pers state/ ucas form.
lots of us didn't even put our AS levels down, they were so bad and lots of people resit AS modules and/or go up from b at AS to A at A2. Possibly Oxf/Camb look at AS results (check on their website) but they interview based on bmat.
Don't think you have anything to worry about. I got BCCD and I've done fine!
Reply 3066
Original post by conorcd
most unis don't seem very bothered by AS levels. your predicted grades are more imp. you can ask your referee to comment on why you got a B but most unis shortlist by ukcat or bmat score/ gcses or a combination of things in your reference/ pers state/ ucas form.
lots of us didn't even put our AS levels down, they were so bad and lots of people resit AS modules and/or go up from b at AS to A at A2. Possibly Oxf/Camb look at AS results (check on their website) but they interview based on bmat.
Don't think you have anything to worry about. I got BCCD and I've done fine!

hey my gcse results were really bad :frown: like all Bs :frown: but do u think if i get ABBB in summer and a good ukcat score i can get in medicine :/ i wanna apply for the 6 yrs one like the one in southampton :/
in light of the recent exams...

how do universities generally feel about applicants resitting a couple of modules from different subjects? deary me :tongue:

any help appreciated, ive looked on the uni websites and whatnot but they seem to be pretty sketchy about these details.
Reply 3068
Original post by godknowsprerna
hey my gcse results were really bad :frown: like all Bs :frown: but do u think if i get ABBB in summer and a good ukcat score i can get in medicine :/ i wanna apply for the 6 yrs one like the one in southampton :/

Is this AS or A2? as for AS i'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter too much, but I think for pretty much all uni's you have to get AAB at least... wouldn't worry about GCSE's but work hard now! Good luck! x
Reply 3069
Original post by seasons of wither
in light of the recent exams...

how do universities generally feel about applicants resitting a couple of modules from different subjects? deary me :tongue:

any help appreciated, ive looked on the uni websites and whatnot but they seem to be pretty sketchy about these details.

Hey,
I think they're not happy about the final exams being resitted (jun A2) but for any other modules doesn't really matter! x
Reply 3070
Original post by godknowsprerna

only some unis shortlist based on gcses-Birm,Cardiff for example. others do it purely on ukcat so long as you have predicted grades- newc, durham, sheffield etc. lower gcses won't be a problem if you are just sensible about where to apply.
if you can get AAA at A2 you don't need the 6 year course (they're very competitive too). Are you eligible for any widening participation schemes through your local uni/ Leeds etc? they give reduced offers for the 5 year courses if you match certain criteria.
Reply 3071
have been looking round and a few unis have slightly changed their criteria. UCL are now looking at AS scores to see how people have progressed from gcses-great if your gcses were lower and your AS scores are high, not so great if your AS scores are lower.
doublecheck any unis you're interested in. I know they are updating the info on here about it under the medicine faqs pages ( well worth a read)
Hey, at gcse i got 4 A8s and 7 As, and I want to do medicine, at AS im hoping to get 3 As, a B and a C, but I don't do biology so obviously I'll only apply to universities who don't requrire biology, but will that be ok? Like if i get 2 As, 2 Bs, and a C. Im so scared though, because i dont think i';ll get an offer. and i dont't want to wait a year, because I want to carry on with education rather than taking a break.... advice please.
Original post by humma.andleeb
Hey, at gcse i got 4 A8s and 7 As, and I want to do medicine, at AS im hoping to get 3 As, a B and a C, but I don't do biology so obviously I'll only apply to universities who don't requrire biology, but will that be ok? Like if i get 2 As, 2 Bs, and a C. Im so scared though, because i dont think i';ll get an offer. and i dont't want to wait a year, because I want to carry on with education rather than taking a break.... advice please.

I think as long as you're predicted AAA for A2 and you're applying to AAA universities, it should be alright? Though I'm sure people with AAB or ABB have gotten in - it depends on other things, e.g. extra-curricular, work experience, UKCAT/BMAT :smile:

I haven't applied yet so I could be spouting a load of nonsense though! :u:
Reply 3074
Hey, at gcse i got 4 A*s and 7 As, and I want to do medicine, at AS im hoping to get 3 As, a B and a C, but I don't do biology so obviously I'll only apply to universities who don't requrire biology, but will that be ok? Like if i get 2 As, 2 Bs, and a C. Im so scared though, because i dont think i';ll get an offer. and i dont't want to wait a year, because I want to carry on with education rather than taking a break.... advice please.

You're GCSE's are good and most unis tend not to look too much at AS grades as long as your predictions for A-level are good (AAA or above).
Obviously try to do the best you can at AS but also get going on the work experience and volunteering too because that plays a huge part in deciding who gets offers.
Remember that medicine is hugely competitive so nothing you can do guarentees you a place. It's a matter of ticking as many boxes as you can. Good Luck.
Reply 3075

ucl has started to look at AS grades but 3 As at AS would be enough even for them. Taking extra ones to A2 doesn't seem to help at all so are you dropping 2?
your gcses are great-Cardiff, Birm, Oxbridge,Kings and some Scottish unis have high GCSE cut-offs (sorry-don't know much about Scottish ones/ Oxbridge) so make sure you look into them. and if you get a good ukcat, there are others that shortlist based on that.
in the past most unis haven't seemed very bothered by AS results.
Don't be scared-just make sure your pers state/reference covers what the unis want-Lots of uni websites list exactly what they're looking for and there are books and websites to help you. Some even list what your referee should include. pm me if I can help and DON'T PANIC.
Reply 3076
Hey guys, just finished my AS exams and I was wondering what kind of scores people who apply to Cambridge should have reasonably? My subjects are Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics, and was thinking if I have around 270/300 for each subject, is it enough to fit Cambridge's standards? Or are they really looking for those with say 290+/300? Thanks! :smile: My GCSE's are 8A*'s and 2A's if it helps
Reply 3077
Hey Guys, I was wondering...I got 2 A Stars and 6 A's at GCSE level and realsitically am aiming for AAbb minimum this summer at AS level.....would this be enough to get me an offer from a uni for medicine? Both my elder sister and brother are qualified docs from Birmingham Uni...and what do I do if I get no offers? Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks
Original post by asif123
Hey Guys, I was wondering...I got 2 A Stars and 6 A's at GCSE level and realsitically am aiming for AAbb minimum this summer at AS level.....would this be enough to get me an offer from a uni for medicine? Both my elder sister and brother are qualified docs from Birmingham Uni...and what do I do if I get no offers? Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks

Hello.

First of all nothing guarantees you an offer. Lots of people with ridiculously high grades and seemingly amazing personal statements get rejected. And every year lots of people with the bare minimum get in.

As long as you meet the following requirements:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

Then you are eligible to apply and could get an offer. It is impossible to tell how likely you are to succeed. Getting a place is dependent on a number of factors such as UKCAT, extra curriculars and work experience not to mention your interview.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3079
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Hello.

First of all nothing guarantees you an offer. Lots of people with ridiculously high grades and seemingly amazing personal statements get rejected. And every year lots of people with the bare minimum get in.

As long as you meet the following requirements:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

Then you are eligible to apply and could get an offer. It is impossible to tell how likely you are to succeed. Getting a place is dependent on a number of factors such as UKCAT, extra curriculars and work experience not to mention your interview.

Thank you...much appreciated

Latest

Trending

Trending