The Student Room Group

Upcoming Edexcel AS Biology: Unit 2 exam on 26 May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moiiu
So you personally know the 28,000 odd students who do Biology? The fact that many biologists on TSR or at your school obtained an answer doesn't make it right.

Now that i have seen the June 2009 paper, my opinion has tended slightly towards the cell wall answer (see previous post) - however, your logic doesn't make sense.

But you're saying that the diagram was already labelled "cell wall"? Well it wasn't, otherwise why would almost everybody be stupid enough to say another part of the cell was also the cell wall?
Reply 281
1 mark guys... :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 282
How about we all work together to think of all the 80 marks so we can estimate our marks and maybe grades?

Ok, where does mitosis occur Q = 1
Captive breeding/reintroduce = 7
Golgi apparatus/rER = 7
Difference between Golgi apparatus and rER = 3 ?
Telophase = 3 ?
Label 2 parts = 2
Domain = 2 ?
First Q - endemic = 2

... ah helppp!

ohh graph interpretation = 3
and some underneath Qs...?

Oh last 2 mark question on which one reliable
2 mark Q about overlapping results

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 283
dog breeds p n q, dnt remember the marks
the behavioural mcq
then the first whole species question, guess that question was for 5
the blastocyst question
label n draw 2 in prokaryotic cell, 4 marks maybe
colour crossing over regions
taped lid, how to put in bacteria n 37 temperature, 3 separate questions
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 284
Original post by zain6461
dog breeds p n q, dnt remember the marks
the behavioural mcq
then the first whole species question, guess that question was for 5

dog breeds = 6
Behavioural Q = 1 (ans sleeping in the day time or something?)
Yup included the endemic q

34 + 7 = 41 marks counted

I remeber the aseptic technique Q = 2/3 marks?
Why taped like this... 2 marks
37 temperature = 2 marks

the blastocyst question = 2 marks?
colour crossing over regions = 1 mark
---
Total 50/51
(edited 12 years ago)
To be fair, it was definitely labelled cell membrane not cell wall.
I know this site isn't based on UMS and how they're converted, but if you're looking for a rough estimation of what you needed for an A in this exam, for example, then this is a good site to use as a decent guideline:

http://www.conquercollege.com/gradecalc/index.php

For example, in the "Score" column, put your percentage for your coursework. Then in the second column, type 20% since the coursework is worth 20% of your overall grade.
Then if you know what you got in the Unit 1 exam in January, fill in the same detail on the row underneath i.e. percentage score of your UMS, then on the right column type 40%.

e.g. with mine
(coursework was 40/40): 100 --> 20
(Jan exam was 108/120): 90 --> 40

Then, scroll down and adjust the grade boundaries so that you can say A* = 90, A = 80 ... etc.

Then click "Calculate!" to see roughly what you needed for this exam percentage-wise to get the grade you want/need

e.g. with mine
A* = 85% (i.e. roughly 68/80)
A = 60% (i.e. roughly 48/60)
B = 35% (i.e. roughly 28/80)

i KNOW it works with percentages and not UMS but it you may find it helpful and may put your mind at ease :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 287
Original post by jessica.thomas
Ah yes thank you I do now! :biggrin:

Was the answer stem cells for mitosis ???
Reply 288
ok it seems like everyone's arguing whether it was cell wall or slimy capsule !!
In the diagram it was clearly labelled as CELL MEMBRANE.. when we have to differentiate whether it is a slimy layer or cell wall, we have to count from the inside ALWAYS.
The inner membrane was labelled cell membrane, so therefore the outer membrane would be CELL WALL.. if it was slimy capsule there would be 3 membranes !
Reply 289
okay what did you guys do for the coloured thing.. i mean the colour of the chromosome after crossing over ???
Reply 290
Original post by Luckyk
Its ok stem cells is right the others were dead cells so mitosis couldnt occur

that feels good to hear :biggrin:
Original post by aqua05
okay what did you guys do for the coloured thing.. i mean the colour of the chromosome after crossing over ???

Ended up looking like the top part :smile: with only some of the top chromosome being switched colours
Reply 292
Original post by Charlesworth

Ended up looking like the top part :smile: with only some of the top chromosome being switched colours

does it matter where we coloured in the chromatids??? i did mine on the bottom half??

was a good paper overall though i thought, was a bit too many higher mark questions for topics you couldn't really go into substantial detail about. Was way better than unit 1 anyway! :smile: :smile::smile:
Original post by aqua05
ok it seems like everyone's arguing whether it was cell wall or slimy capsule !!
In the diagram it was clearly labelled as CELL MEMBRANE.. when we have to differentiate whether it is a slimy layer or cell wall, we have to count from the inside ALWAYS.
The inner membrane was labelled cell membrane, so therefore the outer membrane would be CELL WALL.. if it was slimy capsule there would be 3 membranes !

My theory precisely!
Reply 294

Oh, I ended up getting a strip of white on the left one and a strip of colour on the right one :/
Reply 295
Original post by britchick
I know this site isn't based on UMS and how they're converted, but if you're looking for a rough estimation of what you needed for an A in this exam, for example, then this is a good site to use as a decent guideline:

http://www.conquercollege.com/gradecalc/index.php

For example, in the "Score" column, put your percentage for your coursework. Then in the second column, type 20% since the coursework is worth 20% of your overall grade.
Then if you know what you got in the Unit 1 exam in January, fill in the same detail on the row underneath i.e. percentage score of your UMS, then on the right column type 40%.

e.g. with mine
(coursework was 40/40): 100 --> 20
(Jan exam was 108/120): 90 --> 40

Then, scroll down and adjust the grade boundaries so that you can say A* = 90, A = 80 ... etc.

Then click "Calculate!" to see roughly what you needed for this exam percentage-wise to get the grade you want/need

e.g. with mine
A* = 85% (i.e. roughly 68/80)
A = 60% (i.e. roughly 48/60)
B = 35% (i.e. roughly 28/80)

i KNOW it works with percentages and not UMS but it you may find it helpful and may put your mind at ease :smile:

your teachers told you your cwk mark?? my teachers refused to tell us as he said it can be changed a lot when moderated :frown:
Original post by Cleoleo
your teachers told you your cwk mark?? my teachers refused to tell us as he said it can be changed a lot when moderated :frown:

Indeed, if the school's marking is off, moderators will lower everyone's mark accordingly, and unless you get individual results of each module in August, you'll never know about it. My bio teacher told us of how in one school each student lost 5 marks in Unit 3 (coursework).
Reply 297

Thankss :smile:
& YAAAAY i did that :smile::blow::evilbanana:
Reply 298
Original post by britchick
But you're saying that the diagram was already labelled "cell wall"? Well it wasn't, otherwise why would almost everybody be stupid enough to say another part of the cell was also the cell wall?

ermm.. correct me if i'm wrong, but the diagram was labelled cell surface membrane, not cell wall.. hence, cell wall would be the correct answer :s-smilie:
Original post by crunchy12
ermm.. correct me if i'm wrong, but the diagram was labelled cell surface membrane, not cell wall.. hence, cell wall would be the correct answer :s-smilie:

I know, but someone else said it was already labelled with "cell wall", but I was arguing that it was already labelled "cell surface membrane" i.e. the answer was "cell wall". I'm agreeing with you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending