The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Music 2011

Hey Guys :smile: I've seen a few A2 threads floating around, and I saw and AS one from last year, so I thought we could share notes for the set works this year and listening tips - that kind of thing :smile:

What do you think? :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ItsaNameAndIUseIt
Hey Guys :smile: I've seen a few AS threads floating around, and I saw and AS one from last year, so I thought we could share notes for the set works this year and Listening tips - that kind of thing :smile:

How do you feel about this exam? Problems, etc.
Original post by Fenhemn
How do you feel about this exam? Problems, etc.

Not very good tbh!

I just find it really hard to remember things, and when I do, I find it hard to get all my information down in a legible way! :tongue:
Having to memorise everything is frustrating, but at least for A2 you get the scores... so if your mind draws a blank you can just do a quick analysis of the the piece on the things you've been specifically asked about... :smile:

My main problemo is the melodic dictation... For me it's completely down to luck as to how well I do... I'll have a fab day when my musical ear is on form and everything just falls into place... and days where I can't even work out the rhythm :eek:

Anybody know of any amazing revision resources for the set works? I want to try and use as many different resources so I don't get too bored of my notes :wink:

What did people make of this years composition briefs/technical studies??
Reply 4
As long as Edexcel don't mess about with my performance grade like they did last year, and the comparison question (bane of my life) isn't too horrible, I'm reasonably confident for this exam.

The chorale and bassline technicals weren't bad, I thought. Finished with plenty of time to spare, even after meticulously checking for every bloody consecutive between every note.

As a class, we made a table of relevant points for the instrumental pieces, which is quite useful, especially for bits which aren't easily seen in the score.
Original post by The_Liberal_Ginger
Having to memorise everything is frustrating, but at least for A2 you get the scores... so if your mind draws a blank you can just do a quick analysis of the the piece on the things you've been specifically asked about... :smile:

My main problemo is the melodic dictation... For me it's completely down to luck as to how well I do... I'll have a fab day when my musical ear is on form and everything just falls into place... and days where I can't even work out the rhythm :eek:

Anybody know of any amazing revision resources for the set works? I want to try and use as many different resources so I don't get too bored of my notes :wink:

I just use the Edexcel Study guide and that little A2 book that help with writing essays :smile:

I know what you mean with melodic dictation! I can only ever do it if it isn't chromatic! I fail at chromaticism! :frown:

I found the technical study fine, but my composition was an actual mess! :tongue: definitely not my strong point! :s-smilie:

I'm so glad we get the scores, it'll make it much easier. It still seems like a but of a memory test though!

What sources are you using to revise? :smile:

Good luck everyone! :biggrin:
I think I just found my new favourite thread....

Anyone else find applied waaay easier than instrumental? Because at least for applied you can pretty much work out what the question will be for each work. Feels horribly contrived, but easier to prepare for :/
Original post by The_Liberal_Ginger

BIG LOVE for this thread! :P
The melodic dictation is an absolute nightmare! I find it so tough. I think the best way to do it is to look for patterns and sequences in the bars before.....
I found the composition briefs okay, because some of them were quite broad. I did the ice dance one, and wrote a salsa/mambo piece which was niceeee :smile:
I'm not sure where we can find more resources though :s-smilie: I've been looking for a while now!
Reply 8
If you go to the edexcel site and go to GCE Music post-2008 there's some brilliant PDF files that have details on ALL the set works.

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/music/music/Pages/default.aspx

Go to 'Teacher Support Materials' and it's all there.
Reply 9
Original post by ChopinNocturne

Anyone else find applied waaay easier than instrumental? Because at least for applied you can pretty much work out what the question will be for each work. Feels horribly contrived, but easier to prepare for :/

Really? I get what you mean for section b but i'm struggling making enough points to get the marks. I find section C so much easier as there is so much more to talk about.

What are the questions likely to be for section B? :frown:
Original post by rfoot
As long as Edexcel don't mess about with my performance grade like they did last year, and the comparison question (bane of my life) isn't too horrible, I'm reasonably confident for this exam.

The chorale and bassline technicals weren't bad, I thought. Finished with plenty of time to spare, even after meticulously checking for every bloody consecutive between every note.

As a class, we made a table of relevant points for the instrumental pieces, which is quite useful, especially for bits which aren't easily seen in the score.

My performance mark went down by 10 marks last year :frown: Hoping this won't happen again!

Does anyone know for the comparison questions do they have to ask an entire piece e.g "Compare the Shostakovich Prelude and Fugue with the Haydn and the Brahms in terms of blah."
Or are they more likely to ask them separately e.g "Compare the Shostakovich Fugue with the Bach Gigue and Brahms in terms of blah."
Reply 11
I've been told all year that we'll be comparing 3 full pieces at a time. If it turns out to be anything other than that I'll be less than pleased.

I'd like to know these applied music question speculations as well? Could be very useful because I also struggle with getting enough content. The specification says '9 well illustrated points' to get full marks for each applied music question, but my definition of 'well illustrated' and my teachers definition always differ.

Anybody else struggling with composer identification?
Original post by Rebuddle
I've been told all year that we'll be comparing 3 full pieces at a time. If it turns out to be anything other than that I'll be less than pleased.

I'd like to know these applied music question speculations as well? Could be very useful because I also struggle with getting enough content. The specification says '9 well illustrated points' to get full marks for each applied music question, but my definition of 'well illustrated' and my teachers definition always differ.

Anybody else struggling with composer identification?

I'd say that a 'well illustrated' point (applied) would be something along the lines of:

"From bar 78, the piece becomes strictly homorhythmic, during which the whole orchestra stamps out the percussion patterns in dissonant block chords. This strict form reflects the anger and violence of the bleak atmosphere that is shown on screen, making the music suitably fitted to its purpose."

...Because it specifies a bar number, it then goes on to use a buzzword (homorhythmic), it then explains what happens during the section they have stated, and then they link it to its intended purpose (a film)

For composer identification, I've made a little post-it time line and stuck it on the wall in front of my desk (its now the first thing i see when I look up whilst revising!) Its like this:

BAROQUE 1600-1750
(BACH, PURCELL, HANDEL, VIVALDI, CORELLI)

-Terraced dynamics
-Use of the harpsichord
-Circle of fifths
-No clarinets and a lack of brass
-Textures are largely contrapuntal

And I have a post-it like that for Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Modern. I now just need to focus on the key features of each composer, not just style....Hopefully it will work!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The Cello Ninja
My performance mark went down by 10 marks last year :frown: Hoping this won't happen again!

Does anyone know for the comparison questions do they have to ask an entire piece e.g "Compare the Shostakovich Prelude and Fugue with the Haydn and the Brahms in terms of blah."
Or are they more likely to ask them separately e.g "Compare the Shostakovich Fugue with the Bach Gigue and Brahms in terms of blah."

Holbourne Pavane "The image of melancholy" and Galliard "Ecce quam bonum"
J.S Bach Partita No.4 in D: Sarabande and Gigue
Four as recorded by the Miles Davis Quintet

"Compare and contrast the use of textures in the pieces listed above" (36)

Thats a standard format for a question, I think.
Original post by rhianon818
Really? I get what you mean for section b but i'm struggling making enough points to get the marks. I find section C so much easier as there is so much more to talk about.

What are the questions likely to be for section B? :frown:

They're all to do with like, why the music was used for what it was (like, how it applies - I figured out the other day that was why it's called applied, and I was happy :biggrin:)

So a question would be something like 'Bach's Cantata 'ich elender mensch' was intended for performance in the course of a Lutheran service in an important German church. What aspects of the work indicate it's origins?' (so basically, why would this have been used in the Lutheran church?)

And the points would be (this is taken from the mark scheme):

(performance forces)
- Quite large for a church, indicating wealth, i.e. strings, oboes and trumpets as well as an organ continuo, SATB chorus and vocal soloist.

-Technical difficulties of both choral and instrumental writing indicate presence of professional musicians.

(Genre)
- Cantata, closely linked to the theme of the day (not entirely sure what this means!)

- Major role of choral, for Congregational use

- German language (as opposed to Latin)

(Structure)
- Multi movenemt work.

- Besides choral, use of full range or baroque styles and techniques (recitative to make the message clear, Aria for reflection of the religious theme, Large-scale chorus to set tone featuring ritornello structure, fugal elements and canon on cantus firmus (another choral melody used in the final movement of the cantata - not included in mvmts 1-4))

It says aswell, that points should be illustrated with examples from the music. I hope that helps! :smile:
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
I'd say that a 'well illustrated' point (applied) would be something along the lines of:

"From bar 78, the piece becomes strictly homorhythmic, during which the whole orchestra stamps out the percussion patterns in dissonant block chords. This strict form reflects the anger and violence of the bleak atmosphere that is shown on screen, making the music suitably fitted to its purpose."

...Because it specifies a bar number, it then goes on to use a buzzword (homorhythmic), it then explains what happens during the section they have stated, and then they link it to its intended purpose (a film)

For composer identification, I've made a little post-it time line and stuck it on the wall in front of my desk (its now the first thing i see when I look up whilst revising!) Its like this:

BAROQUE 1600-1750
(BACH, PURCELL, HANDEL, VIVALDI, CORELLI)

-Terraced dynamics
-Use of the harpsichord
-Circle of fifths
-No clarinets and a lack of brass
-Textures are largely contrapuntal

And I have a post-it like that for Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Modern. I now just need to focus on the key features of each composer, not just style....Hopefully it will work!

This is such a good idea! I keep getting caught out with like, the later ends of the periods! Especially late romantic stuff, I'm so easily tricked! :redface:
Original post by Fenhemn
If you go to the edexcel site and go to GCE Music post-2008 there's some brilliant PDF files that have details on ALL the set works.

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/music/music/Pages/default.aspx

Go to 'Teacher Support Materials' and it's all there.

Thanks for posting! :biggrin:
Original post by ChopinNocturne

Applied is so much nicer for me! I get so confused when I'm comparing, I get really easily muddled up! :frown:
Reply 18
Instrumental is the easiest for me. My class has been told that you don't actually have to directly compare the pieces, so we just write about the textures in one piece, then move on to the next one, instead of saying "There is use of homorhythms in the Brahms in bar 22, whereas in the Shotakovich...". So much easier to think about what you're doing then.
Original post by rfoot
Instrumental is the easiest for me. My class has been told that you don't actually have to directly compare the pieces, so we just write about the textures in one piece, then move on to the next one, instead of saying "There is use of homorhythms in the Brahms in bar 22, whereas in the Shotakovich...". So much easier to think about what you're doing then.

Really?! I think I heard that somewhere too, but it just seemed so odd so I kind of dismissed it... but when you read the A2 revision guide, they are laid out like that really, thinking about it. What an odd way of doing it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending