The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1760
Original post by rachelll=)
Yeah I think I'm going to have to. I'm just worried they will put me in a en-suite because of it. Although I have an unconditional so will get my accommodation before everyone else, so if that happened I suppose I could always ring up and say that I can't afford en-suite because me loan doesn't cover it (which is true).

And I find I can generally talk with guys on an intellectual level. But I am also a very blunt person, which guys don't mind, but girls can mistake it for being rude.

I'm sure they have mixed yr. I have an unconditional also. On a gap year too :smile: there's a box at the bottom where you can say things like cos is an issue or you want a flat shared between 6 etc

very few of my guy friends can but i do have quite a few sides to me. Blunt girls are :coma: lol. But i can appreciate the variation in ladies :tongue:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Yes I am so confused haha. It's just what I seem to remember (I may be wrong) It that all the en-suites were mixed sex (which I don't want becasue I would rather have the extra cash) and the shared bathrooms being single sex.

What I ideally want is a big flat (think there were flats of 10), shared bathroom and mixed sex. I just don't know if that is even an option :dontknow:

I'm fairly sure you can get mixed sex and shared bathroom - just put yes on the mixed thing :yep: I don't think you can control how big a flat you're put in though I suppose you could perhaps ask to be in a large flat under the extra preferences box. You could also put that you don't want en-suite under the preferences bit.
Original post by dmz
I'm sure they have mixed yr. I have an unconditional also. On a gap year too :smile: there's a box at the bottom where you can say things like cos is an issue or you want a flat shared between 6 etc

very few of my guy friends can but i do have quite a few sides to me. Blunt girls are :coma: lol. But i can appreciate the variation in ladies :tongue:

Ahhh if you're on a gap year too you must be just as eager as me to get to uni :smile: So excited now :biggrin: And is this box at the end of the fist page of yes/no questions or later on? I wasn't sure if that box was for disabilities. I've really managed to confuse myself haha.

And I know what you mean, a lot of guys try to be 'lads' and wont have a proper conversation with you. Until you just tell them to stop being a dick haha. And yeah I don't really understand the whole thing in most girls where they will say something and mean another or bend the truth and play silly games. Seems so pointless and stupid to me.
Reply 1763
Ahhh if you're on a gap year too you must be just as eager as me to get to uni :smile: So excited now :biggrin: And is this box at the end of the fist page of yes/no questions or later on? I wasn't sure if that box was for disabilities. I've really managed to confuse myself haha.

And I know what you mean, a lot of guys try to be 'lads' and wont have a proper conversation with you. Until you just tell them to stop being a dick haha. And yeah I don't really understand the whole thing in most girls where they will say something and mean another or bend the truth and play silly games. Seems so pointless and stupid to me.

so so much, been counting down, 15more weeks. The box is at the very end. Lol. Just take it a step at a time :tongue:

i just play along really lol and let my daft side out. Yea things like that's put me out of the relationship game. It's all so stressful and I'm at the stage where I'm just not bothered. Just have good guy and girl friends and a way to sort myself out when needed Haha

As DMZ says, put that you want to be in a large flat in the "other" bit when you give your preferences for important features. And make sure you score en suite low. I can't remember if the non en suite flats at Oxley are single sex or mixed but I know we've never had any complaints so even if they are single, everyone must mix between the flats. I suspect there's probably some single and some mixed but I'm not at work so can't check.
Can somebody give me their view on Devonshire House please?

I haven't yet applied for my accommodation, but Devonshire is looking like my favourite at the moment. I want to know how sociable it is compared to the others.

Also in the running is North Hill Court - but I was concerned by the fact that you only share a kitchen with 3 or 4 people.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by accomoffice
As DMZ says, put that you want to be in a large flat in the "other" bit when you give your preferences for important features. And make sure you score en suite low. I can't remember if the non en suite flats at Oxley are single sex or mixed but I know we've never had any complaints so even if they are single, everyone must mix between the flats. I suspect there's probably some single and some mixed but I'm not at work so can't check.

Hi! I was just wondering, are the bathrooms all mixed sex as well? Like if you end up in a hall where there's 5 of you sharing 1 bathroom? Thanks!
Original post by alexpower
Hi! I was just wondering, are the bathrooms all mixed sex as well? Like if you end up in a hall where there's 5 of you sharing 1 bathroom? Thanks!

If you're in somewhere like Lupton or Montague Burton for example where there's 5 people sharing a flat, there's just the one bathroom so if it's a mixed gender flat, then the bathroom will be mixed. But we have single sex flats at all the residences so if you don't fancy sharing a bathroom with the opposite sex, ask for a single sex flat. There'll be plenty of people of the opposite gender in the block so it's not going to be like you're in a monastery/convent.
Somewhere like Bodington catered, which is long corridors, there tends to be girls' bathrooms and boys' bathrooms.
Reply 1768
Anyone for Oxley?
Original post by -Christabel-
Happy birthday :smile: , theres no need to apologize lol, I hope u had a good time, how did u celebrate ur 18th? I recently turned 18 too, the day before the royal wedding was my bday so I got a loongg bday weekend :biggrin: i had a barbecue round my house and I went paintballing the day before the barbecue, my last childish act before I was officially an adult lol :rolleyes: My friends and I are saving the clubbing for after exams as something to look forward to when this is finally all over

I'm gonna leave my choice as hp for now, do my exams, then after when I have a bit more time I'll reconsider make sure I make the right choice, and I'll keep u posted when I do :smile:

Thank you :smile: Happy Birthday to you also! Wow that sounds so fun, I've never been paintballing before it looks like so much fun though :biggrin:! I went to London with my best friend for 3 days then had a joint party with my friend as her birthday is the same date as mine then we went clubbing! That was my last bit of fun until the 23rd of June and now its revision, revision, revision!

Yeah that's a good choice, you have until the 31st of July to change it if you like! Hope your revision is going well :smile: xx
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
Nah. Was a patient. :tongue: And a friend who came with her was also a first year at Leeds but I've forgotten which halls she was staying in - James Baillie I think? They both echoed that it's more about the people you end up with and how much effort you put in to get involved. Because Leodis is larger though, unlike other halls she mentioned you don't get to know everyone whereas it's still friendly and you make your own little communities. The social scene is apparently active just like everywhere else in Leeds.

Okay cheers for that :biggrin:
Original post by PhilosophyIsMyGame
Thank you :smile: Happy Birthday to you also! Wow that sounds so fun, I've never been paintballing before it looks like so much fun though :biggrin:! I went to London with my best friend for 3 days then had a joint party with my friend as her birthday is the same date as mine then we went clubbing! That was my last bit of fun until the 23rd of June and now its revision, revision, revision!

Yeah that's a good choice, you have until the 31st of July to change it if you like! Hope your revision is going well :smile: xx

thank you, and hahaha paintballing is good fun but can be painful, I got shot at close range a few times and the bruises have only just began to fade :K: Sounds like you had fun too, living it up in London! :rolleyes:

Revision is kinda doing my head in, I really can't wait until I'm done so I can just kick back and relax for a bit lol, but that aside its going okay; my brother recently told me that a good way to revise is to read over your notes, condense them then type them out, from memory, over and over again, and lo and behold this method actually works, its helping me quite a bit with my chemistry, it can be a little time consuming but it'll be worth it :biggrin: in the end. Hows your revision going? x
Reply 1772
thank you, and hahaha paintballing is good fun but can be painful, I got shot at close range a few times and the bruises have only just began to fade :K: Sounds like you had fun too, living it up in London! :rolleyes:

Revision is kinda doing my head in, I really can't wait until I'm done so I can just kick back and relax for a bit lol, but that aside its going okay; my brother recently told me that a good way to revise is to read over your notes, condense them then type them out, from memory, over and over again, and lo and behold this method actually works, its helping me quite a bit with my chemistry, it can be a little time consuming but it'll be worth it :biggrin: in the end. Hows your revision going? x

I'm trying to organise one for 1st July :biggrin: my first time, hope i don't get shot down there lol
Original post by dmz
I'm trying to organise one for 1st July :biggrin: my first time, hope i don't get shot down there lol

haha yh it wouldn't be too pleasant, if I'm honest the games are much better after you get shot, because before that you're really scared about how much its gonna hurt, then after you get shot you realise its not too painful and you can get in the game more :wink:

oh beware of little kids, the person who shot me was a little kid, at first I didnt reaction 2 him cos he was so small so I thought he was harmless, until he started shooting me, I was soo shocked that I dropped my gun lol and so was just on the floor trying to pick it up whilst he was still shooting me

after the game he had the cheek to come up 2 me to shake my hand lol, he seemed a little too chuffed with himself if you ask me, but its all good cos when I finally managed to pick up my gun I shot him back :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)

Hhaha, yeah I've heard that oh well it's all part of the fun anyway :biggrin:! Hopefully you weren't bruised too much! Yeah London was amazing i went to see Wizard of Oz as well it was amazing, i highly recommend it haha!

Yeah i know what you mean i really just want it to be over and done with another month and it will all be over :biggrin: i hope all this hard work pays off i'll die if i didn't get in to Leeds! Whats your insurance?
Oh that sounds really good, i have so many techniques and i use them with different bits of my revision :smile: im going to try that though! I dont six hours today it felt really good i felt like i learned a lot too :smile: xx
Reply 1775
haha yh it wouldn't be too pleasant, if I'm honest the games are much better after you get shot, because before that you're really scared about how much its gonna hurt, then after you get shot you realise its not too painful and you can get in the game more :wink:

oh beware of little kids, the person who shot me was a little kid, at first I didnt reaction 2 him cos he was so small so I thought he was harmless, until he started shooting me, I was soo shocked that I dropped my gun lol and so was just on the floor trying to pick it up whilst he was still shooting me

after the game he had the cheek to come up 2 me to shake my hand lol, he seemed a little too chuffed with himself if you ask me, but its all good cos when I finally managed to pick up my gun I shot him back :colone:

Haha i know what you mean. Might have to wear one of those armless jackets. Hopefully I'm quick enough not to get hit, haha

Haha Thanks for the warning, everyone's going down! Sounds like you took a lot of hit then lol

should have shot him in the face, just messing don't do that :laugh: just realised you're a girl btw :tongue:
Original post by PhilosophyIsMyGame
Hhaha, yeah I've heard that oh well it's all part of the fun anyway :biggrin:! Hopefully you weren't bruised too much! Yeah London was amazing i went to see Wizard of Oz as well it was amazing, i highly recommend it haha!

Yeah i know what you mean i really just want it to be over and done with another month and it will all be over :biggrin: i hope all this hard work pays off i'll die if i didn't get in to Leeds! Whats your insurance?
Oh that sounds really good, i have so many techniques and i use them with different bits of my revision :smile: im going to try that though! I dont six hours today it felt really good i felt like i learned a lot too :smile: xx

cool, going to the theater is another thing on my summer to-do list :rolleyes:, I just might check out Wizard of Oz thanks to you.....lol u have raised expectations now I hope its good :tongue:

hmm I'd b gutted too if I didn't get into leeds, we need to make sure that doesn't happen :^_^:, and get you with your 6 hours revision :rolleyes:...2day I'm gonna kick my revision up a notch, then I'm gonna come back on here and tell you how much I got done cos I feel like I'm slacking a bit, if I know I'm gonna have to post my revision hours up on here, I wouldn't want to embarrass myself with some shambolically low number so it should motivate me to work harder :biggrin:

my insurance is biomed at Southampton University, it had a nice campus and all but I didn't like the town as much as I did Leeds :smile: x
Original post by dmz
Haha i know what you mean. Might have to wear one of those armless jackets. Hopefully I'm quick enough not to get hit, haha

Haha Thanks for the warning, everyone's going down! Sounds like you took a lot of hit then lol

should have shot him in the face, just messing don't do that :laugh: just realised you're a girl btw :tongue:

lol I can't vouch for all paintballing companies but if you book with delta force they will give you padded armor and overalls, no armless jacket for you :dontknow:

no problemo :tongue:, yh that little kid was the cause for all but one of my bruises :s-smilie: and haha shooting him in the face wouldn't have done much cos everyone has to wear full helmets and head shots don't count (in terms of scoring against the other team)

and haha what gave it away, all the talk about prom dresses or me talking bout attending a girls school since y7 :tongue:
Reply 1778
lol I can't vouch for all paintballing companies but if you book with delta force they will give you padded armor and overalls, no armless jacket for you :dontknow:

no problemo :tongue:, yh that little kid was the cause for all but one of my bruises :s-smilie: and haha shooting him in the face wouldn't have done much cos everyone has to wear full helmets and head shots don't count (in terms of scoring against the other team)

and haha what gave it away, all the talk about prom dresses or me talking bout attending a girls school since y7 :tongue:

Haha just in case, I'm too delicate to get bruised :tongue:, I'm not really

Oh right, i guess that's good. About how many do you have on a team?

Well yea that was quite a clue except i didn't notice. I'm a lazy reader :tongue:. I just realised your username is feminine, it's usually Chris that comes across to me :tongue:
I booked my room in The Plaza due to its location and it looks like one of the best choices, however i've been put in a room with a fourth year, a third year and two post grads, i'm a first year and i'm kind of worried about it with them all being older than me, has anyone else had this?

Latest