The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unbiased Opinion

Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Whoa, Edexcel take themselves seriously! Hope it went ok though. :p:

It's because Edexcel are international so others could be taking the same exam after people here in the UK so discussion is not allowed :biggrin:
Original post by swiftylol
It's because Edexcel are international so others could be taking the same exam after people here in the UK so discussion is not allowed :biggrin:

Oh right, fair play to Edexcel. I'm on Edexcel for Philo and Ethics and the layout is different so I almost forgot to write my candidate number and the centre number, but thank God the invigilator reminded me. Hopefully that's not foreshadowing any failure. :awesome:

Any more exams?
Reply 2042
Has someone put an unoffial markscheme for this exam??????????????????? Plz tell me were it is!!!!!!!! So stressed out
Heh, I was so going to ask for a spare copy of the exam but I felt soo tired I just couldnt be bothered.

Looking back at it, maybe I should have done just that :emo:
Original post by EffKayy
OH EDEXCEL, =(
un2 HUH..
bad times lol

How was psychology?
Original post by swiftylol
How was psychology?

I didn't resit psy lol.
Doing psya2 on the 7th though.
on the question about how long the cell cycle takes would it not be 312 min since mitosis produces 2 cells each time it occurs
each cell cycle =78 min
???????
Reply 2047
For the pesticide one when it said about evaporation from the lake I wrote that if the water is evaporating then the concentration of pesticides will increase as they don't evaporate with the water.
Anyone else wrote this?

I couldn't remember the starch stuff which annoyed me as I knew it was my bad topic.
I wrote its insoluble in water and compact etc but non of that really answered the question did it?
Reply 2048
Original post by Jeshiii
For the pesticide one when it said about evaporation from the lake I wrote that if the water is evaporating then the concentration of pesticides will increase as they don't evaporate with the water.
Anyone else wrote this?

I couldn't remember the starch stuff which annoyed me as I knew it was my bad topic.
I wrote its insoluble in water and compact etc but non of that really answered the question did it?

I put the same thing for the pesticides question.

For the starch I think you had to put it was insoluble so it will not affect water potential of the cell. It won't lower w.p. so excess water will not be taken in by osmosis and the cell will not burst.
What was the answer to the courtship question.. asking about different pitches of birds?
Original post by Jeshiii
Anyone else wrote this?

I said about the concentration increasing too.
What was the starch question again?
Reply 2051
Original post by parallal
I put the same thing for the pesticides question.

For the starch I think you had to put it was insoluble so it will not affect water potential of the cell. It won't lower w.p. so excess water will not be taken in by osmosis and the cell will not burst.

I did the same thing as you and went up to "water potential gradient not affected" The reason I stopped there is because the creature had a cell wall. Burst?! but i think reference had to be made to osmosis. I said "starch insoluble, doesnt lower water potential, water potential gradient not affected" and stopped there. thats why it was a tricky question. you had to work out what was going on so i just wrote that and stopped...
Original post by xgoldenx
What was the answer to the courtship question.. asking about different pitches of birds?

Only same species will recognise the call, then elaborated and talked more about
the female receptive stage and female recnogising male etc.
Original post by broken_rose
I said about the concentration increasing too.
What was the starch question again?

Starch is insoluble(1)
so will not be affected by osmosis (1)
Original post by EffKayy
Only same species will recognise the call, then elaborated and talked more about
the female receptive stage and female recnogising male etc.

Cool.. thats what i wrote too.
Original post by xgoldenx
Cool.. thats what i wrote too.

Sweeeeeet
Original post by jodiedoodles
Somehow I managed to get the percentage increase as 122% ? Stupid thing is, I know how to do percentage increase, I must have just misread the graph. :frown:

what did anyone get for the question about methicillin (i think) and how some kinda enzyme inhibits something...was a little 2 marker...and I didn't even have a clue...

I got something similar for the % increase thing, over 100% anyway or whatever (20 - 9 / 9)* 100 is. :biggrin:

FOr that methicillin one, I wrote something along the lines of it had a similar shape to the monomers and was therefore complementary to the enzyme but other people have said something about competitive inhibitors? To be honest, I don't even remember what the question was. :tongue:
Original post by Introverted moron
I got something similar for the % increase thing, over 100% anyway or whatever (20 - 9 / 9)* 100 is. :biggrin:

FOr that methicillin one, I wrote something along the lines of it had a similar shape to the monomers and was therefore complementary to the enzyme but other people have said something about competitive inhibitors? To be honest, I don't even remember what the question was. :tongue:

Yeah it's a competitive inhibitor which competes for the active site, prevents E-S complexes.
Original post by EffKayy
Yeah it's a competitive inhibitor which competes for the active site, prevents E-S complexes.

Damn.......I wrote that, read the question again and then crossed it out. :redface:
Original post by Introverted moron
Damn.......I wrote that, read the question again and then crossed it out. :redface:

Yeah they can be very synoptic and have questions from other units.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending