The Student Room Group

Upcoming Edexcel AS Biology: Unit 2 exam on 26 May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cleoleo
your teachers told you your cwk mark?? my teachers refused to tell us as he said it can be changed a lot when moderated :frown:

Yeah our head of biology moderated our whole year's before she sent them off, and mine wasn't moderated externally and stayed the same at 40 :smile:
Original post by britchick
Yeah our head of biology moderated our whole year's before she sent them off, and mine wasn't moderated externally and stayed the same at 40 :smile:

If you marks stays the same or not is not dependent on whether it's included in the moderator's sample - it stays the same if the teacher's marking is correct (as represented by the sample).
My teacher said my c/w was easily able to gain 40 marks but she gave my 39 because the examiners may be too harsh n bring it down- her words, not mine
Original post by harcoreage

Original post by harcoreage
Admittedly I put capsule too, it was incredibly unlcear. Could have gone either way but hey ho.

Anyone put Eucaryota as C and Archea as B in the classification Carl Woese question?

I did and it actually makes sense eukaryota can have chlorophyll
Original post by reefataziz

Umm...i don't think the slime capsule is right..that's cuz there was no LABEL for the cell wall..i'm super sure about that..so it's gotta be cell wall..and a the question said that the diagram showed a TYPICAL prokaryotic cell..and typical cells dont have slime capsules, slime capsules are only SOMETIMES present..so yeh

I think edexcel will be generous and put both capsule and cell wall
Original post by aqua05

Original post by aqua05
Was the answer stem cells for mitosis ???

yes the others are all dead cells
Original post by snow leopard
If you marks stays the same or not is not dependent on whether it's included in the moderator's sample - it stays the same if the teacher's marking is correct (as represented by the sample).

"and [my mark] stayed the same at 40 :smile:"
Don't know why you have to be so negative to everybody
"and [my mark] stayed the same at 40 :smile:"
Don't know why you have to be so negative to everybody

LOL, it's like the 100th time you've said you've got 40, we get it already, no one actually cares.

And I wasn't negative. Your statement may have worried people who were under moderation and think that they're mark wasn't safe, as if in the sample - you will get marked down, when everyone is equally affected by moderation.

I quote; 'mine wasn't moderated externally and stayed the same at 40'

Clearly this implies: being in the moderation sample --> mark would have gone down. If anything I reassured people against your false suggestion :smile:
LOL, it's like the 100th time you've said you've got 40, we get it already, no one actually cares.

And I wasn't negative. Your statement may have worried people who were under moderation and think that they're mark wasn't safe, as if in the sample - you will get marked down, when everyone is equally affected by moderation.

I quote; 'mine wasn't moderated externally and stayed the same at 40'

Clearly this implies: being in the moderation sample --> mark would have gone down. If anything I reassured people against your false suggestion :smile:

You're the hardest person I know because of your use of size 7 font.
Reply 309

stop trying to put everybody down, just because you got the easiest question in the paper about the cell wall label wrong... LOL
You're the hardest person I know because of your use of size 7 font.

I'd top your font size but 7 is the max. So I'm just gonna use the colour purple. ppUUUUUUUUUUUrrrRRppleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeE

Purple > All. Therefore I win. *takes a bow* :colondollar:
Original post by josie12
stop trying to put everybody down, just because you got the easiest question in the paper about the cell wall label wrong... LOL

WTF

I TRIED TO PUT EVERYBODY UP BY CORRECTING THE OTHER GIRL'S FALSE SUGGESTION

You all jump in and target on me, clearly because I'm too good for you all, you can't even start your sentences with capital letters, get a job.
Reply 312
WTF

I TRIED TO PUT EVERYBODY UP BY CORRECTING THE OTHER GIRL'S FALSE SUGGESTION

You all jump in and target on me, clearly because I'm too good for you all, you can't even start your sentences with capital letters, get a job.

clearly because you're too good for us all? who do you think you are?
and I've been scrolling through this discussion thread, and you spelt "goodbye" as "good bye". so if you're gonna be a grammar nazi, get yourself to a job centre.
I think that's completely wrong.
-make agar solution
-pipette out bacterial broth
-open lid just enough to allow entry of bacteria
-use aseptic conditions

No!! when adding bacteria

-lawn the bacteria
- evenly
- using aseptic conditions (however the next question asked about the aseptic conditions)

My teacher always says: when adding bacteria you have to lawn!!
its so irritating to come to the Biology thread and see people arguing about petty 1 mark questions. can someone do what they did on the Chemistry Unit 2 thread. write all the questions that came up and the marks allocated to everyone can try and guess what they got =) thanks
Original post by CIE password
No!! when adding bacteria

-lawn the bacteria
- evenly
- using aseptic conditions (however the next question asked about the aseptic conditions)

My teacher always says: when adding bacteria you have to lawn!!

It's shocking how you'd even show your face after promising everyone to give full sets of 'FULL 120/120 UMS' notes 2 days before the exam and not even apologize about lieing. Just saying.
Reply 316
Sooooo......... was it a Cell Wall or a Capsule? lolololol
Erm, firstly, totipotent stem cells have all their genes switched on, ready to make any type of cell, this is GCSE knowledge. If one single gene is deactivated, that means mrna can't be transcribed from it, a protein can't be made, and so the cell will not be modified in a specific way, and that's one less differentiated cell.

All genes must be switched on ready to make any type of cell. If you read the revision guide, active gene does NOT equal transcription, under the correct stimulus transcription will occur.

Secondly, LOL that wasn't a cell wall, click on this link and this link, and read out to me what it says for the final outside layer. Thanks. I don't know what disapointment you're talking about.

Okay yes about the totipotent thing you're right I understood the question wrong, I was in hurry I don't think that I read the question right :frown: but about the cell wall thing I believe that I am right..see speaking about the revision guide if you read it well you'd have noticed that capsule is "sometimes present" in the prokaryotic cell that's why I don't think that capsule is the answer required open your revision guide and take a look at it
and by the way I think you got me wrong when I mentioned the disappointment!!!....I really hope everyone best of luck and for you too, and you never know hopefully they'll consider both cell wall and capsule correct answers...that's a little bit dreamy but you never now ;-)
You know what people let's just forget about the exam.....STOP THE FIGHTING AND STOP THE PUTTING UP PUTTING DOWN THING.....it's not gonna change the ugly truth that we screwed somehow....GET ALIVE DROP IT ALREADY!!! God!
Reply 319
what did people say for telophase?

Also for the golgi apparatus one i drew a lil picture to illustrate what i meant LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending