The Student Room Group

Africa or Thailand???

So i graduated last year and have just got a graduate job starting in september so before the nitty gritty of 9-5 starts I want to do a little bit of travelling.

I have been looking into lots of place - and have come down to two individual programmes with Real Gap - 1 to Swaziland, Mozambique and South Africa and the second to Thailand.

I know they are pretty different but was just looking for any advice from anyone about anything :biggrin:? I need to make the decision pretty quick as I want to go in July so need to sort things outs.

HELP

Jess

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey Jess,

BUNAC offer volunteer programmes in both Africa and South East Asia starting from £84 per week so personally speaking I would say it depends on what the projects in each of the countries offer and what you want to get out of it. When volunteering with a company, always ensure that the projects are run with local companies to ensure that the local environment benefits. Travelling with a non-profit company also ensures that at least 70% of programme costs go straight to the developing world.

Either way, have a fab time on you travels! www.bunacvolunteer.org

BUNAC
Hmmm, to be honest If you want to visit few different countries then go to the first one. The second option you will only visit Thailand, although I have to admit Thailand has A LOT for you to do in a day that you will not get bored at all.

I think you should weight up pros and cons about the safety of each options and do some research on what you can do in those countries and go for the one that will benefit you the most. I think the activities you can do in Thailand and Africa are quite different, so maybe some researchon Internet (or on TSR, many people asked questions about Thailand before) and compare and gof or the one that suit to your travelling style the most. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jess_n
So i graduated last year and have just got a graduate job starting in september so before the nitty gritty of 9-5 starts I want to do a little bit of travelling.

I have been looking into lots of place - and have come down to two individual programmes with Real Gap - 1 to Swaziland, Mozambique and South Africa and the second to Thailand.

I know they are pretty different but was just looking for any advice from anyone about anything :biggrin:? I need to make the decision pretty quick as I want to go in July so need to sort things outs.

HELP

Jess

I was in South Africa this year for a few months. Had a great time, but, I wouldn't recommend going with Real Gap, there an expensive middleman. If you do, I'd only go for 3 weeks or less, then travel around independently.
Reply 4
Both sound great trips, both different but think you would enjoy them just as much! Hard choice :smile:
Reply 5
Thailand is so busy. I had an amazing time in Vietnam with real gap ( Vietnam experience _4 weeks ). It is very beautiful country. You should go to Vietnam :smile:)))
Reply 6
I had exactly the same dilemma!I chose South Africa in the end and booked the South Africa Experience for 2 weeks in July.I want something to add on now and dont know what really?
Any help would be great - bit nervous of travelling alone and not sure who I will meet.
Reply 7
I ahd the same decision problem tooo! I also chose S Africa experience with real gap.. booked onto the one for the 24th July?? Im also looking for something to add on.. been looking all day! Not going to be with real gap tho. Been looking at riding holidays and also some tours and treks from Cape Town.
Im super nervous about going myself too!
Reply 8
Go with volunteers for volunteers (VFV) they are a charity and cheap, they have projects in Thailand, I went to Cameroon and loved xx
Tough choice

One of my mates went to Africa last year and had a great time, especially when he visited Cape Town.

Another friend has just come back from SE Asia, visiting Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand, and he thought Vietnam was a lot better than Thailand
Reply 11
Personally I would say Africa every time. I have been with Real Gap to south Africa and I had the most amazing time!!
I also have a discount code that you could use to get 5% off your trip. Get in touch if you would like to use it.
Watch The Hangover Part II, and then decide. (;
Reply 13
TaraG - what trip did you do with Real Gap???I am doing the S Africa experience and am contemplating adding another but not sure yet.
Thailand!
i'd said africa is FAR more interesting, but then again i suppose i have to been to pretty much everywhere in the east and have even lived in parts of it...
Reply 16
I lived in Thailand for a year (as an exchange student), so I would go with Thailand, but I am extremely biased!

Thailand as an amazing country. I would reccomend it to everyone.

If you have any specific questions about Thailand, I would be happy to answer them. ^_^
Why don't you go to Moldova or Romania, if you wish to help? There is less chance of being killed or raped. Plus, it would be a lot cheaper than going all the way to Africa.
Original post by jess_n

HELP

Jess

why not travel independently? just you and a copy of "lonely planet". if you do travel independently, thailand is easier, asia is easier, than africa, because more densely popuated there is always transport and places to sleep - no need for a tent.
Reply 19
Thanks for all your comments! - I booked a while ago now to go to Africa - South Africa, Mozambique and Swaziland. I know quite a few people that have been to thailand for a couple of weeks rather than an extended period and said that they felt this was enough time so thought that that could be an option later on for me.

Thanks for all your help though.

Quick Reply

Latest