College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

City University accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys :smile:
I'm still deciding, but seems I'll be going to City after all :biggrin:
Can anyone comment on Alliance House for postgraduate students? The City price tables show that it costs only £5,335.33 for 41 weeks, so I am a bit surprised by the price (compared to other prices). Why is it so much cheaper than the rest? Is it any good? :biggrin:

By the way, can anyone tell me when does the academic year usually end at City? I'm worried about this "41 weeks", am I going to complete my MSc course by this time? :s-smilie:
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 41
Has anyone heard back from City? I sent off my form, special recorded delivery with a SAE included for reply as per their instructions, and although my letter was delivered on 11th May I haven't got my confirmation letter from them that they have received my letter. I'm a little worried, or do you think I'm worrying unneccessarily?
Reply 42
Original post by Citygirl31
Has anyone heard back from City? I sent off my form, special recorded delivery with a SAE included for reply as per their instructions, and although my letter was delivered on 11th May I haven't got my confirmation letter from them that they have received my letter. I'm a little worried, or do you think I'm worrying unneccessarily?

I e-mailed them my application in April and they said they'll allocate rooms after A-level results are released in August, or sometime in July in case your offer is already unconditional.
I'm guessing they've probably received your application and just didn't bother to reply, but you could contact them just to make sure.
Reply 43
Original post by Alex~
I e-mailed them my application in April and they said they'll allocate rooms after A-level results are released in August, or sometime in July in case your offer is already unconditional.
I'm guessing they've probably received your application and just didn't bother to reply, but you could contact them just to make sure.

Thanks I think I'll do that on Wednesday if I still haven't heard back from them!
For those of you going to City and still deciding about accommodation, I can recommend you the accommodation I booked, so have a look:
http://www.opalstudents.com/student-accommodation/london/listing/
I booked a room at Arcade 3 London, check it out, great rooms, nice location, not too expensive either :smile:
I'm not quite familiar with London, but it also seems their Opal 2, McMillan Student Village is not too far away :smile:

I found this one too:
http://londonhorizons.com/
This is what they told me:
Single room with en-suite, includes free breakfast, free internet, free gym, free swimming, sauna, steam and Jacuzzi. (living large! :biggrin: )
The transport is very good near London Horizons, we have 2 x underground stations, Oval and Stockwell. Estimated time from London Horizons to City University London will take 15 / 20 mins. We are now offering Long Term guests staying for 6 months or more will receive 10% off all bookings with 1 guest in a room and 15% off when 2 people are sharing a room. Long term guests are required to pay 1 month in advance and a 1 month deposit which will go to the last months rent or should they cancel a cancellation fee.

I think these rooms are far more better option than paying 13 000 -15 000 for the University accommodation, which is ridiculous :rolleyes:
Reply 45
Original post by Muzikjunki
For those of you going to City and still deciding about accommodation, I can recommend you the accommodation I booked, so have a look:
http://www.opalstudents.com/student-accommodation/london/listing/
I booked a room at Arcade 3 London, check it out, great rooms, nice location, not too expensive either :smile:
I'm not quite familiar with London, but it also seems their Opal 2, McMillan Student Village is not too far away :smile:

I found this one too:
http://londonhorizons.com/
This is what they told me:
Single room with en-suite, includes free breakfast, free internet, free gym, free swimming, sauna, steam and Jacuzzi. (living large! :biggrin: )
The transport is very good near London Horizons, we have 2 x underground stations, Oval and Stockwell. Estimated time from London Horizons to City University London will take 15 / 20 mins. We are now offering Long Term guests staying for 6 months or more will receive 10% off all bookings with 1 guest in a room and 15% off when 2 people are sharing a room. Long term guests are required to pay 1 month in advance and a 1 month deposit which will go to the last months rent or should they cancel a cancellation fee.

I think these rooms are far more better option than paying 13 000 -15 000 for the University accommodation, which is ridiculous :rolleyes:

LondonHorizons looked amazing but is located in Stockwell South London which has the highest murder rate and is known as a dump. Would hate to live there regardless of the free gym, swimming pool and cheap prices :frown:

Im kind of considering it though :colondollar:
Original post by E-glory
LondonHorizons looked amazing but is located in Stockwell South London which has the highest murder rate and is known as a dump. Would hate to live there regardless of the free gym, swimming pool and cheap prices :frown:

Im kind of considering it though :colondollar:

Omg, first time I hear that! :eek:
Honestly, I know nothing about London as I am an international student and never been to London before :biggrin:
I already booked a room at Arcade 3... don't tell me it's also a high crime rate area? :biggrin:
It's located near the Holloway Road tube station, any info on that?
Reply 47
I've booked a room at Arcade 3, too, but I'm studying at London Met. Google "Holloway Road" (London) and you'll find a bit of info...thus far I've gathered that there's a cinema and a shopping mall of some sort I think. Sounds alright, anyway.
Original post by shaziow
I've booked a room at Arcade 3, too, but I'm studying at London Met. Google "Holloway Road" (London) and you'll find a bit of info...thus far I've gathered that there's a cinema and a shopping mall of some sort I think. Sounds alright, anyway.

Nice to hear that :smile: Are you a postgraduate student too? When I was booking a room, I got a strange feeling that most of the tenants there are undergraduate :/ But the building itself and the rooms are looking very promising! :smile:
Reply 49
Nice to hear that :smile: Are you a postgraduate student too? When I was booking a room, I got a strange feeling that most of the tenants there are undergraduate :/ But the building itself and the rooms are looking very promising! :smile:

I'm an undergraduate but also a mature student, so I've asked to be with 2nd/3rd year or other mature students if possible...whether or not that'll happen, who knows! If not I'll have to invest in industrial earplugs :biggrin:

Yes it does look good (my reason for choosing it really - plus it's only a 10min walk from LMU and all the cheaper ones were at least 20mins by public transport), will be interesting to see if it still looks the same - but I think the new furniture was only put in last year, so should be alright.
Original post by shaziow
I'm an undergraduate but also a mature student, so I've asked to be with 2nd/3rd year or other mature students if possible...whether or not that'll happen, who knows! If not I'll have to invest in industrial earplugs :biggrin:

Yes it does look good (my reason for choosing it really - plus it's only a 10min walk from LMU and all the cheaper ones were at least 20mins by public transport), will be interesting to see if it still looks the same - but I think the new furniture was only put in last year, so should be alright.

Aaa s*it! :biggrin: I've just realized what mistake I made... I'm a postgraduate student so I put 1st as preferred year (thinking 1st year of postgraduate studies :biggrin:), but now I see it was related to undergraduate studies :biggrin:
I hope they will realize I am a postgraduate and put me with older students :smile:

Have you seen this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INrA6QRbDw4
I hope it'll be like like this :biggrin:
Reply 51
Aaa s*it! :biggrin: I've just realized what mistake I made... I'm a postgraduate student so I put 1st as preferred year (thinking 1st year of postgraduate studies :biggrin:), but now I see it was related to undergraduate studies :biggrin:
I hope they will realize I am a postgraduate and put me with older students :smile:

Have you seen this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INrA6QRbDw4
I hope it'll be like like this :biggrin:

Oops! I'd send them an e-mail to make sure, although I don't know how much attention they pay to preferences. I hadn't seen the video - looks awesome, but the music is a bit freaky lol!
Reply 52
Original post by Alex~

I rang them today, I was told that they have allocated rooms to their unconditional offer holders, which seems like the sensible thing to do, but they are anticipating a shortage of rooms. I have looked at alternative accomodation on studentpad and it seems so much more expensive. Does anyone else have any experience of this?
Reply 53
Hi everyone!
I have been offered a place in Derwent Point. It looks really amazing, but it's toooooo expensive!!! 239$pw!
Can't afford that...Where are you going to live and, moreover, how much are you going to spend?
=)
Original post by Sa*
Hi everyone!
I have been offered a place in Derwent Point. It looks really amazing, but it's toooooo expensive!!! 239$pw!
Can't afford that...Where are you going to live and, moreover, how much are you going to spend?
=)

I already suggested some alternative accommodation above, have a look. I wanted to apply for Alliance House (very cheap accommodation), but then I realized I probably wouldn't get a place there, so I searched elsewhere.
In my opinion, anything above 200 pounds per week for a student accommodation is ridiculous. At Arcade (refurbished completely in September 2010, includes 51 weeks tenancy contracts), £170/wk is a price for a standard room which even looks better than some rooms at other Halls which are much more expensive than this.

I am paying £180.32/wk for a 15m2 room which includes a 4ft bed and all bills paid (Internet included too), in a flat shared with one or 2 persons more, meaning everyone will have their own shower and toilet :smile:

The way I see it, I'm going to London as a student, not as a tourist who needs a 5-star hotel :smile: If someone has £350/wk to pay for Nido Spitalfields, than sure go for it, other people can find accommodation for three times less money :biggrin:

Btw I can suggest this web page for searching:
www.accommodationforstudents.com

and these halls:
Victoria Hall London Wembley - £178/wk, ensuite, but 42 weeks contracts.
Citygirl31
I rang them today, I was told that they have allocated rooms to their unconditional offer holders, which seems like the sensible thing to do, but they are anticipating a shortage of rooms.

Which number did you use to contact City about accommodation? I'll probably give them a ring to ask if they think it's worth seeking alternate accommodation; if there's a chance of not being allocated a room as an undergrad then I guess it would be worth doing.

and these halls:
Victoria Hall London Wembley - £178/wk, ensuite, but 42 weeks contracts.

These actually look rather amazing, especially when you look at this table and consider Liberty Living are supplying City's halls:

http://www.victoriahall.com/wembley/1053-comparing-student-accommodations-in-london.html

The only problem is you need to apply by July 1st from the looks of it, so it's a bit of a gamble for those of us with conditional offers in case we don't get in! The other factor to consider is cost of travel to and from uni, but I guess with an oyster card this shouldn't be too much... right? :s-smilie:
Original post by DrummingThunder
These actually look rather amazing, especially when you look at this table and consider Liberty Living are supplying City's halls:

http://www.victoriahall.com/wembley/1053-comparing-student-accommodations-in-london.html

The only problem is you need to apply by July 1st from the looks of it, so it's a bit of a gamble for those of us with conditional offers in case we don't get in! The other factor to consider is cost of travel to and from uni, but I guess with an oyster card this shouldn't be too much... right? :s-smilie:

In my opinion, this table looks biased, because all of these providers have many halls around London, and it seems they selected only some of them to compare, probably the worst, so they can show how superior they are :biggrin: I can speak of Opal and Liberty and confirm that half of this data is not correct, so when searching for accommodation never trust what the competition is saying, but check it yourself :biggrin:

By the way, my offer for City is conditional too (as all the other offers I received), but you got to take the risk sometimes :biggrin: Also, I think that deposits are refundable everywhere, so don't worry :smile:

I'll apply for an Oyster card as soon as possible, so with it, the traveling around London doesn't come that expensive :smile:
Ah okay :smile: thanks for the advice, no doubt I'll probably just end up waiting it out to see if City give me accommodation anyway... I'm far too lazy to actually go ahead and sort something out elsewhere :tongue:

To be honest I'd rather live in City's halls anyway, purely for the fact that other City students will be there too :smile: what's your course?
Reply 58
Deposits are not always refundable - mine isn't.

Either way, I'd book sooner rather than later...or run the risk of not getting in where you want to.
Original post by DrummingThunder
Ah okay :smile: thanks for the advice, no doubt I'll probably just end up waiting it out to see if City give me accommodation anyway... I'm far too lazy to actually go ahead and sort something out elsewhere :tongue:

To be honest I'd rather live in City's halls anyway, purely for the fact that other City students will be there too :smile: what's your course?

I know, I'd rather live in City's halls too, but their fees simply won't allow me (I'm a postgraduate student) :biggrin: It is crazy how Liberty Hall's undergraduate weekly fee is £170, but for postgraduate students only studios are available for an insane £267 weekly fee :confused: Plus, Liberty Court is reserved for undergrads only :s-smilie:

I'm going for MSc Information Management :smile: It doesn't matter if I'll be at some other halls, students live in them too :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest