The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Watched The Princess Bride and Monty Python and the Holy Grail last night. I felt like a bit of a medieval comedy binge and was shocked that my friend hadn't seen either of them. Funny as ever :smile:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Will look into picking the books then. :holmes:

I finished The Drawing of the Three recently. :biggrin: Really enjoyed it - I thought the opening third with Eddie was absolutely flawless, but then I felt like it dropped off a little bit in the middle until Jack Mort was introduced, where it picked back up.
Original post by mimimimi
Watched The Princess Bride and Monty Python and the Holy Grail last night. I felt like a bit of a medieval comedy binge and was shocked that my friend hadn't seen either of them. Funny as ever :smile:

Ah Princess Bride. The best thing about that film is the poison scene. A Knight's Tale is an enjoyable film if you're looking for more. Just as long as you stay away from Your Highness.
Ah Princess Bride. The best thing about that film is the poison scene. A Knight's Tale is an enjoyable film if you're looking for more. Just as long as you stay away from Your Highness.

Haha yeah, I absolutely love the poison scene. Wallace Shawn's entire character really makes me laugh in that film...

I haven't seen A Knight's Tale - that's not a comedy though, is it? I didn't think it was, at least... I have no intention to ever see Your Highness, I thought it looked terrible and it seems that's what everyone thinks of it, so I'll avoid it like the plague :tongue:

I also remember enjoying Robin Hood: Men in Tights, but I've only seen it once and that was ages ago, so perhaps it's not as good as I remember. Might refresh my memory and watch it again soon to find out!
I finally watched The Squid and the Whale and Ghost World last night, the latter I have had on DVD since about 2008 or something. I love Jesse Eisenberg. :biggrin: The latter film was good, maybe a bit overrated. I found the 'cruel comedy' a little hard to watch, because it was the sort of thing you'd see in real life and I didn't find it that funny, so I thought of it as more of a drama. Really good acting though and I've never seen Scarlett Johansson play a bitch before.

Don't know what to watch tonight. Now that my exams are over I want to watch a **** load of films I haven't seen before. Massive urge to watch Cabaret, actually.
Original post by zjs
On a DiCaprio marathon with Inception and The Departed yesterday and Gangs of New York today. May have to continue the theme and watch Blood Diamond. :pierre:

I think you should watch them in order as Leo gets progressively fatter :awesome:
Fantastic article on the issues of 2D digital projection through a 3D lens: http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2011/05/22/misuse_of_3_d_digital_lens_leaves_2_d_movies_in_the_dark/?page=full

Really leaves food for thought.
What to watch before setting on a month long kayaking/camping holiday. :holmes: Might give Double Indemnity a go. Watched Sunset Boulevard yesterday. A really sad film, wasn't my favourite from Billy Wilder though.

Anyone seen anything good recently they'd recommend?
Oh yeah saw most of the Time Travellers wife a few weeks back, never mentioned that. Was pretty decent, I always find Eric Bana good in more slowly paced, dramatic roles
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
I just signed up for the trial with the promo code... I want my voucher! lol
Will I get it with my first film or something?

btw how long is the trial for caddeh? :cool:
Reply 2050
I've seen people say the same thing about the philosophy behind the Matrix. I like the philosophical themes behind the Matrix though it just touches upon what you would derive from books and written works.

I like the concept at its most basic: machines have taken over the earth and use humans as their source of energy; with our 'lives' just a simulation. Beyond that it descends into layer upon layer of pseudo-psychology, often nonsensical. Inception is relatively complex (certainly compared to films such as Transformers) but it's not an idea of philosophy and so doesn't suffer from becoming turgid.

On an unrelated note, went into CeX and, for a tenner, I got: Blood Diamond, The Departed, The Dark Knight, Fahrenheit 9/11, Jarhead and Office Space. :h:
Reply 2051
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I think you should watch them in order as Leo gets progressively fatter :awesome:

I might watch them backwards instead, so he ages backwards and I get all Benjamin Button on him.

Adding insult to injury with that one: Pitt.
Original post by zjs
I like the concept at its most basic: machines have taken over the earth and use humans as their source of energy; with our 'lives' just a simulation. Beyond that it descends into layer upon layer of pseudo-psychology, often nonsensical. Inception is relatively complex (certainly compared to films such as Transformers) but it's not an idea of philosophy and so doesn't suffer from becoming turgid.

On an unrelated note, went into CeX and, for a tenner, I got: Blood Diamond, The Departed, The Dark Knight, Fahrenheit 9/11, Jarhead and Office Space. :h:

lol deal and a half mate, some great films there. Specially Jarhead, bit of a sleeper hit imo, not that well known but worth a watch

Btw the life and death of Benjamin Button's on channel 4 tonight from 9, for anyone that hasn't seen it (like me...), it's one of those things I hear loads about but end up never seeing, like Black Swan. I know, it's a shame
Original post by elisabethbridge

Original post by elisabethbridge
What to watch before setting on a month long kayaking/camping holiday. :holmes: Might give Double Indemnity a go. Watched Sunset Boulevard yesterday. A really sad film, wasn't my favourite from Billy Wilder though.

Anyone seen anything good recently they'd recommend?

Into The Wild although it might put you off more than anything. Still, good film. And Emile Hirsch gives a good performance.

Original post by lukejoshjedi
Oh yeah saw most of the Time Travellers wife a few weeks back, never mentioned that. Was pretty decent, I always find Eric Bana good in more slowly paced, dramatic roles

Not a patch on the book but Rachel McAdams was in the film so I didn't mind :sexface:
lol deal and a half mate, some great films there. Specially Jarhead, bit of a sleeper hit imo, not that well known but worth a watch

Whut. Jarhead was pretty big when it came out mostly because Jakey boy was in it. Thought it was pretty good myself, mind I was swayed by the cinematography.
I found Jarhead to be absolutely dire.
Original post by Phalanges

Wut, but... the Gylenhaal, he's fantastic, wouldn't you agree

and fair enough stray, I meant in terms of audience awareness of the film, I know it was critically received quite well but not that many people went to see it? (refer to box office gross for the answer to that but yeah)
Reply 2057
Original post by Phalanges

Edgy and unconventional, eh? James Dean is in our midst. :pierre:

I thought the performances from Foxx and Gyllenhaal were strong throughout, to the point that it made up for the film losing its way slightly around halfway through.
btw how long is the trial for caddeh? :cool:

30 dayssss

Original post by zjs
Edgy and unconventional, eh? James Dean is in our midst. :pierre:

I thought the performances from Foxx and Gyllenhaal were strong throughout, to the point that it made up for the film losing its way slightly around halfway through.

Each to their own, right. James Dean wasn't around for all that long though... :tongue:

And Mr Peter Sarsgaard makes an appearance. I love him to death.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending