The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zjs
Edgy and unconventional, eh? James Dean is in our midst. :pierre:

I thought the performances from Foxx and Gyllenhaal were strong throughout, to the point that it made up for the film losing its way slightly around halfway through.

You compared me to James Dean. :awesome:

I found the film to be a case of style over substance; for me it lacked any kind of connection or attachment to reality in the way that Hurt Locker does, for example. I watched it a long time ago though so I cannot remember it too clearly, just that I don't have any particular desires to go back and watch it again.
Reply 2061
Original post by Phalanges
You compared me to James Dean. :awesome:

I found the film to be a case of style over substance; for me it lacked any kind of connection or attachment to reality in the way that Hurt Locker does, for example. I watched it a long time ago though so I cannot remember it too clearly, just that I don't have any particular desires to go back and watch it again.

Don't let it get to your head. :hand:

I wouldn't say that was the case. It is, perhaps, too focused on Gyllenhaal and his relative simplicity then outbursts of angers that it really is about the psychological effects of war, but I wouldn't call it a style-over-substance piece. The last half hour or so becomes very contorted, so it's this bit I'm re-watching it with a view to. Either way, worth £1.
Hey guys, I'm back. :u:

Exams are over. :awesome:

Case of Benjamin Button and Pirates of the Caribbean tonight.

Also watched The King's Speech last night. What a lovely film, really warm. I can see a bit more justification why it has done well at the oscars and Baftas. I thought Geoffrey Rush gave a better performance than Colin Firth.
(edited 12 years ago)
Leaked Fincher Girl With The Dragon Tattoo trailer. Apologies if it has already been posted. :teehee:

Trent Reznor and Karen O covering a song. :awesome:

Keep in mind it's only a teaser trailer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Madjackismad

Original post by Madjackismad
Apologies if it has already been posted. :teehee:

Third time's a charm. :wink:
Third time's a charm. :wink:

Drat. You film fanatics, you all should have been studying.

*shakes fist*
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
30 dayssss

Do you pay/know anyone who pays for lovefilm? As in after the trial period? Just wondering if it's worth it.
Original post by rofflewaffle

Do you pay/know anyone who pays for lovefilm? As in after the trial period? Just wondering if it's worth it.

I know of a few. Apparently it's pretty much what you expect i.e. if you're prepared to pay for it you get fairly decent service. Still a poor substitute for Netflix though.
I know of a few. Apparently it's pretty much what you expect i.e. if you're prepared to pay for it you get fairly decent service. Still a poor substitute for Netflix though.

Mmm. Okay. I only asked as I'm a little reluctant to sign up for the free trial as I know it's highly likely I'll forget to cancel it before the end of the 30 days and end up paying.

Is anyone thinking of going to Empire's Big Screen? I don't think I could justify the price of the standard ticket for what you actually get, and the better tickets are too expensive for me I'm afraid. Looks like an interesting event though.
Just watched Body Heat. It said on wikipedia that it owed inspiration to Double Indemnity. This is a great understatement; Body Heat basically *is* Double Indemnity, but with tits and slightly worse. Still a very good movie though. :holmes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Is anyone thinking of going to Empire's Big Screen? I don't think I could justify the price of the standard ticket for what you actually get, and the better tickets are too expensive for me I'm afraid. Looks like an interesting event though.

Tempted, but as you said it's expensive. Do you know if this is a one-off event or are they likely to do it again in the future? :holmes:.
I love POTC Dead mans chest, just such an all around perfect film imo. Didn't catch too much of the Curious case of Benjamin button, speaking of which, Brad seems to be inclined to do random roles with southern united states accents... like Inglorious Basterds
Dead Mans Chest is the worst of the ones i've seen.

Tempted, but as you said it's expensive. Do you know if this is a one-off event or are they likely to do it again in the future? :holmes:.

I am sure that if it's successful they'll try and make it a yearly thing (and I imagine it will be pretty successful).

I think I read somewhere that subscribers get 10% off, so if you do decide to go let me know and you can have my discount.
Shame that the 'Diamond' tickets to Empire Big Screen are sold out.
I finished The Drawing of the Three recently. :biggrin: Really enjoyed it - I thought the opening third with Eddie was absolutely flawless, but then I felt like it dropped off a little bit in the middle until Jack Mort was introduced, where it picked back up.

I have to be honest, I love the first three books (not the later ones as you may understand when you come to read the fourth one), but The Drawing of the Three was my least favourite out of the first three. I didn't like the slight shift of attention away from Roland. I liked Eddie though, and the whole story that went along with him.

The next book, The Wastelands, is easily my favourite and probably the strongest book in the series.

What did you think of Odetta and her story?
Original post by cambo211
Dead Mans Chest is the worst of the ones i've seen.

Ah so you definetely haven't seen On strangers tides yet then :redface: what's your order of preference for the original 3 films?

For me 2 > 1 > 3, really not a fan of At worlds end
Original post by Stray_talk

Not a patch on the book but Rachel McAdams was in the film so I didn't mind :sexface:

Rachel McAdams was the only reason I sat through The Notebook. :awesome:

Original post by mimimimi
Haha yeah, I absolutely love the poison scene. Wallace Shawn's entire character really makes me laugh in that film...

I haven't seen A Knight's Tale - that's not a comedy though, is it? I didn't think it was, at least... I have no intention to ever see Your Highness, I thought it looked terrible and it seems that's what everyone thinks of it, so I'll avoid it like the plague :tongue:

I also remember enjoying Robin Hood: Men in Tights, but I've only seen it once and that was ages ago, so perhaps it's not as good as I remember. Might refresh my memory and watch it again soon to find out!

'Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.'

A Knight's Tale isn't strictly a comedy, no. But it is definitely a light-hearted movie. Don't expect much from it if you do end up watching it because it is predictable. But enjoyable nonetheless. It has Heath Ledger and Paul Bettany.

I like medieval films. I remember the Dragonheart films. :moon:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest