The Student Room Group

Upcoming Edexcel AS Biology: Unit 2 exam on 26 May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Firstly, The genes question was 23000, my teacher and my class went throught the paper together and she said that was correct, also the lets revision guide has a question on that. The labelling question was a cell wall, shown by a past paper and the fact that it says you do not need to know anything about a capsule on the specification.

So allow hating on people and re-assuring yourselves when its not the correct awnser, no point in argueing.
Original post by Alakamind
Firstly, The genes question was 23000, my teacher and my class went throught the paper together and she said that was correct, also the lets revision guide has a question on that. The labelling question was a cell wall, shown by a past paper and the fact that it says you do not need to know anything about a capsule on the specification.

So allow hating on people and re-assuring yourselves when its not the correct awnser, no point in argueing.

Nowhere on the spec does it say that though. It actually gives zero details about the extent to which you need to know the prokaroytic cells; just need to be able to distinguish their structural features. The fact that they've questioned about the slime capsule before shows how the exam board expects such knowledge.

I stand with my argument that it wasn't a cell wall due to the curvy nature of the layer under question. I'm sure the cell wall was implied by the thick black line (can't remember exact details).

Does anyone have the paper ?
Reply 322
Original post by snow leopard
Nowhere on the spec does it say that though. It actually gives zero details about the extent to which you need to know the prokaroytic cells; just need to be able to distinguish their structural features. The fact that they've questioned about the slime capsule before shows how the exam board expects such knowledge.

I stand with my argument that it wasn't a cell wall due to the curvy nature of the layer under question. I'm sure the cell wall was implied by the thick black line (can't remember exact details).

Does anyone have the paper ?

the thick black line was labelled as a cell membrane. and the layer was not 'curvy' lol smh
Original post by Paolat
the thick black line was labelled as a cell membrane. and the layer was not 'curvy' lol smh

Obviously you would favour the black line being a cell membrane seeing as you put cell wall. It is not up to opinion, we need to see the paper.

And it was curvy; it had very gentle, slight wave-like curves at the boundary. The edges were not straight.
Reply 324
hi can someone take the copy of the paper and upload it then from there we can ?? can anyone go to school tommorow and get the copy of the paper from a teacher pleaseeeee
Hey everyone. first time actually commenting :wink: . but yeh i really liked that test. i did revise and i must say i was not expecting this . hardly anything came up. Here are a few answers i remember putting.
1) i put 'Area D' as the Endemism area.
2) for the question about breeding programmes and reintroduction programmes I put what i could remember from my coursework lol.
3) for that question with the bar graph, i put 'B' for both. firstly because of the magnesium and then because of the calcium
4) for the question we had to identify which domain was Eukaryota i got 'C' and then 'B' for the archea
5) for the question about the antimicrobial which asked why was the boy right which was the first bit, i said because 'ethanol' had 3 out of the 5 areas higher than hot water. and then when they said why was the girl right i said how the mean of the hot water was higher than that of ethanol
6) for the 11,000 or 23,000 i put '23,000' and i asked my mates who got the same answer. we might be right or wrong but it was only a mark and thats what i got.
7) i got the mean for that question as 7.7
i cant really remember anymore. but i did think that this paper wasnt really biology and more common sense. im hoping for an A as i thought it was easy but maybe it was too easy that i failed ahaha. :colondollar:
Original post by Sabrina999
Hey everyone. first time actually commenting :wink: . but yeh i really liked that test. i did revise and i must say i was not expecting this . hardly anything came up. Here are a few answers i remember putting.
2) for the question about breeding programmes and reintroduction programmes I put what i could remember from my coursework lol.
3) for that question with the bar graph, i put 'B' for both. firstly because of the magnesium and then because of the calcium
4) for the question we had to identify which domain was Eukaryota i got 'C' and then 'B' for the archea
5) for the question about the antimicrobial which asked why was the boy right which was the first bit, i said because 'ethanol' had 3 out of the 5 areas higher than hot water. and then when they said why was the girl right i said how the mean of the hot water was higher than that of ethanol
6) for the 11,000 or 23,000 i put '23,000' and i asked my mates who got the same answer. we might be right or wrong but it was only a mark and thats what i got.
i cant really remember anymore. but i did think that this paper wasnt really biology and more common sense. im hoping for an A as i thought it was easy but maybe it was too easy that i failed ahaha. :colondollar:

Yay, we got the same answers :cool: Only question I think I messed up was the question about breeding programmes, my fault though, didn't revise it well enough :colondollar:
Original post by Charlesworth
Yay, we got the same answers :cool: Only question I think I messed up was the question about breeding programmes, my fault though, didn't revise it well enough :colondollar:

ahahaha. niceeeeeeee. and yeh that question about breeding programmes i didnt know what to put either but hopefully i put something which will get me marks and im sure you did too. :wink:

Like you (and Charlesworth), I got the same answers as well :smile: I know what you mean about it not being biology, they usually have so much statistics involved. I think they were soft with the stats though for 2011, last year had really horrible graphs. Two questions:

1. What points did you make when comparing the Manila and Nylon rope? It was 3 marks - I talked about how both generally increased, and then manipulated the data to say how at x kilos nylon carried 2x as much.

2. For the prokaryote question, where it asked you to name two parts of the structure, did you answer flagellum & slime capsule, or flagellum & cell wall?
Like you (and Charlesworth), I got the same answers as well :smile: I know what you mean about it not being biology, they usually have so much statistics involved. I think they were soft with the stats though for 2011, last year had really horrible graphs. Two questions:

1. What points did you make when comparing the Manila and Nylon rope? It was 3 marks - I talked about how both generally increased, and then manipulated the data to say how at x kilos nylon carried 2x as much.

2. For the prokaryote question, where it asked you to name two parts of the structure, did you answer flagellum & slime capsule, or flagellum & cell wall?

awesomeeeeee. yeh when comparing the manila and nylon rope i just said what i saw and how yeh they both generally increased. although writing the word 'manila' really pissed me off aha, its soo like awkward and nothing ive ever written or seen before. and omg that prokaryote question i did get flagellum but i didnt get cell wall or capsule :colondollar: i got 'inner membrane' loooool. dont even ask me why ! and also when we had to label two things inside the cytoplasm i drew a neucloid and then i drew some dots and labelled it as 'lipid granules' instead of lipid 'droplets' :s-smilie:
awesomeeeeee. yeh when comparing the manila and nylon rope i just said what i saw and how yeh they both generally increased. although writing the word 'manila' really pissed me off aha, its soo like awkward and nothing ive ever written or seen before. and omg that prokaryote question i did get flagellum but i didnt get cell wall or capsule :colondollar: i got 'inner membrane' loooool. dont even ask me why ! and also when we had to label two things inside the cytoplasm i drew a neucloid and then i drew some dots and labelled it as 'lipid granules' instead of lipid 'droplets' :s-smilie:

Oh I thought lipid droplets were only in the ovum, but apparently they're in all cell types. The examiner may give you the benefit of the doubt and know what you're talking about though!

Which two labels did you circle for the question that asked about haploid cells in the egg?
Oh I thought lipid droplets were only in the ovum, but apparently they're in all cell types. The examiner may give you the benefit of the doubt and know what you're talking about though!

Which two labels did you circle for the question that asked about haploid cells in the egg?

omg, so heres the funny thing. my friend was telling me how she missed out a question in the exam. and i was like to her, ahaha, shame ! i never do that, maybe you should read properly and basically just taking the piss. and then she told me the question she missed out and i was like thinking 'what the hell, cos i dont remember circling anything' and so yeh to answer your question, i dont even remember this question :0 i didnt see it... i remember defining what haploid meant but i did not circle anything i dont even think i remember the diagram of the egg cell ?
how many marks was it worth :eek:
Reply 332
omg, so heres the funny thing. my friend was telling me how she missed out a question in the exam. and i was like to her, ahaha, shame ! i never do that, maybe you should read properly and basically just taking the piss. and then she told me the question she missed out and i was like thinking 'what the hell, cos i dont remember circling anything' and so yeh to answer your question, i dont even remember this question :0 i didnt see it... i remember defining what haploid meant but i did not circle anything i dont even think i remember the diagram of the egg cell ?

2 marks I just noticed at the end haha :smile: Also got cell wall for the labelling of the prokaryotic cell :smile: Was a really good paper overall.
Reply 333
hi there how did you find the unit 2 biology ?? can i ask u the question where it said give one evidence that ethanol extract was higher and that hot water was not i put that ethanol extract had less affect on bacterium than hot water??? is that what you put and what did u get for the species which is high and low i put C for high cant remember the low though?? for the question about reintoduction and capitive breeding i put released into wilds so more mating and production of individuals so maintains genetic diversitry. i mentioned like less spread of disease e.t.c ?? is that correct??
Reply 334
why did i get a negative rep???? who disagreed with my answer please tell me i what to know where i have gone wrong?

Ah I'm sorry!

Yeah you had to define what haploid meant afterwards. Only 2 marks anyway, I'm sure you'll still get A nevertheless.

Original post by Nator
2 marks I just noticed at the end haha :smile: Also got cell wall for the labelling of the prokaryotic cell :smile: Was a really good paper overall.

So what two labels did you circle?
Reply 336
Ah I'm sorry!

Yeah you had to define what haploid meant afterwards. Only 2 marks anyway, I'm sure you'll still get A nevertheless.

So what two labels did you circle?

The egg cell and polar nuclei :smile:
Original post by Nator
The egg cell and polar nuclei :smile:

Polar nuclei are diploid - fuses with the haploid male gamete to form a triploid endosperm. The answer I believe was any two of egg cell/synergid/antipodal. It was a bit unfair in my opinion, you needed further knowledge that there are eight haploid cells in the ovule (1 egg, 2 polar, 2 synergid, 3 antipodal).
Reply 338
was it you smow leapord who gave me negative if so why
'???
Reply 339
Polar nuclei are diploid - fuses with the haploid male gamete to form a triploid endosperm. The answer I believe was any two of egg cell/synergid/antipodal. It was a bit unfair in my opinion, you needed further knowledge that there are eight haploid cells in the ovule (1 egg, 2 polar, 2 synergid, 3 antipodal).

That's right, initially I thought exactly what you did, however it specifically asked for those which are involved in fertilisation; the synergid and antipodal are not involved in fertilisation, hence it can only be the two I mentioned before. Taking the fact that it asked for haploid into account, I circled only one of the 2 polar nuclei, however my friends done both so I think I may have just got a mark, oh well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending