The Student Room Group

The Norwegian Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Luceria
Haha. That's just lovely. I don't like really like anything at McDonalds, except the milkshake. Which is the most unhealthy thing there. :rolleyes:. I buy one maybe once every 1-3 year. Which is how often I visit McDonalds.

I love Maccy Dee's but I haven't eaten there in about a year. I love their chips - greasy and drenched in salt, mmmmmm. :biggrin:
Reply 201
Original post by Luceria
Maccy Dee? Interesting name for it, haha. I don't like hamburgers, not a very big fan of fries (or should I say chips?) either . And McDonalds "food" always makes me feel sick.

They only sell crap food in waterparks (Bø Sommarland.. Ever been? Not that far away from Oslo.) , and it's expensive like hell.:colonhash:
It's like 100 kr for a hot dog etc.

I love hamburgers, especially from Burger King. I could get fat on hamburgers, really fat. Which is why I almost never eat them :sad: .

I'd never heard of it before you told me about it. Biggest in Scandinavia according to the website, looks like fun. I used to love waterparks and swimming pools until I was about twelve-years-old and realized that a lot of people pee in the water, urgh. :s-smilie: Everytime we've been on holiday in Norway my dad has lost about 3kg, he refuses to eat much due to the expense, haha - I'm sure he'd be a very hungry swimmer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 202
Original post by Luceria
Haven't been to Burger King in 10+ years. I remember it disappeared from my city!

Yes, biggest one in Scandinavia. It's in a really great location as well, surrounded by forest! I never spend much time in the swimming pools there (can only think of one that isn't purely for kids). Except "Sommerlandselva" where you float/swim around in a circle". And once every hour they release a wave. Yes, it's nasty.. Ugh.. But I tend to ignore it. Haha, well can't blame him!

Chlorine isn't very pleasant either.. Reminds me of the tap water in Oxford, which smelled strongly of chlorine. Enough to make you sick! I could drink it, but had to cover my nose etc. I bought water instead. It's probably
rubbish in London as well. Might as well drink a bucket of chlorine!

I heard there's no longer a McDonald's or Burger King in the whole of Iceland because after importing all the ingrediants it was about the same price as a gourmet meal at a proper restaurant, and after the economic crash no-one could afford it. Mind you it probably was gourmet in comparison to most Icelandic food, look up svið if you have a strong stomach (tastes nice, looks hideous).

Floating around in a circle until a wave comes (or an American tourist jumps in the pool) doesn't sound so fun, haha. The forest sounds awesome though. A friend of mine has a house in Sweden with its own lake and forest *jealous*.

I'm from South-East Yorkshire (btw is the name for York in Norwegian still Jorvik?) and the water is really good and refreshing. Everytime I've been to London I've drank nothing but pop, I remember trying the water twice and feeling quite ill. Norwegian water is good generally, never made me feel ill unlike pretty much every country outside of Northern Europe.

Edit: Here's a video of svið being eaten:

Yum . . . . ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 203
Original post by Luceria
Yes, I think i read about that! Quite strange. Ew, reminds me of Smalahove! Edit: EW.

Haha. Well it's a 270 m lang kunstig elv. And it's definitely quite fun when you're young. I find it less fun now that I'm so old, but it can be quite relaxing! (if not too many people). The current in the river pulling you along. A picture of it is here (if you haven't already seen it) http://www.sommarland.no/assets/Uploads/Attraksjoner/_resampled/mainpage-Sommarlandelva3.jpg .. And no American tourist could ruin it, because you can't jump into the river, lol. That sounds lovely. I do like forests and lakes!

Yes, I thought the water would be better further north in England. No, it's Yorkshire. I didn't' expect the water to be that rubbish in Oxford! Though I guess most people living in that area are fine with it. Norwegian water is generally good, yes. Some places have excellent water quality. They pretty much sell expensive Norwegian tap water to celebrities in the US etc. (Voss)

I'm not saying this to be "patriotic".. But I've never tasted strawberries that taste better than Norwegian strawberries. The Belgian ones are rather meh.

Yep, gross looking. I'd completely forgotten about smalahove, probably because no-one eats (except American tourists, haha). Ever tried it?

You know you're old when you're reminiscing about water parks. Ah, those were the days . . . *breaks hip*

Yeah, Southerners always comment on the nice water.

Yay, go Voss - scam those celebs! :biggrin: I agree actually, though English strawberries are very nice when they come from a decent farm (especially if you handpick them yourself). Spanish strawberries are the worst, just . . . yuck; they taste like they've been sprayed with anti-flavour.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 204
Pinnekjøtt and ribbe are amazing. Not so much a fan of lutefisk though :nn:
Reply 205
Anyone completed their Student Finance?
Reply 206
Original post by Luceria
I don't really like ribbe. Lutefisk? Ew. I've never even seen lutefisk in real life, haha. . But I imagine it smells bad and tastes like rubbish!

The actual flavour of lutefisk is ok, it's just the texture is really bizarre...like fish flavour jelly :s-smilie:
Reply 207
Original post by Ahras

What do you mean?
Reply 208
Original post by Luceria
Sounds nasty. I don't like seafood at all.

How very...un-norwegian :p:
Concerning Nordic reggae, Kyrrlátt kvöld by the Utangarðsmenn is definitely Icelandic and definitely reggae influenced. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Concerning the Nordic obsession with fish; I was "lucky" enough to sample some Hákarl in Iceland. Quite why eating rotten shark meat that smells like pure ammonia and tastes like urine is considered a normal thing to do, I will never know. Iceland is amazing though, so I'll forgive them for that small mistake!
Reply 210
Original post by Luceria
Especially since I live on the west coast. Haha, nah.. :tongue:.. When I think of seafood, I think of older people. Which is silly. But I never see any young people gladly throw themselves over the free fish etc which they for example serve in my city in the summer etc.
It's always older people.

Lol, maybe it's just my circle of friends who are the exception then! They all love fish and seafood. One of them doesn't even eat meat, only seafood!
Reply 211
Original post by Luceria
No meat, only seafood? Wow. I think the fact that I don't eat Grandiosa is a lot more un-Norwegian. :tongue:

I've not tried Grandiosa since moving here. Think I prefer my home-made pizzas tbh :p: I really don't understand their popularity, the adverts really annoy me :angry:
Reply 212
Original post by Luceria
Me too. Well, you're not missing anything! I hate all adverts. Probably one of the reasons I don't watch tv. It's been months since last time. There is absolutely nothing to
watch on tv. And if there is a show I want to watch, I'll download it and watch it whenever I like. Not interrupted by stupid adverts and I can watch it whenever I feel like it.

Yeah I hate adverts too. We download lots of stuff but we also have a GET box so if there's anything good on we can record it and fast forward through the adverts.
Reply 213
Original post by Luceria
Smalahove? Are you kidding me? Wouldn't even eat it for money.. (well, that is debatable. lol) .. I do hate when people present it tourists, and make them think it's normal food here. Certainly not! Just like those PETA people who think we're all savage monsters that love to eat whale (ew).

I fully intend to try svith when I go to Iceland, but it actually is normal food there! I've actually tried whale too, it's not bad actually. And reindeer which is delicious but my little cousin nearly cried when I told her that I "ate Rudolph", haha.

Original post by Ahras

You actually got financed for studying in Norway? By the UK or Norwegian government? I didn't think that Lånekassen would finance you unless you were from the third world.

Original post by JayTeeKay
Concerning the Nordic obsession with fish; I was "lucky" enough to sample some Hákarl in Iceland. Quite why eating rotten shark meat that smells like pure ammonia and tastes like urine is considered a normal thing to do, I will never know. Iceland is amazing though, so I'll forgive them for that small mistake!

Oh, I actually can't wait to try that - I want to be able to say I've eaten shark.
Reply 214
Original post by Luceria
Ah, much easier with a GET box!

Dear god.. I hate this place. So many idiots. Whiny, bitter, sexist and pathetic little boys. This is the only nice thread! Think I'll just ask an admin to ban me again soon.

There are many nice threads, but sadly they are outweighed by a massive majority of idiotic ones. Which ones are bothering you in particular?
Reply 215
Original post by Einheri
I fully intend to try svith when I go to Iceland, but it actually is normal food there! I've actually tried whale too, it's not bad actually. And reindeer which is delicious but my little cousin nearly cried when I told her that I "ate Rudolph", haha.

You actually got financed for studying in Norway? By the UK or Norwegian government? I didn't think that Lånekassen would finance you unless you were from the third world.

Oh, I actually can't wait to try that - I want to be able to say I've eaten shark.

I've eaten whale once, it was nasty. And reindeer is actually quite good, lol. I've also been to Iceland and tried the rotten shark. By far the worst thing I've ever tasted. I couldn't swallow it, and I gagged twice. But it IS really cool to say that I've tasted rotten shark :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 216
Original post by MonaT
I've eaten whale once, it was nasty. And reindeer is actually quite good, lol. I've also been to Iceland and tried the rotten shark. By far the worst thing I've ever tasted. I couldn't swallow it, and I gagged twice. But it IS really cool to say that I've tasted rotten shark :biggrin:

You didn't like the whale? Did you eat the meat or just the blubber? Yup, reindeer steak is probably my favourite dish.
Reply 217
Original post by Luceria
Brave. I could never eat whale! I love whales. I'm a hypocrite . I eat "normal" meat, but refuse to eat whale, Rudolph etc! I mean, how could you ? :tongue:.. I hate all seafood though. So that's also a reason.

You wouldn't eat reindeer? I thought that was The Northern Cow. :biggrin:
Hi! Could anybody who speaks Norwegian give me a vague idea of what Lars Vaular is singing about in this song? :smile:
I really like his music but there are no English translations anywhere :frown: The most I've managed to pick out and understand from all of his songs are odd words like 'rave', 's***' oh and Supermaria :tongue:

Reply 219
Original post by un-besito
Hi! Could anybody who speaks Norwegian give me a vague idea of what Lars Vaular is singing about in this song? :smile:
I really like his music but there are no English translations anywhere :frown: The most I've managed to pick out and understand from all of his songs are odd words like 'rave', 's***' oh and Supermaria :tongue:

The title of the song means "straight up and down", the rest is some random listing of weird things that don't really make any sense (as Luceria said). I don't think it's the kind of music where lyrics really matter all that much anyway (at least judging by the lyrics, haha). I had a bit of difficulty understanding everything he said though (due to his singing style and my Norwegian being not too amazing).
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest