The Student Room Group

Group for those who do OCR A2 Philosophy & Ethics [Post Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by purplefrog
everything else... I've just started RS revision :p: just did the spec question on analogy vs symbols... my answers seems reflective of the AO1 points... just forgot to mention that symbols can be used when words can't express something >.<

Oh ahaha. Well good luck!! :smile:
I'm stressing SO much because I am teaching this subject to myself. It clashed with the other subjects I wanted to take at school. I have a tutor but she's really no good! I want to get an A but I'm struggling with essays and the exam is in about 2 weeks ahh. Just wondering if anybody perhaps has any good revision notes or maybe even a sample essay they could send me. That would be amazing because I just need to know if I'm on the right track. If anybody could reply back to me, it would be much appreciated! Thanks :smile:
You can afford to miss out one topic from philosophy and ethics as even if they come up you'd still be left with a choice of 2/3, I'm missing out nature of God and meta ethics although they look likely to come up, I hope the other questions are nice!
Reply 83
Verification and falsification has not come up yet in religious language..i hope it does and hope religious experience comes up too
Reply 84
Yay philosophy, I'm going to destroy all moral systems with my nihilism, error theorists ftw.
Reply 85
2 weeks and counting.. I'm hoping for conscience and something on afterlife would be a God send (lol, pardon the pun..). I'm just so scared! Haven't done half the revision I should have and I need to get a few practice essays in before the actual exam.

Does anyone else have the AQA Biol 4 resit in the afternoon, too? I do! :frown: As if a 3 hour exam wasn't enough..
Reply 86
Original post by xbabycakes
2 weeks and counting.. I'm hoping for conscience and something on afterlife would be a God send (lol, pardon the pun..). I'm just so scared! Haven't done half the revision I should have and I need to get a few practice essays in before the actual exam.

Does anyone else have the AQA Biol 4 resit in the afternoon, too? I do! :frown: As if a 3 hour exam wasn't enough..

It would be a miracle if conscience came up :colone:

Also, high UCL psych buddy!
Reply 87
Has anyone got any notes on Omni-benevolent God- I was i'll when my teacher taught this and theres nothing really in the book!
Also My Ethics teacher said he thinks they could give us a question on the differences between normative ethics and meta ethics! how the hell would anyone answer that!?
Reply 88
Original post by jbarfie
Has anyone got any notes on Omni-benevolent God- I was i'll when my teacher taught this and theres nothing really in the book!
Also My Ethics teacher said he thinks they could give us a question on the differences between normative ethics and meta ethics! how the hell would anyone answer that!?

Here's my omnibenevolence notes:

God is good

Medieval philosophers influenced by Greeks held God was simple not complex (Ockham’s razors). To describe God was to describe a perfect being (Anselm) Aquinas ‘he lacks no excellence’
Only perfect being worthy of worship consists of goodness along w/ omnipotence & omniscience
Swinburne draws analogy w/ parent involving both punish/reward

Euthyrphro Dilemma

What is the connection between God and objective moral good? - Omnipotence vs. omnibenevlonce
Voluntarism - morality seems arbitrary can we really reject the idea that there is an objective moral standard independent of God?
Platonism limits power & trad Christian sees him as highest reality & foundation of morality

Does God have a choice?

If God only does ‘good’ things then it would seem that when he does something moral he couldn’t have done otherwise = really a moral action? (synonymous w/ free will and determinism + moral responsibility)
However, not all accept that the goodness of an action is in the intention only virtue ethics does (which is the foundation of Christian though)

What do we mean by good?

meta ethics links
If we take voluntarist approach, can apply Moore’s open q. argument ‘is what God wills good?’
Basing our lives on so called ‘will of God’ just subjective pref Emotivism & prescriptivism

Problem of Evil

God’s goodness of lesser value if he has to do good & is not freely choosing to do good actions
Logically impossible for God to do evil (omnipotence definition)
Links w/ miracles if God is omnibenevolent then why water into wine & allow holocaust?
God often see as partisan on old testament e.g. Joshua 10 defending Israelites in their violent battles
Old testament actions often see as immoral e.g. Abraham sacrifice of Isaac
Counter-arguments epistemic distance + interpretation/creation of Bible

Should God reward & punish?

Judgement day fundamental concept in Christian + ultimately rewarded/punished in heaven or hell

Yes

Kant summum bonum suggest good God should reward. We are obliged by duty to try and bring about, is a world in which moral behaviour leads to happiness. Moral arguments states there must be an afterlife in which we are rewarded for moral actions (free will & determinism & moral responsibility link)
Reflects trad views about afterlife & God as farther figure
If God is just then surely people should be rewarded for their behaviour appropriately problem of evil Hick everyone goes to heaven link
Reward & punish central to our understanding of right & wrong (Skinner ? free will and determinism ? conscience)

No

Means religious do good for hypothetical imperative (Kant) however, omniscient God would see through
If he’s omniscient seems contradictory to judge actions he caused (free will + Boethius)
Omnibenevolence inc. forgiveness if he is unable to forgive is he somehow less then than humans?
Determinism evil actions explained by determinism (undermines C concept of free will + free will defence)
If morality is just about reward & punishment then doesn’t it become entirely empty?

Can hell exist?

Against some C views + POE evil is illusion/separate from God
Does the crime fit the punishment? i.e. how can a finite crime warrant infinite punishment? Inc. original sin fruit for thousands of years of evil?
Universalists e.g. Hick ultimately all humans will be saved
Swinburne human freedom must inc. freedom to damn ourselves
Others give symbolic interpretation. Heaven & hell not real but intended to inspire commitment to teachings (religious language + hypothetical imperative)

As for meta ethics, I'd do this:

what is normative ethics and meta-ethics
Ethical naturalism - by looking for what is right, it is being a normative theory by telling us what it means to be good and how to get there (by looking at the environment)
Intuitionism - this is more related to conscience, but by saying good is a universal concept, it is bordering normative ethics but it doesn't tell us how we can be good or to understand our intuition
Emotivism - not a normative ethical theory at all, can be extended to normative ethical theories are just their own boo-hurrah e.g. Bentham's theory is just hurrah pleasure and Kant is just hurrah universalism
Prescriptivism - this is very much a normative ethical theory as it's about writing laws which all must follow - similar to Kant
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by Noodlzzz
It would be a miracle if conscience came up :colone:

Also, high UCL psych buddy!

haha, totally agree :colone: and hello! though.. I'm doubting by the day I'll get the grades. Especially for philosophy, it's only 2 weeks away! waaaaaaah
Reply 90
haha, totally agree :colone: and hello! though.. I'm doubting by the day I'll get the grades. Especially for philosophy, it's only 2 weeks away! waaaaaaah

How did your Jan results go? I need a B both exams to get the A overall. With the pot luck nature of examiners and the different subjects that come up I could get anything from an A* - D haha. How's psychology going?
Reply 91
Original post by jbarfie

Concerning the possibility of a meta/normative ethics question, I don't think the question would be about the differences between them as that is factual and hence doesn't leave much room for any AO2. More likely I reckon would be to set a question implicitly demanding that you understand the differences like (off the top of my head) "Assess the view that biocentric views are meaningless".
Is it just me or do you find that the Ethics mark schemes seem a lot vaguer and more 'wishy-washy' compared to the philosophy ones?
Reply 93
How did your Jan results go? I need a B both exams to get the A overall. With the pot luck nature of examiners and the different subjects that come up I could get anything from an A* - D haha. How's psychology going?

Lucky you! Well, January was messy. It wasn't a good time for me, so as a result I got an A in psychology and a D in biology (yeaah.. fml). It was a middling A in psych though, so I'm hedging my bets with getting an A* overall. That leaves philosophy to get an A* in.. so it adds a lot of pressure. I think getting an A is realistic, but I guess it's all down to the questions on the day.

I haven't really done a lot of revision for pschology, but it's one of my last exams so I'm concentrating on my resit biol 4 and this. I seriously think I'll be heading for queen mary though, the grades for UCL really are impossible.
Reply 94
Here's my omnibenevolence notes:

As for meta ethics, I'd do this:

what is normative ethics and meta-ethics
Ethical naturalism - by looking for what is right, it is being a normative theory by telling us what it means to be good and how to get there (by looking at the environment)
Intuitionism - this is more related to conscience, but by saying good is a universal concept, it is bordering normative ethics but it doesn't tell us how we can be good or to understand our intuition
Emotivism - not a normative ethical theory at all, can be extended to normative ethical theories are just their own boo-hurrah e.g. Bentham's theory is just hurrah pleasure and Kant is just hurrah universalism
Prescriptivism - this is very much a normative ethical theory as it's about writing laws which all must follow - similar to Kant

Thanks that really helps! Don't really wont a question on it though nor the meta-ethics one, but if they do I only need 130/200 for an A so might be ok! But I woud love the A* :3
Thanks again!
Seeing as there is no mark scheme available for the jan 2011 papers... i was wondering if people could give me feedback on the following essay response (I've bullet pointed what i wrote to summarise)

Critically assess the view that the conscience is the voice of reason

Spoiler

I didn't know how I could evaluate these points though. Any suggestions?
Reply 96
Original post by prince_of_paupers
Seeing as there is no mark scheme available for the jan 2011 papers... i was wondering if people could give me feedback on the following essay response (I've bullet pointed what i wrote to summarise)

Critically assess the view that the conscience is the voice of reason

Spoiler

I didn't know how I could evaluate these points though. Any suggestions?

Very hard to find fault, but a few general things:

- Just for flow I'd put Newman before Freud etc.
- Freud and psychs do actually agree that conscience is reason if conditioned to be so. So someone who is bought up Christian in psychologists eyes do have a religious conscience that is the voice of God as they are conditioned to do so, doesn't mean God exists, however
- Mostly in relation to Newman, bring in the Euthyphro dillemma. So if they take an intellectualist view point i.e. something is good and God commands it because of this, it could be argued that it's our reason, God given, that tells us what is good

TBH don't even need to include that, seems very good!

Lucky you! Well, January was messy. It wasn't a good time for me, so as a result I got an A in psychology and a D in biology (yeaah.. fml). It was a middling A in psych though, so I'm hedging my bets with getting an A* overall. That leaves philosophy to get an A* in.. so it adds a lot of pressure. I think getting an A is realistic, but I guess it's all down to the questions on the day.

I haven't really done a lot of revision for pschology, but it's one of my last exams so I'm concentrating on my resit biol 4 and this. I seriously think I'll be heading for queen mary though, the grades for UCL really are impossible.

Did UCL specify the A*? You'll do fantastic I'm sure!
Here's my omnibenevolance notes

YOU ARE AMAZING!!! Thank you SO much for those notes! Could you possibly post your omnipotent ones too? (We had a mix up with teachers at this point in the course so I have v sparse notes on this topic and I reckon it is likely to come up in the exam!)
I'm sure you'll get an A*!

---also would anyone be willing to share/send me their notes on RELIGIOUS LANGUAGE please as I've just revised it all and want to check I've included eeeverything! Thanks in advance and hope everyone's revision is going well... :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by mytsrusername
YOU ARE AMAZING!!! Thank you SO much for those notes! Could you possibly post your omnipotent ones too? (We had a mix up with teachers at this point in the course so I have v sparse notes on this topic and I reckon it is likely to come up in the exam!)
I'm sure you'll get an A*!

---also would anyone be willing to share/send me their notes on RELIGIOUS LANGUAGE please as I've just revised it all and want to check I've included eeeverything! Thanks in advance and hope everyone's revision is going well... :smile:

Here's all my philosophy notes, just write back if you don't understand the abbreviations!
Reply 99
Did UCL specify the A*? You'll do fantastic I'm sure!

unfortunately. I think it's cause I applied with a B in biology. Boo :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending