The Student Room Group

Really strong pulse?

Does anyone else have this? A really strong, pounding pulse all over their body. Not fast just really strong. I mean I can see my neck pulsing in the mirror, I can feel it in my fingers and hands when touching things. I also have a visible stomach pulse, and when I'm lying down my head kind of bobs up and down because of the pulse. As I'm sitting here now with my laptop in bed my pulse is even shaking my laptop. This came on quite soon after I had "anxiety" issues, and possible heart issues, but the heart issues have been ruled out now after multiple trips to the hospital.

So yeah does anyone else have the same thing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes! I have this and I hate it. I have anxiety and although this pulse and heavy heartbeat felt irrelevant from that, I did notice it only came on once I got these stress and anxiety problems. I find that if you keep yourself really hydrated it helps. I also use aromatherapy essential oils as certain smells can actually calm you down and settle your heartbeat.
Reply 2
You should do your blood pressure when you experience this pounding pulse, just to make sure you're not entering hypertension grounds
Reply 3
Original post by m90
Yes! I have this and I hate it. I have anxiety and although this pulse and heavy heartbeat felt irrelevant from that, I did notice it only came on once I got these stress and anxiety problems. I find that if you keep yourself really hydrated it helps. I also use aromatherapy essential oils as certain smells can actually calm you down and settle your heartbeat.

Ahh thanks I might try drinking more water and see if that helps! Do you ever get it in your head too? Like whenever I climb the stairs its pounding in my head!
Reply 4
Original post by biosteve
You should do your blood pressure when you experience this pounding pulse, just to make sure you're not entering hypertension grounds

I've had my blood pressure checked a number of times and while the doctors have said its fine I have a cheeky look and its quite high like 150/75. Which is kind of worrying but im guessing its just whenever I get it checked it goes up as I have developed a kindof blood pressure-anxiety as a result of this pulse.

Also I had a cardiac stress test (the treadmill test) and my systolic went up to about 200 which is completely normal for exercise and literally my body was pulsing so much I thought it was going to burst. So hopefully this means that the strong pulse is unrelated to hypertension.
Reply 5
Iv actually had this myself since i was young but only bcoz i played footy and i think it is mostly for me to do with sugar levels etc. bcoz i used to only ever get it when playing football which i have been since i was 5. however it can also be anxiety. so possibly u fall into 1 of these categories? also it can be from dehydration i think iv heard once but not sure just try what you can.

ps 150 over 75 isnt extremely high mine is usually around 140 over something between 69 and 77. although i play a lot of sports coz i play for football club just so you know.

hope i helped
::cool:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone else have this? A really strong, pounding pulse all over their body. Not fast just really strong. I mean I can see my neck pulsing in the mirror, I can feel it in my fingers and hands when touching things. I also have a visible stomach pulse, and when I'm lying down my head kind of bobs up and down because of the pulse. As I'm sitting here now with my laptop in bed my pulse is even shaking my laptop. This came on quite soon after I had "anxiety" issues, and possible heart issues, but the heart issues have been ruled out now after multiple trips to the hospital.

Yes, it's called a heartbeat.
Yes my blood prrssure is 124 78 same exact thing feels like im bobbing see in my neck anxiery is biggest part of it ive had 6 ecgs eks bloodwork xtays and they say healthy its annoying though drives me crazy makes my anxiety worst just you dont fret your fine
Reply 8
so did it go away please help me i hqve the same symptopms
Original post by Tdub123456789
Yes my blood prrssure is 124 78 same exact thing feels like im bobbing see in my neck anxiery is biggest part of it ive had 6 ecgs eks bloodwork xtays and they say healthy its annoying though drives me crazy makes my anxiety worst just you dont fret your fine

124/78 is actually normal, 150 is high
Reply 10
I've the same thing. My heart wouldn't stop pounding hard. I can feel it all the time, see it on both sides of my neck when I look into a mirror. making my anxiety worse, had a panic attack recently which I never had before. It all started when I tried a new whey protein powder which actually caused my heart rate to go down a lot, like 49 bpm. Stopped it, heart rate went back to normal range 60~90 but the pounding never went away. Did an ecg and blood test, nothing's unusual, blood pressure sometimes low, never high. It's worse if I have some bloating which cause some tightness on my upper body. Sometimes I feel like there's something stuck in my chest. I'm worried that there's something wrong or that this will be forever. Anyone knows how to reduce the strong pounding?
Original post by ssah92
I've the same thing. My heart wouldn't stop pounding hard. I can feel it all the time, see it on both sides of my neck when I look into a mirror. making my anxiety worse, had a panic attack recently which I never had before. It all started when I tried a new whey protein powder which actually caused my heart rate to go down a lot, like 49 bpm. Stopped it, heart rate went back to normal range 60~90 but the pounding never went away. Did an ecg and blood test, nothing's unusual, blood pressure sometimes low, never high. It's worse if I have some bloating which cause some tightness on my upper body. Sometimes I feel like there's something stuck in my chest. I'm worried that there's something wrong or that this will be forever. Anyone knows how to reduce the strong pounding?

I have the same stuff going on - please if you find any causes PM me :smile:

I have it worse when I eat food or eat too much - it goes much worse.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Omg I have this too to the point where you can see my chest move as my heart beats it’s annoying but I guess at least you know it’s actually beating
Original post by Anonymous

Original post by EmMcG
Omg I have this too to the point where you can see my chest move as my heart beats it’s annoying but I guess at least you know it’s actually beating

I do not think is normal. I can not sleep on the side of my heart because it's beating and pounding and it's just very uncomfy for me, it's hard to relax and I'm prone to anxiety panic attacks.
Reply 14
I experience this also - I started duloxetine (ssri) and found it has helped quite a bit and can go through a few days now without noticing my heartbeat. Triggers for me that make this worse are alcohol (can get really intense) and food, particularly big meals. I have also started taking probiotics and I think they have helped too. I've been completely cleared by all the doctors also buts its very frustrating as I never used to have this!does anyone else also find that deep breathing makes things worse?
Reply 15
Anyone been able to figure out what this is?
Reply 16
Did anyone figure out what this is?
I have the same issue, all of a sudden for 2 weeks now, I can feel/hear my heartbeat. Especially after eating and before sleep. At night when I lie down trying to sleep, it feels like it's pounding.

Stomach and chest moves up and down with each heartbeat. Sometimes slight vibration and others a very noticeable movement.

Went to a&e, blood test,ecg and x-ray was perfect.

I am losing my mind, sometimes feels like it's going to blow up.

I have eliminated caffeine, oily food and still it is there.

I will be going to my gp tomorrow and hopefully will be referred for a ultrasound and ecg monitor.

Will update.
I feel for anyone with this as it does suck not knowing what is causing it.

P.S: surely this must be causing heart damage? Due to it pounding so hard at times?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 17
As per my post above (ej125) I haven't been able to get to the bottom of it. I have had something like this for 3 years and duloxetine has helped quite a bit. although I'm still not back to normal by any stretch. Mine are also with an internal tremor (whitch is so strong at times my teeth shatter) it's made worse the day and days after alcohol. I'm about to start 'autogenic' training on the NHS so will see how that goes, but I do see my problem as physical as my anxiety is now almost non existent but the pain keeps going or gets worse...
Reply 18
I have been having the same symptoms for about 5 months, bounding pulse which can be noticed on different parts of the body, the most annoying is the two arteries on the back of my head which pulsates when I am trying to sleep. It is the most ****ed up annoying thing ever. I notice it also when standing or sitting but only if I focus my attention to it. I have not tried ECG but blood sample and blood pressure tests were fine. I am fairly sure my body has some kind of anxiety but I myself is not experiencing much anxiety, not more than before the pulse started. It is just really annoying having this symptom. I am 28 years old in case anyone wonders. I have started to live a more healthy life in hope that it makes it go away but I can't say I notice much improvement. Just ordered CBD oil (no THC, and legal in my country) in hope that it will calm down my pulse/body whatever, I'll get back to this post later.Hoping for the best future for everyone.
Reply 19
I started experiencing the same thing this year. I noticed that my blanket was bouncing up and down, then noticed that my hair is constantly pulsing! It's creepy and I get conscious of how I appear in public because of it. I can feel it in the back of my head, my hands, bottom of my foot sometimes and I can visibly see my heart beating through my chest as well. I can't figure out what's causing it but my guess is it's the body's way of making up for something to do with your circulatory system. I'm not a doctor and having seen one but I think it has to do with anemia. I don't believe that CBD / Cannabis, yoga, stress / meditation /breathing techniques, aromatherapy , tea or anything like that actually helps. But getting nervous does exacerbate the symptoms for me. If anyone knows anything respond

Latest