The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LukethePianoMan
Ah great for me then, I have done M1 and M2, S1 and S2, D1, which probably won't be too helpful and FP1,2 and 3, though I imagine I might have to refine some of my methods when I get to uni as I like to take shortcuts, especially when doing first and second order differential equations. I'm hoping physics will be full of the kind of maths I can do well.

And I think there are enough girls in Durham to pick any college, and I have also heard St Marys has the stereotype of being full of lesbians, which I am sure isn't true, but might drive away the boys who ahve heard that.

I think you'll be well set for first year, and maybe a fair bit of second year too (depending on how much differentials you've done). Taking shortcuts for first and second order differentials probably won't be much of a problem - when we get to more complicated ones (especially partials), it's usually just declaring 'this is the answer' - more so in quantum mechanics with the Schroedinger equation.

Ah yeah, that's a good point. I don't know where I picked up that stereotype, because I don't remember anyone telling me it.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
All accomodation is done after results day I think, so they know exactly who will be living in the college.

Since I'm an international student, I dont know when thats gonna be! Do you know?
Original post by shruperstar
Since I'm an international student, I dont know when thats gonna be! Do you know?

'results day' refers to the release of A-level results to UK students. This happens on 18th August this year I believe.

Oh sorry! Its 18th of August, so you will hear from Durham after that, or possibly just after when your results day. Do you have any results pending as part of a conditional offer or do you have an unconditional offer?
Reply 4884
Physics at Hild-Bede. Just because I'm a masochist :tongue:
Original post by Awoodrow2
I think you'll be well set for first year, and maybe a fair bit of second year too (depending on how much differentials you've done). Taking shortcuts for first and second order differentials probably won't be much of a problem - when we get to more complicated ones (especially partials), it's usually just declaring 'this is the answer' - more so in quantum mechanics with the Schroedinger equation.

Ah yeah, that's a good point. I don't know where I picked up that stereotype, because I don't remember anyone telling me it.

Well I'm finding differential equations easy at the moment, so we probably haven't gone that deep into it. There are probably more particular integrals to learn. How did you find the practical physics modules?
PhD Chemistry - St Cuths
Oh sorry! Its 18th of August, so you will hear from Durham after that, or possibly just after when your results day. Do you have any results pending as part of a conditional offer or do you have an unconditional offer?

I have a conditional offer in hand but the condition has now been fulfilled! I just have to intimate Durham! Also, I was sent a college membership form in when I stated my preferred college (Mildert) but I did not hear back from them. However, in my offer letter it says I'm in Mildert. Is that strange or do they not let students know they've been accepted? :\
I have a conditional offer in hand but the condition has now been fulfilled! I just have to intimate Durham! Also, I was sent a college membership form in when I stated my preferred college (Mildert) but I did not hear back from them. However, in my offer letter it says I'm in Mildert. Is that strange or do they not let students know they've been accepted? :\

I'm not sure. Do Durham know you have fulfilled your offer?
I'm not sure. Do Durham know you have fulfilled your offer?

Nope, I don't have a marksheet yet, I just know what my results are because they were posted online!
Nope, I don't have a marksheet yet, I just know what my results are because they were posted online!

Congratulations! Did you apply through UCAS?
Congratulations! Did you apply through UCAS?

No I didn't! I applied thru the university website! And, thank you :smile: Are you a current student at Durham?
No I didn't! I applied thru the university website! And, thank you :smile: Are you a current student at Durham?

No, we're all applicants =)
Original post by mafia dude
No, we're all applicants =)

Undergrad I'm guessing? :smile: Obviously, I haven't come across too many grad students like myself to answer my queries!
Undergrad I'm guessing? :smile: Obviously, I haven't come across too many grad students like myself to answer my queries!

Aye, undergrad
I thought all ye postgrads were amassing in that neighbouring thread :eek4:
Reply 4895
They placed me in the wrong campus, it was John Snow at first but now Idk where I'm gonna be.
Has any1 had this problem?
Well I'm finding differential equations easy at the moment, so we probably haven't gone that deep into it. There are probably more particular integrals to learn. How did you find the practical physics modules?

There are several second order partial differential equations which we're not expected to even know how to solve - just that "the solution to a [insert name of mathematician here] equation is a [another name] function", and not even to know what the function is. It gets pretty hairy.

Practical physics, I assume lab modules? I flit between really enjoying them, and hating their guts. First year, and start of second year, they generally feel quite short and pointless, and not enough time to finish the work required. As you get into second year, they get a lot more enjoyable because they're spread over a longer time period, and there's a lot more help available.

A few people are worried that taking a lab module in 3rd year will drag down their grades (lab reports are our equivalent of essays, and I always get 62-68, no matter how much work I've put into them), but now I feel more reassured that they'll help me get at least a 2:1. :tongue:

Ye we are all current applicants together here! Most of us still have A levels to do to fulfil our conditions, so you are one of the lucky ones as you have already got in!
Original post by Awoodrow2
There are several second order partial differential equations which we're not expected to even know how to solve - just that "the solution to a [insert name of mathematician here] equation is a [another name] function", and not even to know what the function is. It gets pretty hairy.

Practical physics, I assume lab modules? I flit between really enjoying them, and hating their guts. First year, and start of second year, they generally feel quite short and pointless, and not enough time to finish the work required. As you get into second year, they get a lot more enjoyable because they're spread over a longer time period, and there's a lot more help available.

A few people are worried that taking a lab module in 3rd year will drag down their grades (lab reports are our equivalent of essays, and I always get 62-68, no matter how much work I've put into them), but now I feel more reassured that they'll help me get at least a 2:1. :tongue:

Ah I haven't done partial differential equations yet, that will be something to learn over the summer/first year. You may be surprised that one of the conditions of my offer is an A in A Level further maths which I was surprised at considering you don't even need that for single maths for this year!
I was relieved when I found out I only do the first lab module and your comments are reassuring that I'll get through them. I looked at a thread about university scores, saying over 80 was publishable standard, do you ever get over 70 in any of your pieces of work?
Ah I haven't done partial differential equations yet, that will be something to learn over the summer/first year. You may be surprised that one of the conditions of my offer is an A in A Level further maths which I was surprised at considering you don't even need that for single maths for this year!
I was relieved when I found out I only do the first lab module and your comments are reassuring that I'll get through them. I looked at a thread about university scores, saying over 80 was publishable standard, do you ever get over 70 in any of your pieces of work?

Partial differentiation I swear I encountered before we did them in lectures, but I can't remember where. I felt quite familiar with the concept, but actually solving the more involved ones is really horrid, and taken mathematicians a long time.

I am very surprised about that! Do you know if that's specifically you, a NatSci thing, or a new thing for Physics?

First labs aren't particularly difficult, just can be quite stressful when the equipment refuses to work - I had a talent for making the apparatus fail just by choosing it (once I had to move desks twice before I could get any results...), but reports are pretty hard to get wrong if you put any work into them. I still have problems with the Discussion/Conclusions sections of them, although I mainly blame that on the limited scope of the experiments we're given.

I've heard the publishable standard thing before - I don't actually know if anyone I know has gotten that in a lab report yet. The whole point is that if that's how they calibrate the markscheme, logically lower years really shouldn't be able to get highest grades, because you would never publish their work.

Latest