The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Accomodation ! and Entry Requirements

What would be the best option for accommodation, my course is economics which i believe is at the White knights campus. I want to be self catered, and want to have an en- suite room ?

Also, regarding my entry, how lenient are reading if people don't achieve their entry requirements. I need ABB, to do BSc Economics, which I think I wont get. I'll end up getting ABC, I reckon. Will they let me on ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For accommodation. You have Mackinder/Stenton and windsor (on campus), and there is less expensive Sherfield which is 10 mins away from campus. There is also St georges or Student villiage. Look at this, useful to compare http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/FILES/accommodation/Comparison_Chart_11_to_12.pdf

Is your offer through grades or UCAS because for my course you can include AS to put less pressure on the 3 A-levels.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Gemzaar
For accommodation. You have Mackinder/Stenton and windsor (on campus), and there is less expensive Sherfield which is 10 mins away from campus. There is also St georges or Student villiage. Look at this, useful to compare http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/FILES/accommodation/Comparison_Chart_11_to_12.pdf

Is your offer through grades or UCAS because for my course you can include AS to put less pressure on the 3 A-levels.

yeh ive got an offer with AS that's with 340 pts, but i got an E in my AS Computing which i dropped, and haven't bothered to retake. So my offer still stands at 320 pts even if i choose the AS route.
Reply 3
Original post by bijesh12
yeh ive got an offer with AS that's with 340 pts, but i got an E in my AS Computing which i dropped, and haven't bothered to retake. So my offer still stands at 320 pts even if i choose the AS route.

Ah I see, well I don't think there is any way of knowing, if they liked your personal profile they may still let you on. I'm not sure how lenient Reading is.
Original post by bijesh12

It will depend, much the same as it does at other universities, on numbers. If enough people meet their offers to fill the spaces they won't take you; if not, they might.
Reply 5
I find Reading to be one of the lenient Universities, I got in despite missing out on a grade. Someone in my flat also got in with ABB when their course asked for AAB (It was LLB Law), I know at least three others that have had similar experiences.
Reply 6
It depends on how everyone else does in their exams...
Also, because this is the last year on the old fee system (before they go up to £9000) it will mean more people would have applied than last year.
:smile:
Reply 7
I am in exactly the sme situation , but for English and History... Being as my english teacher didn't teach our cwk properly so I won't be able to get a B now...

I have everything crossed that they let me in.... :frown:

XXX
Reply 8
Original post by FTstudies
I find Reading to be one of the lenient Universities, I got in despite missing out on a grade. Someone in my flat also got in with ABB when their course asked for AAB (It was LLB Law), I know at least three others that have had similar experiences.

Which subjects were the other 3 people do you know?

Thanks xx
Reply 9
Original post by Hannah...
Which subjects were the other 3 people do you know?

Thanks xx

English Language, Film & Theatre, Consumer Behaviour & Marketing, and LLB Law as I mentioned. Don't actually know anyone that does Economics myself hah.
Reply 10
English Language, Film & Theatre, Consumer Behaviour & Marketing, and LLB Law as I mentioned. Don't actually know anyone that does Economics myself hah.

Ahh thanks, I'm hoping to do Eng and History, going to miss my B in english though. Do you rreckon if i ring on results day that if they have space for just history they'd give me a place? Assuming I don't get onto Eng and Hist? x
Ahh thanks, I'm hoping to do Eng and History, going to miss my B in english though. Do you rreckon if i ring on results day that if they have space for just history they'd give me a place? Assuming I don't get onto Eng and Hist? x

Possibly, I'd check UCAS in the morning first at 6am. They instantly changed mine to 'Unconditional' last year, so I was dancing around the house, it was only when I went to get my A-level results that I realised I had actually missed out by a grade, but that didn't matter since I already knew I had my place!
Reply 12
Possibly, I'd check UCAS in the morning first at 6am. They instantly changed mine to 'Unconditional' last year, so I was dancing around the house, it was only when I went to get my A-level results that I realised I had actually missed out by a grade, but that didn't matter since I already knew I had my place!

Do they change them that early then? I've been told they don't change the decisions on UCAS until we have our results - so would have to check at school? x
Do they change them that early then? I've been told they don't change the decisions on UCAS until we have our results - so would have to check at school? x

They supposedly don't go on til 7:30am I think? But every year, including last year, people such as me were trying to log on as early as we could, I got on about 630am and saw my results, then I saw all of my friends posting their FB statuses saying they had got in to their first choices.
Reply 14
They supposedly don't go on til 7:30am I think? But every year, including last year, people such as me were trying to log on as early as we could, I got on about 630am and saw my results, then I saw all of my friends posting their FB statuses saying they had got in to their first choices.

Fingers crossed that'lll be me then :smile: how do you like Reading??? x
Fingers crossed that'lll be me then :smile: how do you like Reading??? x

Indeed! It is AMAZING! You'll definitely fall in love with it when you arrive, the campus.... the night life, everything! What halls have you chosen out of interest?
Reply 16
Indeed! It is AMAZING! You'll definitely fall in love with it when you arrive, the campus.... the night life, everything! What halls have you chosen out of interest?

Ahh I came on the open day and it was dead sunny and pretty :smile: Errm Wessex as first, and I'm on the wiating list :frown: and Wantage as sencond and third. Which halls are you in? So so so hoping they let me in. Do not want to go to my insurance - Sheff Hallam. :frown: Xx
Ahh I came on the open day and it was dead sunny and pretty :smile: Errm Wessex as first, and I'm on the wiating list :frown: and Wantage as sencond and third. Which halls are you in? So so so hoping they let me in. Do not want to go to my insurance - Sheff Hallam. :frown: Xx

Ahh right, I'm in Mackinder myself, I know people in Wantage though. Ohh Sheffield Hallam? Hmm, yeah it's definitely the type one would have for insurance... hope you get in though!
Reply 18
Ahh right, I'm in Mackinder myself, I know people in Wantage though. Ohh Sheffield Hallam? Hmm, yeah it's definitely the type one would have for insurance... hope you get in though!

Yeah, I really want to be in Reading :smile: Hoping they just let me in for something and then I could shuffle across toHistory? Do many people do that?
Also, random - do all the halls have wireless internet? xx
Yeah, I really want to be in Reading :smile: Hoping they just let me in for something and then I could shuffle across toHistory? Do many people do that?
Also, random - do all the halls have wireless internet? xx

Unfortunately it's all cabled as far as I know. My flatmate brought a wireless router with her and those with laptops connect to it, so hopefully someone in your flat will also do the same.

Yeahh, my friend started doing Business and is now doing Philosophy out of randomness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending