The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by twelve
Yep same, just under two weeks til my first exam. I want them over with, but I am sooo not ready yet...

The A* thing is actually killing me, without it i could coast on BBE and still get an AAA..
Now i have to do even better than last year.. wtf.. fml..
Reply 2301
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
The A* thing is actually killing me, without it i could coast on BBE and still get an AAA..
Now i have to do even better than last year.. wtf.. fml..

I know samee... :/

I'm kind of losing hope for the A*, but I said on another thread how it completely depends on how things go on the day - if I have a really good day I could end up with full marks on any of my exams. Bad day, not so much. Although even on a bad day, I could still end up with an A, which is technically all I need. Ahhh, soo frustrating :/
Original post by twelve
I know samee... :/

I'm kind of losing hope for the A*, but I said on another thread how it completely depends on how things go on the day - if I have a really good day I could end up with full marks on any of my exams. Bad day, not so much. Although even on a bad day, I could still end up with an A, which is technically all I need. Ahhh, soo frustrating :/

Just gotta keep trying i guess..
I'm trying to see an "unconditional offer" on next years UCAS as light at the end of the tunnel :rolleyes:
Reply 2303
Been stalking this thread for ages - finally got over myself enough to respond.

Got 4 pre-interview rejections :biggrin: I wasn't too smart with my application though, applied to 2 BMAT unis then failed to put in more than a day's revision - epic fail at 4.4, 4.9 and 3B. Consequently lost both (Oxford and Imperial). UKCAT was average at 665, but neither Leeds not King's thought that was good enough for interview. Reading back though, my PS was a bit rubbish.

My GCSEs are 11A*, 1A 1B. 4 As at AS and 3A* predictions at A2 as well as 2As (already cashed in last year).

I have a bradford clinical sci offer like others on this thread... I have accepted it just in case something goes wrong and i don't get 3As at A level, but I am fully intending to withdraw on results day all being well.

Sounds a bit cheesy but reading this thread makes me feel normal, thank you :P

I am trying to apply for jobs and sort my CV but I feel really negative about it, I've never worked in my life and a lot of them ask for basic experience (like admin) which i just haven't done. So I have decided I may go to Bradford if I don't get a job by September :frown:

A few questions...

1) Is it possible to apply through UCAS whilst on a course? Does this break any contracts you sign? Could I, for example, apply through UCAS, accept any theoretical offers, then try for the Leeds transfer and withdraw from other offers if successful? How cheeky is it :biggrin:

2) Should I apply to say, 1 BMAT uni? I know i failed it last time, but seriously think it is very revisable. Dare i say it - is oxbridge out of the question? Does anyone know of anyone who has been accepted as a re-applicant?

3) Any advice on the job hunt considering I have very little experience (other than voluntary work etc). How do I make myself sound like a good candidate even though I've never been employed?

4) Totally random but I need to learn to drive for a lot of jobs. How do you revise for driving theory test?

Apologies if these have already been asked/answered, I haven't read through the whole thread.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by jabjooba

Got 4 pre-interview rejections :biggrin: I wasn't too smart with my application though, applied to 2 BMAT unis then failed to put in more than a day's revision - epic fail at 4.4, 4.9 and 3B. Consequently lost both (Oxford and Imperial). UKCAT was average at 665, but neither Leeds not King's thought that was good enough for interview. Reading back though, my PS was a bit rubbish.

My GCSEs are 11A*, 1A 1B. 4 As at AS and 3A* predictions at A2 as well as 2As (already cashed in last year).

I have a bradford clinical sci offer like others on this thread... I have accepted it just in case something goes wrong and i don't get 3As at A level, but I am fully intending to withdraw on results day all being well.

I am trying to apply for jobs and sort my CV but I feel really negative about it, I've never worked in my life and a lot of them ask for basic experience (like admin) which i just haven't done. So I have decided I may go to Bradford if I don't get a job by September :frown:

A few questions...

1) Is it possible to apply through UCAS whilst on a course? Does this break any contracts you sign? Could I, for example, apply through UCAS, accept any theoretical offers, then try for the Leeds transfer and withdraw from other offers if successful? How cheeky is it :biggrin:

2) Should I apply to say, 1 BMAT uni? I know i failed it last time, but seriously think it is very revisable. Dare i say it - is oxbridge out of the question? Does anyone know of anyone who has been accepted as a re-applicant?

3) Any advice on the job hunt considering I have very little experience (other than voluntary work etc). How do I make myself sound like a good candidate even though I've never been employed?

4) Totally random but I need to learn to drive for a lot of jobs. How do you revise for driving theory test?

Apologies if these have already been asked/answered, I haven't read through the whole thread.

holy crap, 4 rejections with those kinda grades

as for the job im in the same position, i think we all are, im just tryna big up my extra curriculars etc

what kinda jobs you applying for?
Reply 2305

A few questions...

4 pre-interview rejectionsss yayy, me too. And same UKCAT score... :ninja:

And now for your questions:

1) You can apply while you're on a course, but you need to check that the universities you apply to are happy for you to do that. Some places don't want dropouts from any course, for obvious reasons. Dmz was going to do this, so ask him :smile:

2) I don't know about the BMAT (the chance of failing and ending up losing a choice scared me off it) but I'd say make sure you seriously consider where the weaknesses of your application were before. You say you think that your PS was rubbish, but what do the universities say about it? Obviously it won't have been your grades, but Leeds give good feedback on their scoring system. For example, I know that I don't need more voluntary work, but I need to demonstrate a bit more passion about the course for next year. Make sure you find out about that. I don't know if there are people who have been accepted as reapplicants to Oxbridge, but I'm sure there are. I guess its probaly kind of rare, because once you've been through the cycle once, you just want a place anywhere. I wouldn't even consider Oxbridge if it was me, just because I don't want to waste a choice - I just want to go and study medicine. You have better grades than me though, so you probably could do it, if you improved your PS. Its a personal choice, but basically you need to make sure you know WHY they rejected you.

3) I'm sure if you apply to enough places you'll get a job - so far I've applied to maybe 7 HCA jobs, and heard only one thing back - and its not even an interview yet. And I've applied to a couple of jobs as a waitress/bartender. There are jobs out there - you just need to make sure you big up your voluntary work/work experience. Find ANYTHING relevant to the job you're applying for in your work experience etc. And look for posts that don't ask for experience. Failing that, get more voluntary work - at least it'll give you experience. Work in a charity shop, then at least you can say you have experience in retail. Is it a relevant job you want? Or just the money? I'd apply to any job you find, anywhere. Chances are you'll get at least one of them. And then at least you have job experience so you'll be able to get your next job.

4) Driving theory test books - and make sure you practise hazard perception. As someone with a good memory, the rest of the test was fine, but hazard perception was a beast...
Reply 2306

A few questions...

I don't know if someone's answered this, too lazy to read so here goes
1. Not a lot of uni lets you do these, think i found about 8 like PMS, Southampton, sheffield. Can't remember the rest. Might be more than 8, some want a reason why you're leaving your degree

2. Not my area but futuredoc got an interview from Cambridge. Tome a re applicant got into KCL and had your sort of grade so it's up to you but I'd advise finding uni that favours your application, ones you'd have an edge with like Birmingham or Liverpool in your case. Also your UKCAT would have got you in an interview at Glasgow, barts and at least somewhere else. I got the same but post interview rejection and Glasgow :cry:

3. I was 5months into my gap year before finding a care job at which point it was too late. Care homes, especially bupa don't ask for experience. But need an nvq 2 to work in hospital round here but i think it depends where you're from.
4. Not really no. Meant to book my theory since last November. Gonna do it right now. Lol.
Been talked down from burning Glasgow University to the ground. I only failed on "commitment to medicine". SIGH.
Reply 2308
**** it I'm tearing that **** to the ground :colonhash:

Nah I'm too ****ing nice. Love getting told i can do ****, spurs me on!
Original post by dmz
**** it I'm tearing that **** to the ground :colonhash:

Nah I'm too ****ing nice. Love getting told i can do ****, spurs me on!

Leave glasgow uni alone demi. :angry:

No, just kidding. You can burn it if you want. I will help you. :colondollar:
Original post by Harbour Seal
Been talked down from burning Glasgow University to the ground. I only failed on "commitment to medicine". SIGH.

Is that all you failed on? What were they looking for in commitment to medicine?

Sorry. :wink:
Original post by firestar101
Is that all you failed on? What were they looking for in commitment to medicine?

Sorry. :wink:

I don't know. My friend at Glasgow Uni says I can combat this with work experience and more volunteer work. So it's not actually too bad, but I feel that if they read my personal statement they'd know I was committed.

I'm getting in next year, even if it kills me.
Reply 2312
I don't know. My friend at Glasgow Uni says I can combat this with work experience and more volunteer work. So it's not actually too bad, but I feel that if they read my personal statement they'd know I was committed.

Similarly, my feedback from Newcastle said I struggled in the 'commitment to Medicine', despite me working at St John Ambulance, a care-home and local Beaver group every week for a year. This is so much more than any of my friends who got in, it's almost laughable. I realise there are other aspects in displaying commitment, but I would certainly consider myself the most committed Medic amongst my friends. Ah well.
Reply 2313
leicester medical school are ANNOUNCING their new criteria It's not even worth the trouble.
Reply 2314
Original post by Jabbo12
leicester medical school are ANNOUNCING their new criteria It's not even worth the trouble.

What do you mean?

Original post by Eragon.
Similarly, my feedback from Newcastle said I struggled in the 'commitment to Medicine', despite me working at St John Ambulance, a care-home and local Beaver group every week for a year. This is so much more than any of my friends who got in, it's almost laughable. I realise there are other aspects in displaying commitment, but I would certainly consider myself the most committed Medic amongst my friends. Ah well.

I know, I missed out on 'Motivation and Interest' according to Leeds, but I feel like calling them up and telling them just how motivated and interested I am. Thats surely the point of an interview? grrrrr....

Anywayyy, I know what you mean about people who have done less getting in - as bad as it sounds, I know a guy who got in who was saying he's not sure how well he'll cope, because he isn't as motivated as he should be... seems really unfair that he's going off to do exactly what I've been wanting for soo long :/
Original post by Jabbo12

Where exactly is this..?
Reply 2316
hi fellow re applicants...
just a quick question...

how much work experience do you think is enough for a med application?
im really struggling to find more than what i have now...

do you think the interviews will be given out via top UKCAT score like this year?
Original post by coffeeloverr
do you think the interviews will be given out via top UKCAT score like this year?

Yeah, I think they'll just take the top 800 candidates according to school results and UKCAT. However, I think the UKCAT cut off will be higher this year - people will avoid applying to glagsow if they don't have a good enough score.

I've got bets on the 670 mark....

A few questions...

I know you muwhahaha!:cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending