The Student Room Group

Applying for Retail Job With No Previous Retail Experience

I am looking to apply for a retail job, as I believe that it will be the least problematic with regards to fitting in around uni. However, I have no previous retail experience, as all of my previous jobs have either been in healthcare, or social care, such as healthcare assistant, support worker etc.

I will soon be starting in a charity job, where I will be doing an NVQ whilst volunteering there, as this will benefit the search for a retail job in the future, however, if possible, I does anyone have any experience of having gained employment in the retail sector with very little previous experience?

Thank you in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Try somewhere where they take on more or less anyone such as Sports direct etc
Places who do regular recruiting tend to be less picky about applicants and also look for places who offer casual hours as they are also a good place to start.
Reply 3
Original post by ufo_01
Try somewhere where they take on more or less anyone such as Sports direct etc
Places who do regular recruiting tend to be less picky about applicants and also look for places who offer casual hours as they are also a good place to start.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
Yes, I got a job at Greggs with virtually no experience of work of any kind beforehand at all. My CV was good in other respects and my interview went well. My sister worked for the same manager at a different branch, but I like to think I'd have got the job anyway...:wink:
Reply 5
I got a job at TK Maxx with no experience. If you're only looking for a weekend job most places aren't too picky. Supermarkets are also good as they don't usually require experience and they often have a lot of evening and weekend hours that will fit in around uni.
I started at dominos and then I managed to get retail experience at game over the christmas holidays and then clintons over valentines week. Now I work for a bank. Funny that.
Reply 7
River Island!

I'm sure we just hire anyone who turns up at recruitment...
I'd say places which hire a lot of staff such as Primark would be your best bet for a first time retail job.
Original post by metro2610
River Island!

I'm sure we just hire anyone who turns up at recruitment...

As long as they're not fat. Don't think I've ever seen an even slightly chubby person working there haha
Original post by vicky_1234
As long as they're not fat. Don't think I've ever seen an even slightly chubby person working there haha

I'm going to interpret that as a compliment actually vicky_1234 :wink2:

Although... Come to think of it...
Reply 11
Thanks for the advice everyone, you're being very helpful :smile: Good to see it's not as hopeless as I though it'd be.
I'm going to interpret that as a compliment actually vicky_1234 :wink2:

Although... Come to think of it...

Take it how you like :tongue:

It's true though haha
Take it how you like :tongue:

It's true though haha

Will do! :yy:

Haha, I think you might be on to something here though... Going to ask the managers on Saturday :tongue:
Reply 14
I managed to get a job at Next as a Christmas temp with no experience and am now a permanent staff member. Once you have a foothold in retail work, you'll be fine, so try and look for temporary jobs maybe?
Will do! :yy:

Haha, I think you might be on to something here though... Going to ask the managers on Saturday :tongue:

I'm pretty sure my mate knows someone who's like a size 16 being turned down because she didn't fit the image or something...harsh.
I'm pretty sure my mate knows someone who's like a size 16 being turned down because she didn't fit the image or something...harsh.

The bastards!! :eek:

Where was this?
The bastards!! :eek:

Where was this?

Liverpool haha must have been proper devastating for her.
Liverpool haha must have been proper devastating for her.

I bet! :s-smilie:
I've got an interview at Asda and no retail experience. Not got the job yet obviously, but they wouldn't give me an interview if it was an issue, you should be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending