The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jing_jing
The RNA polymerase moves down the sense strand, so the copy it makes is the anti-sense strand. This means that when it comes to translation, the AA attatched to it are the ones coded by the sense strand. E.g. if one triplet code on the DNA was CCG, then the code on the RNA would be GGC, and the anticodon that binds to the RNA would be CCG, so the AA attatched to the polypeptide is the one coded for by CCG.

Whats a sense strand? I use the AQA text book and never remember them mentioning such thing??
Original post by Ramin Gorji
Whats a sense strand? I use the AQA text book and never remember them mentioning such thing??

You may know it as the coding strand or reference strand? It's something that was taught at AS biology.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ramin Gorji

coding strand - sense strand
non coding strand - anti sense strand

so when RNA polymerase copies a strand, it will move along the non coding strand (anti sense strand) and use it as a template for synthesing mRNA.

In AQA book it is called the template strand (anti-sense) strand. (just pulled the book open. pg224 called template strand.
(edited 12 years ago)
You may know it as the coding strand or reference strand? It's something that was taught at AS biology.

ahh right ok, it annoying how text books vary so much in terms of terminology used. Back to some more Biology revision for me :/
The RNA polymerase moves down the sense strand, so the copy it makes is the anti-sense strand. This means that when it comes to translation, the AA attatched to it are the ones coded by the sense strand. E.g. if one triplet code on the DNA was CCG, then the code on the RNA would be GGC, and the anticodon that binds to the RNA would be CCG, so the AA attatched to the polypeptide is the one coded for by CCG.

other way round brah!
Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
other way round brah!

-____- You're right, my teacher has managed to teach us it the wrong way round. Thank goodness for TSR :tongue:

EDIT: Bleugh, this is confusing, I have one textbook that says 'the RNA polymerase moves along the sense strand'. So yeah, if anybody is using the green 'A2 biology for AQA' I'm gathering that it's wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
-____- You're right, my teacher has managed to teach us it the wrong way round. Thank goodness for TSR :tongue:

EDIT: Bleugh, this is confusing, I have one textbook that says 'the RNA polymerase moves along the sense strand'. So yeah, if anybody is using the green 'A2 biology for AQA' I'm gathering that it's wrong.

I would just say RNA polymerase moves down the template strand. Like it says in the aqa book. :dontknow:
I would just say RNA polymerase moves down the template strand. Like it says in the aqa book. :dontknow:

:laugh: Yeah that definitely gets round the problem and is what I'd say as well. And I currently have 3 textbooks that are all calling themselves the AQA textbook :tongue:
:laugh: Yeah that definitely gets round the problem and is what I'd say as well. And I currently have 3 textbooks that are all calling themselves the AQA textbook :tongue:

The Nelson thornes one is the officially and exclusively endorsed one :colonhash:
The Nelson thornes one is the officially and exclusively endorsed one :colonhash:

Yeah, I've got that one. However I've found that in some cases it doesn't go into sufficient detail (either that or I'm just nosy and want to understand the processes a bit more) in which case the other two are useful. One of them is written by the chief examiner and has a lot of application, data interpretation and how science works questions in which is really useful when you consider how much of B4 and B5 is applied biology.
Anyone got any tips for the application questions? Or is it just a matter of doing all the exam questions in the textbook? :tongue:
Reply 271
does anyone know where i can find good practice question that are like the ones you find in the exam papers?
i've already done the exam style questions, summary questions etc in the nelson thornes book and the GCP revision book ANDDDD the specimen and june 10 past papers!!!
its the only way i revise and i need more questionssssss :frown:
Reply 272
Original post by emmaaa65
does anyone know where i can find good practice question that are like the ones you find in the exam papers?
i've already done the exam style questions, summary questions etc in the nelson thornes book and the GCP revision book ANDDDD the specimen and june 10 past papers!!!
its the only way i revise and i need more questionssssss :frown:

There's a link that was posted in this thread before : http://www.mediafire.com/file/ynzizz...%20Biology.rar

There's over 300 questions that you can practice from :smile:
Reply 273
Original post by Mazii
There's a link that was posted in this thread before : http://www.mediafire.com/file/ynzizz...%20Biology.rar

There's over 300 questions that you can practice from :smile:

i tried that but it doesnt open :frown::frown::frown::frown:
Reply 274
Original post by emmaaa65
i tried that but it doesnt open :frown::frown::frown::frown:

Just realised it's expired. Soreeh.

Yu can inbox me your email address; and I can email it to you.
:smile:
Original post by Mazii

Would it be possible to send it to me as well? :smile:
Reply 276
Would it be possible to send it to me as well? :smile:

Sureeee :smile:
Just gimme your email address
Reply 277
Original post by Mazii

aww thanks! such a babe!
So far I have revised 4 out of 8 topics (1st time around.)
Overall Im finding it pretty difficult because there is tons to memorise.
How are all of you finding revision and how far are you.
Essay question is a killer!
Hey,
Does anyone have the AQA A2 Biology Unit 5 Jan 2011 paper and markscheme??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending